Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What do you think of the Limerock Race Schedule?
I would rather 1 Sprint and a 60 minute Enduro
58.82%
I would rather the 2 Sprint races
29.41%
I'm not going so I just don't care
11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

CVR Limerock Club Race - No Enduro?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
If you had your way, it would be an 8 hour enduro with no driver changes allowed. And no refueling, you get out and run when the car gets empty.
And if it's raining Jimmy wants a 5 mile swim in "Limerock Lake" by the left hander!
Old 02-23-2010, 11:58 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
If you had your way, it would be an 8 hour enduro with no driver changes allowed. And no refueling, you get out and run when the car gets empty.
Oh yeah, thats for sure... Maybe we should add that the car needs to cross the line too, so it would be fun to watch Iron-Jimmi towing his 6-Cup up the Hill strapped to his back with the harnesses like a Roman Gladiator.

I have a statistical bias for Sprint Races (1 DNF in 19, while in Enduros 5 DNFs in 8), and IMO its usually more hardcore fast racing (in Enduros it only happens if you have someone running almost on the same 10th). Enduros are just different and equipment durability and some luck matters a lot too.

LimeRock, being so short and brutal on Left tires, is the one track were I really dont mind not having an Enduro.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
I have a statistical bias for Sprint Races (1 DNF in 19, while in Enduros 5 DNFs in 8),
Tell Spencer to stop building 40 minute engines (just joking guys!)

and IMO its usually more hardcore fast racing (in Enduros it only happens if you have someone running almost on the same 10th). Enduros are just different and equipment durability and some luck matters a lot too.
Luck matters some, but by and large, I feel it takes better racing skills to win an enduro. In a sprint, all you have to do is go fast for about 20-25 minutes as it is rare to have to deal with lapped traffic.

In an enduro, you almost certainly will have to deal with traffic (you are either lapping someone or being lapped). How you deal with that will play a factor in how well you finish. To some, it may seem like luck...

Sure, there is some luck involved if you pit right when a yellow flag comes out. That doesn't really happen often though. And even when it does, there is some skill involved.

For example, at last year's Mosport enduro, I came around 5A/5B to see a car nearly in the wall and I got very sideways as the track was slick. I decided to pit because I was sure that they would have to throw some kitty litter on that turn and caught the yellow flag just as I entered the pits. Was I lucky? Yes. However, about half the race field had the opportunity to make the same pit stop, and only one other car decided to do it.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:34 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
Tell Spencer to stop building 40 minute engines (just joking guys!)

Luck matters some, but by and large, I feel it takes better racing skills to win an enduro. In a sprint, all you have to do is go fast for about 20-25 minutes as it is rare to have to deal with lapped traffic.

In an enduro, you almost certainly will have to deal with traffic (you are either lapping someone or being lapped). How you deal with that will play a factor in how well you finish. To some, it may seem like luck...

Sure, there is some luck involved if you pit right when a yellow flag comes out. That doesn't really happen often though. And even when it does, there is some skill involved.

For example, at last year's Mosport enduro, I came around 5A/5B to see a car nearly in the wall and I got very sideways as the track was slick. I decided to pit because I was sure that they would have to throw some kitty litter on that turn and caught the yellow flag just as I entered the pits. Was I lucky? Yes. However, about half the race field had the opportunity to make the same pit stop, and only one other car decided to do it.
I wish the issue was the engine, as we all know how reliable this 3.4 are in modding them to rev up to 12krpms!
It is always that annoying little part that has binary failure rates/effect (PS Cooler, hoose, oil seal, shifter cable, etc.)

I Agree that fast in Racing means the one who finish ahead (Wins) and not necessarily the faster at doing lonely laps, and real racing requires passing other in class as well as slower traffic. It is rare the case that 2 racesrs are so equal that the heat of the battle maintains through the whole Enduro race (like your Enduro Race agains Bico last year at LRP. That was really cool to watch). Usually the slighter faster guy opens a gap and only external factors or a major screwup will make the race tight again in an Enduro. In a Sprint race, every lap, every turn and every mistake counts: You can be 4/10laps faster than someone else but if in one lap you think for too long about passing a slower car (In H Stock you always catch lapped traffic after 15mins), or put 2 wheels off and loose 2secs a lap, the gap you built over 5 laps is gone.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:25 AM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

Its only a hobby.
Race
Have fun
Go home
Old 02-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roketman
Its only a hobby.
Race
Have fun
Go home
Been doing yoga Ron?
Old 02-24-2010, 12:25 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys! I'm just feeling the love here on RL!

Sell the car yet Ronnie?

As for Mike's analysis....spot on!

JL
Old 02-24-2010, 06:49 PM
bsztanko
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Been doing yoga Ron?

last I saw he was doing drifting in the paddock...
Old 02-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bsztanko

last I saw he was doing drifting in the paddock...
Yeah, that was my last memory too.. Maybe he's been born again.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:31 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Man...... you guys are cruel.......
Old 02-24-2010, 08:06 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

Ya born again...........Not
Old 02-24-2010, 08:32 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roketman
Ya born again...........Not
Hey Ron, ya scared all the GTC1 guys into Spec Boxsters!!

Quick Reply: CVR Limerock Club Race - No Enduro?