Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA National Instructor Cert or not??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 05:37 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was lucky enough to take that course with Pete Tremper at WGI. Very informative and (thanks largely to Pete), fun. I review the course materials as a pre-season prep.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

National PCA Instructor simply means passed the test / course- not "certified" Legal issue.
Mentors are Veteran Instructors assisting in the evaluation of candidates.

Last edited by Gofishracing; 02-08-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JR944
Correct. I also question what your friend heard. I beleive the mentors are generally accepted as capable instructors and will automatically successfully "pass" the course. Others must successfully complete a check ride and are graded by someone other than the mentor they work with during the rest of the day. I hope that makes sense.

Pete and Joe are very clear in their presentations that this is not a "PCA Certification". I often chuckle at folks who list this "certification" on theiir RL signatures.
I called the region tonight and you hit the nail on the head Looks like I'll just drive the 968 daily driver up and use it instead of transporting the race car.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:59 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the NASA Level 1 and 2 Instructors clinic last year and all I got was a plastic card with my name, an ugly picture and the words "Official Instructor License". Honestly, it was a great experience in terms of how assess the students best method of learning, priovide concise communication and keep things safe. I plan on taking the PCA clinic this year when our region hosts it....
Old 02-09-2010, 12:15 AM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JR944
Take the course. Even after instructing for many years and serving as CDI for 2 regions I found the discussion worthwhile and good reminders of things we should all be doing.

Additionally, if you want to travel and instruct elsewhere, the successful completion of the program gives you some credibility.
Joe
+1.

Dan
Old 02-09-2010, 10:34 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Alright, thanks everyone, I'll place an extra star next to that event. Now to figure out what fits into the schedule and start hammering some of the down. Trying to find folks willing to travel to Mid-O or Road Atl from VA is proving difficult for some reason.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:06 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lemming
I would not discount what BMWCCA is now doing. Last year at Barber I acted as a mentor for instructor candidates. The school was two days and had 6 or 7 class sessions and 8 on-track sessions with the candidates. On Sunday afternoon the candidates were evaluated on track by a different mentor for their instructing ability and ability to drive at the instructor level. There was then a 1.5 hr debrief of the mentors where we discussed each candidate and decided whether they passed or failed. Not everyone passed.
Peachtree BMW also holds an " Instructors Continuing Education Seminar" each year, scheduled before their first event.

This is a half day... Instructors only meeting which has proved to be very worthwhile.

It gives us all a chance to discuss and share a variety of issues, both on and off the track, as well as a few unique experiences.

Many of us instruct for a number of clubs and the BMW seminar enables us to get together and share information.

Quick Reply: PCA National Instructor Cert or not??