AIM Smartycam - what is the latest

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey Jerry, how are you?

I'm a little slow. Does it actually log data that can be analyzed separately or is the main use integrating with an aim system to create the overlay on video?
Old 02-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

I'm getting one installed in my Spec Box very soon!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
Hey Jerry, how are you?

I'm a little slow. Does it actually log data that can be analyzed separately or is the main use integrating with an aim system to create the overlay on video?
No it doesn't log the data separately in it's current configuration.

It just overlays the data that:

a. it gathers.
b. it reads from ECU via special cable
c. it reads from certain AIM data loggers (MXL and EVO)
Old 02-18-2010, 08:37 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
No it doesn't log the data separately in it's current configuration.

It just overlays the data that:

a. it gathers.
b. it reads from ECU via special cable
c. it reads from certain AIM data loggers (MXL and EVO)
So if I have my AIM MXL Dash and I install the SmartyCam I LOOSE the ability to download the data from the Dash into the Analysis software?
Old 02-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by cgomez
So if I have my AIM MXL Dash and I install the SmartyCam I LOOSE the ability to download the data from the Dash into the Analysis software?
No. You just can't get it off the SmartyCam. You still do everything with the dash exactly the same. I was only talking about the memory card on the SmartyCam. The data overlay is recorded automatically onto the video. There is no 'data' per se on the SmartyCam.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:32 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sean

Joe has pretty much answered your question. However, I would add that Smarty Cam does log Longitudinal and Latteral G's and you can embed that on the video. If you have no other data, you could look at the video and see when and how much throttle and braking is done. With some practice, you can also pick out trail braking using the G meter. We've all heard about the "circle of friction" concept. The latest firmware version offers a nice G-G meter and you can tell if you are maximizing your transition from braking to turning. It is nice to see visually instead of on a graph (with a good driver like you of course). So, no real data to analyze with the AIM software, but there is some data you can look at visually. Of course, lap times on the video is"data" as well.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

This is a link to some Smartycam videos of all different types: http://www.smartycam.com/on-board-ca...es-gallery.htm
I still don't understand the scuba one!
Old 02-22-2010, 07:02 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

I got to try smartycam in my car at sebring, and was pretty impressed. With throttle position, brake pressure, and rpm from my mxl I think it would be a great tool. I'm using a mac, and downloaded VLC to play the avi video format. It worked fine, but doesn't seem to want to fast forward or rewind very well, or skip to different parts. The screen gets blurry, and doesn't want to catch up to the sound. My friend that loaned it to me played the video on his pc first and says he has the same problem. Anyone else dealt with this issue? I use bootcamp and windows xp to run race studio analysis, so I'll probably run it under that once I replace my stolen laptop. What video player do you use for .avi files on the pc side?
Old 02-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

VLC has worked great for my files. They are often very big files so anything that may be light on processsing/video power could have some issues. How big was the file?
Old 02-22-2010, 08:40 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe, are you going to be going to any NASA VIR or Road Atlanta events soon? I'd like to try it out like we planned last year, but didnt get a chance to.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:16 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Yeah, I'll be at the VIR event. I saw you in the paddock this weekend but was caught up with a few other things and never caught you in your pit. I only had time to be there Sunday AM.

There will also be a good data seminar on that NASA weekend at VIR. Al Seim, Peter Krause, and Don Knowles will all be there.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

AIM does have version 3 of the SmartyCam on the way and due in by the end of the month. They are supposed to have an external GPS antenna. Will post more information tomorrow morning.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:43 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

I don't know how big the file was off hand, but it was about 25 min worth of video. I was playing back on an imac that's about 1 yr old. Are you able to ff, rwd, skip?

I haven't heard anything on an HD version (anything firm), but I have heard they are waiting on the latest version you speak of any day now.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:56 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I'm able to bounce around and it takes just a moment <1 sec for it to stop pixelating. I can FF at 4.0x speed no problem. Any faster and it's messy.

As for HD, I never got a sense they were really into wanting one. They didn't like the idea of the file sizes going up dramatically along with the costs.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:27 AM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Are you using VLC on a PC or a mac? I'm waiting for the new macbook pro to come out, so it should have more capability, and I can try it on that.

Quick Reply: AIM Smartycam - what is the latest