Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ex Koni Car for Sale

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 04:24 PM
gomez1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know what... that is good to hear and hopefully I'll be in cup cars one day. Hopefully I can find one that is in good shape. I've heard so much back and forth but what I've gathered here is that unless your racing at a professional levels (like James) you don't have to rebuild the engine for a long while. But I'm sure someone would disagree with me on that statement as well.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:35 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Of the POC guys racing cups for the past 4-5 years, I only know of one that blew and that was a flywheel coming loose off a new motor that obviously wasn't properly torqued. I could list maybe 15 guys racing both 6 and 7-cups in that period and I only know of 1 that blew up.

The biggest expense racing cups is by far tire costs. Having a close relationship with a shop that runs IMSA is the best source for take-offs. Many of us race take offs exclusively....
Old 02-27-2010, 07:23 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

I would say that if you were going to race a street based 997S at the level James is talking about it is going to cost at least as much as a cup.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:45 PM
gomez1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll start another thread and we can discuss the advantage, cost, pluses and minuses and things to think about when choosing a route to take when considering a race/track car. I feel bad we've hijacked this thread to talk about this when we should be helping AZ997TT sell this wonderful Koni car!
Old 02-27-2010, 09:23 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Started another thread here for anyone that wants to add their thoughts to the cup car vs street car - track car debate!

Fuel the fire here and not AZ's for sale thread...

http://www.renntrack.com/forums/show...eet-car&p=5930
Old 02-27-2010, 10:58 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
Started another thread here for anyone that wants to add their thoughts to the cup car vs street car - track car debate!

Fuel the fire here and not AZ's for sale thread...

http://www.renntrack.com/forums/show...eet-car&p=5930
No keep it going, I believe all these points being brought out here only helps an interested buyer get alot of well educated opinions!!

For the what it is worth catagory, I the last four years I have owned & tracked the following cars:
2004 996 GT3
2007 997 GT3 RS
(2) 996 Ex Koni Cars (Horsepower Ranch)
2005 996 Cup
2006 997 Ex Koni car (Motorsport Technology)
2007 997 GT3 (Carmine)
To make a long story short, I had a passion for Ferrari's and when I took my 430 out on the track, the guy who sources my cars freaked out and got me the 996 GT3 to track so I didn't wad up my Ferrari!
After finding out the nuiances or driving a rear engine car I went a little (well actually alot) overboard in an effort to find "the perfect Porsche track car".
Due to the classing system of our local Nasa chapter it has been a wild, sometimes frustrating, and expensive quest to get the right car into the right class.
Here is what I have learned:
There is no ONE PERFECT Porsche!!
Each one has its advantages and disadvantages depending on what appication and series or club the driver wants to be in, combined with the drivers ability.
I think I did a pretty good job of comparing Carmine to a 997 cup, in the end for ME I felt that the running costs were going to be a little less when you factor in the tranny refresh costs.
Now that is not to say that someone who knows how to shift that box would end up with the same result.
To Garrets defense, none of us will ever truly understand the reasons motivating him on what he and Loren acomplished. I can tell you this however, we hired Darren Law for a day of driving coaching and he REALLY, REALLY liked Carmine. Given the toys he gets to play with on a daily basis, that is one heck of a seal of approval.
There is one more point I would like to make since this started as a for sale thread, the car offered would be an incredible club racer for a couple of reasons. Steve Marcus runs a top notch operation and is very competitive in the Koni series. He has done an incredible job with the build and original sorting out of this car. Secondly, by not being hampered by Koni specs, I was able to lighten this car quite a bit and gave it a total paint job to make it look as good as it drives.
I chose to have Evolution rebuild the motor to Koni specs and balanced the motor to give someone a very reliable motor that can be replaced relatively inexpensively whenever that may be, I dont know if that is going to be 100 or 200 or 300 hours, alot of that depends how hard, and the conditions the new owner drives it.
If someone wants to club race or run the Perilli Series on the west coast, then I can promise you that this car will be very competitive and is well sorted out.
Please do continue to discuss the pros and cons of all the various cars mentioned in the previous replys, because the more educated all of us become, the better the chances of someone coming to the conclusion that this particular car is going to be as close to perfect for the appliocation they wish to use it in.
If I didn't have other horses in the stable I would not be offering this car for sale.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Somebody out there gotta want a new toy!!
Old 04-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Price reduced to $75,000
need the money for new project

Quick Reply: Ex Koni Car for Sale