Helmet Radio Harness Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 07:02 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Helmet Radio Harness Question

Running longer events like the 25Hour and Lemons races has our local group looking at radio setups. We were using Midland radios with motorcycle helmet kits but I found that the speakers in the helmet were a problem interfearing with putting my glasses back on once the helmet was in place.

So now I am thinking of going with a proper earbud and microphone kit - but am baffled as whether to choose a NASCAR or IMSA plug setup. (I realise that it doesnt matter as the adaptor kit to go in the other direction is easy to get)

So - given any one plug setup - which is appropriate given racing with NASA/PCA (my son works with Grand-Am so I'm leaning towards the IMSA setup)

Help !
(thanks)
Old 02-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 824 Posts

IMSA.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-15-2010, 08:37 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

y, IMSA
Old 02-15-2010, 08:50 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys - as I suspected IMSA seems to be winning the vote.

But why ?
Old 02-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jerry: I have IMSA. You are welcome to look at what I have at our next event. I got mine from Racing Radios (all Motorola equipment). Mine gets good reception at all parts of TH and only gets a bit of interference at Sears Point when back at T4 or carousel entry.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:55 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tom - I'll take you up on that
Old 02-15-2010, 09:49 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMSA for sure, also if you have a vendor that attends your events it would be good to support them. SpeedCom is in my area and during 48hrs Sebring they were able to make an adjustment to my setup. We could also grab some of my buds radios and have the freq modified to my channel.

Like James Garner used to say "support your local...."
Old 02-15-2010, 09:56 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Simpson is our local provider I guess - know he's at the 25Hours of THill but not sure he's at all Norcal races.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:56 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Pork vs. Beef, with a preference.

The IMSA plug is actually a mil-spec connector...can't cite the spec #, but trust me...it's a mil-spec inteface. As such, it's a rare find.

The NASCAR plug is a very common "TRS" (tip-ring-sleeve) 1/4" connector that can be found everywhere...including Radio Shack. As a techno-geek, if I were to choose a radio/helmet connector plug, I'd choose the NASCAR plug.

And I have. NASCAR plugs hanging out the back of all my helmets.

If we have a connector or radio problem, I can fix with stuff that's in my "radio box" of trackside stuff, and a soldering iron. IMSA jack / plug ? Not so much.

Funtionality...both are similar in mechanical force to connect & disconnect. So what's the difference ? 1/4" TRS "NASCAR" (aka '1/4" TRS phone plug' in the pro audio world) is widely available. IMSA plug ? Yeah...good luck with that.

I'll not engage in the snarky rhetoric...even though it's tearing at my throat...but wtf are people still using "IMSA plugs" ? Is John Bishop getting a cut ? Is the audio any clearer ? Is there some value on "non-interchangeability" ???

Come on, people...get a grip.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:43 AM
syncspeedinc
Instructor

PHT makes some very good points, the performance of these two connectors is exactly the same, although I suspect that people lean towards the IMSA plug (Nexus) at times because they see it on Pro drivers helmets. 80 % of the helmet kits/ harnesses that we sell are NASCAR style connectors, currently the only reason that we suggest the IMSA plug over the NASCAR is for folks running in cars that are already equipped with an IMSA harness or if the driver is using a mobile style radio vs a handheld unit as the mobile units (like the CM 200) do not like the common grounds between the microphone and earpieces that we use on the NASCAR connector.

Last edited by syncspeedinc; 02-16-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by syncspeedinc
PHT makes some very good points, the performance of these two connectors is exactly the same, although I suspect that people lean towards the IMSA plug (Nexus) at times because they see it on Pro drivers helmets. 80 % of the helmet kits/ harnesses that we sell are NASCAR style connectors, currently they only reason that we suggest the IMSA plug over the NASCAR is for folks running in cars that are already equipped with a IMSA harness or if the driver is using a mobile style radio vs a handheld unit as the mobile units ( like the CM 200) do not like the common grounds between the microphone and earpieces that we use on the NASCAR connector.

And that is exactly why I suggested it as well: IMSA predominates in road/sports car racing, like it or not.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:13 AM
syncspeedinc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
And that is exactly why I suggested it as well: IMSA predominates in road/sports car racing, like it or not.

Well, not exactly. I would say that would be true in certain series but for the club level racer ( PCA, SCCA, NASA....) , which 90% of our clients are, I can say that we find the other style to be much more popular. In the end it really does not matter as far as performance goes so by what makes you happy - that is why they make IMSA-NASCAR turnarounds!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:19 AM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you Professor, Veloce and Syncspeed. Explaining the WHY and not just the WHAT has given me the basis to make a more informed decision.
Now I'll do some thinking - but will probably choose IMSA just because of the equipment my son has access to will primarily be IMSA based and I can get him to assist with parts.

Quick Reply: Helmet Radio Harness Question