Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please critique my Sebring lap.......thanks!....Update 6/14/10

Old 03-02-2010, 06:39 PM
dtm407
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

turn 1-too early and need to be all the way to the right and did not track out to right
turn 3-too late, its a gradual earlier turn in
turn5-to late
turn 7-too soon
turn 10-perfect
turn 13-perfect
turn 15-too late, bad line afterward, need to be all the way to left
turn 16- too late-didn't hit rumble strips
turn 17- can not even relate to this line- need to be taking the line the red car was taking

hey tucker: how is the campaign going?

doug
Old 03-03-2010, 12:01 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by p997s123
Aiptek GVS w/ clip on wide angle lens

I am heel/toeing on every downshift! I think the problem may be I am coasting and am soft on the brakes because I am now heel/toeing. This gives me time to try to rev match and brake at a more comfortable pace. I will work on my technique. Seems much more difficult for me to heel/toe and be HARD on the brakes at the same time. ( no wonder my brakes and tires are holding up so well)
Well, then you're not doing it very well or you're doing it perfectly because I can't see a blip in your tach on a lot of your corners. Look at the entry into Turn 10... That's at least a couple of downshifts and the tach is barely moving..
Old 03-03-2010, 02:30 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Originally Posted by DogInBlack
Come on Jenk, you know your way around Sebring!
ha, somewhat but i've only been there one time even though i picked it up fairly quick. therefore, i'll leave it up to the regulars to coach up the kid

i will say as your confidence and experience grows. you will be able to cut out the early braking and coasting
Old 03-03-2010, 03:31 PM
dew-e
Advanced

Wow, lots of great feedback in here so far. I would definitely head the advice to try and work on these issues one turn at a time. Also, keep in mind that most instructors primary concern in the right seat is self preservation. You will have some instructors that have a higher degree of tolerance to more aggressive lines, and some of them may want you to stick very close to the "DE line."

The only item I have to add that I haven't already seen mentioned is turn #9. You turn in very early, and use a lot of steering input once you are past the apex to get yourself onto the left side braking line. I like to take this turn with a much later turn in. This allows me to use very little steering to get myself perfectly straight line into the braking zone for 10.

I also don't come all the way across the track in the braking zone at Turn 13. I like that you are coming across the track at an angle in the brake zone for 13, instead of trying to drive straight with the track, but I start my turn about 1.5 cars over from the left side rumbles. There is actually a really good crosshair from a crack in the pavement and some repaving with concrete that I use as a marker. You have have to find out where you put your car relative to that marker to find what feels best for you and the car. The same for turn #1, if you haven't had the "X" or cross hair pointed out to you, ask an instructor to show it to you.

At this point you should no longer be using cones or any type of moveable object as a reference marker. Start looking at trees, buildings, and the pavement to get much more detailed reference points. Sebring is great in that there are so many non-visual reference points. I know if I have taken turn #17 really well because i miss the huge potholes on the inside and outside of the turn just past the second apex. I also expect to get a minor rear wheel chirp while braking hard into turn #1 from a bump in the pavement. I get this chirp at almost the same exact time that i get my visual queues to start my turn-in. If I don't get my visual, audio, and butt-feel queues like I expect, I have a pretty good idea that I screwed something up.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:25 AM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish to thank all of you again for taking the time to provide such great insight/information. Looking forward to begin incorporating this info on the track.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:51 AM
jenk12m
Banned

have fun and be safe
Old 03-04-2010, 03:04 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

P997S123, will you be at the Chin Saturday event in April?
Old 03-06-2010, 01:29 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

It might be interesting to see a video fro your next outing at Sebring.
Jack
Tampa
Old 03-07-2010, 01:30 AM
mdrums
Race Director

I went back a re-watched you video again. I really do not like doing to much critique from video because I can not feel what the car is doing. However for this being your 5th time out and for me thinking back to students I've had you are really doing an excellent job.

You have the basic line down no issue and the main this is see is you are being smooth with your hands.

So now you get to start to work on the fun things:
No coasting!
Braking a little later
Getting on the throttle earlier
Threshold braking
Trail Braking
Throttle steer
Playing with different lines through 17
As you go faster you line will have subtule changes to it
Cositant laps hitting your marks evey time
Start moveing from useing the cones as a ref and using spots on the track, trees and such that never move. Those cones are never set up the same way.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:35 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Trail braking at a PCA event, YIKES !!
Don't tell Skippy

Jack
Old 03-07-2010, 11:36 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by pedsurg
Trail braking at a PCA event, YIKES !!
Don't tell Skippy

Jack
You don't trail brake? Who's Skippy?
Old 03-09-2010, 02:43 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey D.S. nice video...great for only 5 days...just keep it up, more seat time and try more threshold braking...i tell newbies to feel the ABS kick in once each session then dial back to know where the edge is (if you have abs) soon you'll be lapping me..
Old 03-13-2010, 03:46 PM
smarlow2
Advanced

You got a lot of good feedback from guys that know the track, but I wanted to comment on the music soundtrack. One of the more important aspects of using video is being able to hear and see when you are on and off the throttle, and you just can't do that very well with music playing. I understand if you are trying to make an entertaining video, but if you want to use it for training, especially by having others watch it to critique you, get the best sound you can, leave off the music and turn up the volume when you watch it. Good luck and have fun!

Steve Marlow
NASA AZ Region Licensing Director
NASA Certified Instructor
944 Spec #74
Old 04-25-2010, 09:14 PM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Update..4/24/10

Well I have had a couple more track days since my last post. Graduated to intermediate solo with Chin
A friend of mine sat in the passenger seat giving his thoughts and I think really helped me out. He stressed balance of the car at turn in.......slow in fast out...much earlier braking than I had previously been shown.....not standing on the brakes until the last moment nose down at turn in....as you can see I still miss apexes and still have the car unbalanced at times but I feel I am heading down the right path and [I]beginning[I] to understand the smooth way around the track. Thanks again for all of your input!

Latest video:
Old 04-25-2010, 10:09 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Congrat's on going solo! You seem to be driving smoooth which is key. Your brake markers will change as you pick up speed.

See you May 1st at Sebring again?

Last edited by mdrums; 04-25-2010 at 10:50 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Please critique my Sebring lap.......thanks!....Update 6/14/10