Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeler thread for 2 piece hat and SLOTTED rotors for Big Red brakes??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:32 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Feeler thread for 2 piece hat and SLOTTED rotors for Big Red brakes??

I just thought I'd check in here as I've been on a bit of a quest to find some slotted rotors for the track. (I don't consider the OEM vented GTS or 965t X drilled rotors an option anymore).

I became interested in a 2 piece setup for a couple of reasons. Firstly the reduction in unsprung weight. Don't have the figures but it will be lighter. Secondly the design and material of the more modern slotted rotors is superior to OEM and they're also cheaper to replace....once you get some hats made up. So then this brought me to finding these components. I have found a rotor that is actually made down here in Australia however there is actually plenty of stock in the US according to the tech guy I spoke to today. So then it's a matter of having some custom hats made. If anyone has been involved with custom parts that are designed, drawn, and CNC'd it can be expensive, especially for one off parts. So I'm in the process of checking out what a couple of guys can do as far as numbers and costs. At this stage I was only getting the fronts done but I would entertain all 4 if there was enough interest?

This idea may prove fruitless if you guys have already found a solution. I just see the question asked in many of the forums about where they can obtain some slotted rotors for their 951/928/964 (and 993, though different offset). Essentially anyone using the Big Red/Black calipers.

So if you are interested let me know and I'll continue this quest. I am speaking to the CNC guys in the next few days.

Oh and for those of you who have a line on some hats, it would be extremely fortunate if they fitted other rotors. I've already asked.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:19 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Wrightwood Racing has a front brake kit using Alcon or AP Racing rotors for the big red application. They are non floating 2 piece rotors in 332x32 and come with the caliper spacer and bolts to move the caliper out 5mm. I've used these for many years and have come in both drilled and slotted versions depending on the batch he had made. Both last a very, very long time and are much better quality. The last set I got was slotted, although I haven't seen any difference in wear between his slotted and drilled version. You might want to call Joel Reiser who is a distributor for them.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:32 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

+ 1 for Charlie at Wrightwood Racing. He's a bit of a weird dude but knows his brakes. The rotors are AP Racing that he has custom made for him. The hats are very well done and the whole set up is as good as you'll find. I've never used the drilled as he's only ever shipped me the slotted ones.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:08 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Does anyone know if the Wrightwood Racing front rotors will fit 930 brakes?
Old 02-03-2010, 02:13 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Thanks Geoffrey. Any approx. idea on costs from memory?
Old 02-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Not as much as you'd think comes to mind...
Old 02-03-2010, 03:29 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Paolo,

http://www.vehiclecraft.com/

http://www.vehiclecraft.com/Brakes/930_upgrade.htm

I had ordered a set but then returned them when I sold my 911. As far as I know, these are good gas slotted rotors (I was tired of having my cross drillled crack).

Others may weigh in.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Patrick and I are looking for the same kinda thing... 2 piece slotted 964 turbo rotors. I think Lindsey/Kokeln sell the aluminium hats.. just need to find the rotors.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:46 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Rich, they are available through Vehicle craft in the link shown above. Their kits are something like $1195 for a fixed 2 piece setup and $1350 for full floating. I think the hats are $450 and slotted rotors about $280 per side. The only minor hitch with any of these custom hats is that they're unlikely to fit any other rotor. So if you don't like their rotor or they stop making these, you've got $900 worth of hanging in the breeze! Although this would be the same with any hat. Best to work with the rotor and go backwards I'm thinking.

Last edited by 333pg333; 02-04-2010 at 06:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Feeler thread for 2 piece hat and SLOTTED rotors for Big Red brakes??