Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night racing at Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:50 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

It looks like the weather is going to be OK. Maybe you guys are going to luck out.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:17 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my 2nd time at Sebring. First time was a Chin day in Jan when I co-drove a friend's car and got 75 mins of track time here. So somehow I managed to finagle my way into the night race.

A couple of observations about last night's practice:

1. It's REALLY dark where there's no light. Sounds like a fundamental statement, but I mean REALLY dark.
2. I noticed this most at Turn 1, where in the Cup, you're on the throttle into the apex and then flat through and out in the light. In the dark, all you can see is wall, wall, wall into the apex, and then nothing. Black. You should be flat, but where is the track??
3. Some guys, maybe with even LESS experience than me here, have no idea where they are going. GTA1 guy passed me last night then went straight instead of left at one turn, managed to get it back on track, and then completely missed 16 and went way left onto the runway.
4. The lights that you see, sometimes end up in your rear view mirrors and you think they are cars that have just caught you.
5. Once you figure out how to do it and where you are going to be maybe a little slower than the day when you can see better, it's actually a lot of fun.
6. There are a lot less distractions in driving cuz all you can see is what's in front of you, if at all!

I can't wait till tomorrow night!!
Old 02-05-2010, 06:59 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by fryd
. less distractions in driving cuz all you can see is what's in front of you, if at all!

I can't wait till tomorrow night!!
+1! Let me add that anyone who believes that the standard H4 headlights (even with higher wattage bulbs) are good enough for the uninitiated (my first time at Sebring this weekend), think again. Couldlt see a thing last night in the back part of the track. I started counting seconds between corners to decide when to turn... Yes just like those germans in the u-boats 67 years ago... Some guys are running tricked out lighting aparatus... Still, it is incredibly fun to drive in the night.

What a great event.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Told you.. 200W Halogen driving light bar with 4 lights across the bumper, scare the crap out of the car in front of you!
Old 02-05-2010, 07:25 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Fred,

That was my experience during my first night race at Sebring. It's even worse if you only have a few days at the track and still memorizing brake points, turn ins and track out points. Throw in headlights in the side and rearview mirrors and it's a real blast....

It certainly makes you faster when the sun comes up.

Good luck in the race!

Quick Reply: Night racing at Sebring