Old 02-25-2010 | 01:01 PM
M758
Race Director

Default Spec boxster adopted by NASA

Figured this might interest some here.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/
NASA announces the new Porsche Boxster 986 Series
February 24, 2010 6:51 AM —
The National Auto Sport Association (NASA) is pleased to announce a new racing series for Porsche Boxster 986 chassis cars. NASA has secured the rights to the already successful Boxster Spec series created and managed by Bill Bodine, a long time Porsche racer from Southern California. Bodine will continue his involvement with the series as the National Director.

“We’re very excited to be working with Bill to take the Boxster Spec program to the next level”, said Ryan Flaherty, NASA’s National Chairman. “This is a great platform to work with and we hope to combine our national presence with Bill’s proven leadership to get more folks involved with the series”

Bill Bodine added that “NASA’s high quality nationwide events will not only provide our current Boxster Spec drivers with more and better racing opportunities, but will encourage those in the Midwest, East and South to jump onto the Boxster Spec party-wagon. This couldn’t be better timing for the growth and continued success of Boxster Spec Racing.”

More information on the Boxster Spec series can be found at www.boxsterspecracing.org.
Old 02-25-2010 | 01:03 PM
syncspeedinc
Instructor

Yep, that is great news for those of us currently building cars right now.
Old 02-25-2010 | 01:58 PM
Glen
Race Car

That is great news!
there will be a NASA race at MSR Cresson in 2 weeks, bet there will be a good group there.
Old 02-25-2010 | 02:52 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Be careful, they'll probably claim it as their's if it is successful. If SpecBoxster as an entity wishes to remain independent, please obtain contracts for seasons/events. Require NASA to acknowledge SpecBoxster's independence.
Old 02-25-2010 | 03:02 PM
M758
Race Director

I been involved with 944 spec since it started in 2002. I have seen it grow from nothing into the largests single class in at Nationals last year.

944 spec is a NASA class and I have spend time with national level leadership. Their have been times we have had to fight for things, but in the end 944 spec being with NASA has been good for our class and good for our drivers. NASA is by no means perfect, but racing under the NASA banner makes it easier operate and grow.

I think it is a very good thing for the boxster guys. FWIW I have zero involvment with spec boxster in any way.
Old 02-25-2010 | 03:44 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Very pleased with this announcement !
Old 02-25-2010 | 04:15 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by John H
Be careful, they'll probably claim it as their's if it is successful. If SpecBoxster as an entity wishes to remain independent, please obtain contracts for seasons/events. Require NASA to acknowledge SpecBoxster's independence.
I would say Spec Box is already successful and by bringing it to another venue other than just PCA is will become even more successful.
I think the key to it's NASA success is that both parties continue working together for the best of the CLASS overall, when individual egos get involved then it can hurt the class, and ultimately the other racers involved.

Great news as I see it !
WTG Bill and NASA for forming this partnership
Old 02-25-2010 | 04:43 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Note the section of the quote that Joe posted

NASA has secured the rights to the already successful Boxster Spec series created and managed by Bill Bodine,
Old 02-25-2010 | 06:57 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

And the great tire war rages on. PCA Spec Boxster supports running 255 square while Bodine, and therefore NASA does not.
Old 02-25-2010 | 07:00 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by jakermc
And the great tire war rages on. PCA Spec Boxster supports running 255 square while Bodine, and therefore NASA does not.

Go BIG or go home. Wait till you see what my NON-Spec Boxster wears.
Old 02-25-2010 | 07:26 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Anyone want to trade a BMWCCA JP/NASA GTS2 BMW 330Ci for a Spec Boxster?
Old 02-25-2010 | 08:48 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Run what ya brung, it's all good !

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Anyone want to trade a BMWCCA JP/NASA GTS2 BMW 330Ci for a Spec Boxster?
Old 02-25-2010 | 08:49 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

I'll just sign up for spec boxster and see if anyone protest me .
Old 02-25-2010 | 09:01 PM
Surfbum
Rennlist Member

It would be great if any of the existing car owners would please talk to Nasa and discuss any thoughts on changes to "the spec".
I dont believe they have adopted the rules as of yet, and it may be an great time to make some changes.
From what my mechanic is telling me a rear diff would make alot of changes on how those cars would come out of the corners.
Old 02-25-2010 | 10:04 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Sure it would make an amazing difference. But what exactly is the point? You are racing against other Boxsters none of which have an LSD.

The consensus amongst the drivers is why raise the cost to entry?

Not sure where you heard differently but as far as NASA goes, they are adopting the official rules as published by http://www.boxsterspecracing.org/

Originally Posted by AZ997TT
It would be great if any of the existing car owners would please talk to Nasa and discuss any thoughts on changes to "the spec".
I dont believe they have adopted the rules as of yet, and it may be an great time to make some changes.
From what my mechanic is telling me a rear diff would make alot of changes on how those cars would come out of the corners.

Quick Reply: Spec boxster adopted by NASA