Sponsored by:

Sport car series question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 01:04 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

The DP's debuted in 2003 and were a mess that year. Porsche GT3RS' finished first and third at Daytona. The highest placing DP was a distant 4th.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:35 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
IIRC, rules require teams to either retrieve them or sweep them out of their pit area.
You're right but Larry's right too. They get retrieved or swept AFTER the car takes off. I was on the pit wall at the 24 and had this same thought about the lugs as I watched pit stop after pit stop. I'm not one of these knee jerk reaction types but I can definitely see a potential problem....
Old 02-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
You're right but Larry's right too. They get retrieved or swept AFTER the car takes off. I was on the pit wall at the 24 and had this same thought about the lugs as I watched pit stop after pit stop. I'm not one of these knee jerk reaction types but I can definitely see a potential problem....
Again...look at NASCAR. When is the last time you saw someone get seriously injured from a flying lugnut? They do this every weekend. Surely if it were a serious problem, we would know it by now. I've read articles about crew members getting hit below the knees on occasion, but the only injury I remember was Jeff Burton getting hit in the hand with one and nearly breaking his finger. I suspect more guys get bumps and bruises from slinging the tires and jacks over the wall on a given weekend than from flying lugnuts.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by earlyapex
The DP's debuted in 2003 and were a mess that year. Porsche GT3RS' finished first and third at Daytona. The highest placing DP was a distant 4th.
Not surprising for a brand new race car to be a mess. Kia has been rumored to have thrown a LOT of cash at their new Conti cars, and even with Nic Jönsson and Andy Lally driving and an experienced team building the cars, they were slower than some the cheapest rental cars/drivers in the paddock.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
I'm not one of these knee jerk reaction types but I can definitely see a potential problem....
I guess that I was just in a knee-jerk kind of mood.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:07 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Grand AM says you have to use 5-lugs, in ALMS, FIA, and ACO they'd be fine as is.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:38 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Not surprising for a brand new race car to be a mess. Kia has been rumored to have thrown a LOT of cash at their new Conti cars, and even with Nic Jönsson and Andy Lally driving and an experienced team building the cars, they were slower than some the cheapest rental cars/drivers in the paddock.
Wow I just checked the results, I thought they would be immediately competitive, but they were the absolute slowest cars there, by seconds
Old 02-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by analogmike
Wow I just checked the results, I thought they would be immediately competitive, but they were the absolute slowest cars there, by seconds
It was really weird to look at time sheets and see Jönsson and Lally at the bottom all week. You KNOW those two guys have to be frustrated.

Word around the paddock is that they haven't upgraded their diff to the allowed ratio...but I don't think a diff will make up that much time. And, given the $$ Kia is throwing at it, I'm surprised the cars didn't already have diffs and hours and hours of testing.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
It was really weird to look at time sheets and see Jönsson and Lally at the bottom all week. You KNOW those two guys have to be frustrated.

Word around the paddock is that they haven't upgraded their diff to the allowed ratio...but I don't think a diff will make up that much time. And, given the $$ Kia is throwing at it, I'm surprised the cars didn't already have diffs and hours and hours of testing.
The show car sure looked pretty though...
Old 02-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cory M
The show car sure looked pretty though...
Hell, the race cars looked really pretty too!

Quick Reply: Sport car series question