Sponsored by:

Deman Rotor Question - now with pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:30 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan
I agree.. The rotors still have plenty of life left..!

Thanks..

And remember..they are currently on SALE..!!!!
Rick I wish you made these 1 piece rotors for 2005-2010 Carrera S cars. I have a 2009 Carrera S.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:47 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

There's an article in the SCCA Sports Car magazine this month about brakes. It confirms what I have thought for a long time, that cross-drilled rotors are only good for the disco clubbing bling set, now that the brake pads are better and don't have the gassing problems. When will Porsche learn?
Old 06-24-2010, 12:03 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
There's an article in the SCCA Sports Car magazine this month about brakes. It confirms what I have thought for a long time, that cross-drilled rotors are only good for the disco clubbing bling set, now that the brake pads are better and don't have the gassing problems. When will Porsche learn?
Yep...I can't stand my stock rotors...but can't afford the $2500 for 2 Girodisc slotted either. so.....

I noticed on the Panamera Porsche is useing slotted rotors...wish they would wake up for the other cars!
Old 06-24-2010, 12:36 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan
I agree.. The rotors still have plenty of life left..!

Thanks..

And remember..they are currently on SALE..!!!!
The funny thing is that some PCA events will flunk you at tech for rotors that look like that.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:03 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

All due respect to those who are commenting that those rotors have plenty of life left on them, but I wonder what is the basis for that assertion? I just replaced a set of slotted rotors that looked very similar to Tom's. (different brand fwiw). I looked at them, and couldn't help but worry that the things were going to fail on me in a catastrophic way while on the track. Do we have data from destructive testing that tells us when we need to replace rotors?
Old 06-24-2010, 09:11 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Hey Rick, do you have those rotors to fit the 2010 RS with the 380 mm fronts? I loved mine on the 07 RS - got 50 days out of them using RS 29 pads.
+1, I got easy 30 days out of the fronts and relaced because I replace them once a year..
I have only 4 days on the OEM '10 rotors and they are holding up better then the '07 rotors, but still like slotted better..
Old 06-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
All due respect to those who are commenting that those rotors have plenty of life left on them, but I wonder what is the basis for that assertion? I just replaced a set of slotted rotors that looked very similar to Tom's. (different brand fwiw). I looked at them, and couldn't help but worry that the things were going to fail on me in a catastrophic way while on the track. Do we have data from destructive testing that tells us when we need to replace rotors?
I can only speak from experience with regard to this situation, we've been using the rotors in question for over 3 years with tremendous success. The pictures given on this thread of the actual rotors in question do not have any cracks looking like trouble. We've not yet had to replace a set of DeMan rotors from cracking failure, and by all accounts last way beyond most users "comfort" level of time on the car.

So, from the pictures given I would say there is plenty of time left on the rotors.

AS with all RACE/DE equipment you are using on the race track, it is HIGHLY RECCOMENDED that you very carefully inspect your equipment including rotors EVERYTIME you consider going on track. If you do not know when time is up based on your own inspection, then please get some "PROFESSIONAL" advice as to the condition.

I would offer that current and past users of the DeMan Motorsport GT3 rotors would be the best judge of longevity based on personal experience.

Thanks for all your time..

Rick DeMan

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 06-24-2010, 11:33 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

38D, nice avatar, although i was kinda partial to the old one. ( . ) ( . )
Old 06-24-2010, 01:44 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
All due respect to those who are commenting that those rotors have plenty of life left on them, but I wonder what is the basis for that assertion?
Many of us run rotors that look that bad or worse and they don't explode. That's the best real-world data you can get.

While I'm not sure if they have 'plenty of life left' (which is relative to the rotor, pad, cooling, and wear rate), I think few would toss them in this condition.

Quick Reply: Deman Rotor Question - now with pics