Sponsored by:

Alternative to HANS??

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 02:57 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Alternative to HANS??

I will be running a car in non wheel to wheel time trial events. At this stage it won't have a full roll cage but I want to use a Head and Neck restraint. At first I have been asking around about using a standard HANS in conjunction with one of these BK harness bars. I am not sure if they will work and am waiting on a reply from BK.

http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r1020.php

However I have been directed to this type of product which I'd not seen before. Does anyone use these? Pros, Cons? Seems to suit my needs I must say.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=9573

I will have a race seat and 5 point harness, proper suit etc...but this is a road car and I don't want to cage it. I know it's a risk but from what I've seen and heard it's way less of a risk than wheel to wheel racing. A risk no doubt, granted.

Advice appreciated.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:13 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently purchased a similar device after trying out several. I wore the R3 for two hour stints at a recent endurance race and found it to be reasonably comfortable but I found I liked the Hutchens Hybrid better. It is a similar device to the R3 but with triangulation to the belt latch, and a shorter back brace. The new Hutchens Hybrid Pro is even shorter yet.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:08 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Thanks Schwank. I'll check it out.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:16 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Hans with harness bar works fine. So does an R3.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:44 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

HANS = Proper Geometry...nothing else matters.

Make sure you understand all the requirements for belt geometries, especially behind the driver and around the driver before "trusting one".
Old 01-31-2010, 11:54 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
HANS = Proper Geometry...nothing else matters.

Make sure you understand all the requirements for belt geometries, especially behind the driver and around the driver before "trusting one".
Agree and I could wear mine 24/7 and have no comfort issues...
Old 01-31-2010, 12:33 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Hybrid check www.USRacegear.com they privide a lot of good info and research thru saftey solutions.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:44 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Your first link was for a harness guide bar. The (shoulder) harnesses can NOT be terminated to this, they will have to be terminated elsewhere (rear seat belt mounts?). Clearly suboptimal for lots of reasons....geometry, belt stretch/dump, etc.

You could consider a BK harness truss, which is designed to properly mount/terminate belts...assuming they make one for your car (I don't think you mentioned what kind of Porsche we're discussing).

IMHO, I am very uncomfortable with a HANS in anything other than a fully compliant geometry installation...and even then I still don't trust the underlying design assumptions behind the HANS....but that's just the engineer in me.

I am also very uncomfortable with restraining your upper body (via 5/6/7 point harnesses) without having any rollover protection (cage/bar)....again, for obvious reasons.

You might consider the "instructor" approach...an R3 (or other wearable device, Wright, etc) and a 3 point with stock seats.
The wearable H&N will provide you some BSF protection while the stock seats and 3 point belt will allow you lateral escape movement in the event of a rollover type incident (since YOU don't want to be the highest (restrained) point in the car under those circumstances).

Search this forum, there have been many expert opinions and posts regarding H&N devices and installations.
You could also contact Joe Marko at HMS Motorsports in Massachusetts. He is a leading expert on Schroth/HANS/harness questions.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:54 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Give a look at the Defnder H & N Restraint.

The pros for me besides the lower price and sliding tethers is a better fit for me than the HANS and adjustable angle instead of having to buy a whole new unit from HANS. I also liked that the belts stayed better positioned on the Defnder.

http://www.defnderneckbrace.com/
Old 01-31-2010, 02:42 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the R3 and have been very happy with it. No issues with comfort or slipping out of the harness. You can get both removable seat pads to move from car to car (instructors) or fixed.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:08 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Plenty to think about. By reading what is in this link it implies that these type of devices are superior to the HANS device? No belts to be tethered either.
Oh, the car is a 951.

http://www.safetysolutionsracing.com...ybrid-pro.html
Old 01-31-2010, 06:44 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

The only device I'm aware of where the manufacturer claims you do not need harnesses is the R3. Popular with instructors where they can be jumping from car to car and some vehicles only have the stock seatbelts. All the other systems mentioned in this thread require a 5- or 6-point harness.

You may want to check out the installation information from each manufacturer or talk to a dealer like us that sells all of these units to answer one-on-one questions specific to your application and needs.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 01-31-2010, 07:38 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

It's not that I'm averse to using the HANS which require all the associated straps, but only if I can find a bar to attach them correctly.
Then I came upon the R3 and Hybrid products which firstly don't require straps or harness bar, and according to the website in my previous link,
are superior to the HANS type devices....so.....it makes me think that this is ideal for my situation, no?
Old 01-31-2010, 07:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
The only device I'm aware of where the manufacturer claims you do not need harnesses is the R3..
I believe the White device does not require harnesses, although I've never worn one:
http://www.advancedfire.com/white.html
Old 01-31-2010, 07:53 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Some of the more 'popular' H&N restraints are mentioned here:
http://www.advancedfire.com/front1.html

Quick Reply: Alternative to HANS??