Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 02:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
R3 is the only device that can be used without a 5- or 6-point harness.
Someone should tell the White device that fact then...

http://www.advancedfire.com/white.html
Old 02-01-2010, 02:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by kurt M
Lewis, The likelihood of a roof crushing rollover is far less than a non roof crushing frontal, offset, side or rear impact. With this in mind you feel that he should forgo a system that is far better at protecting the driver in the far more likely incident?
He has to do whatever he is comfortable with....period.
It is a personal decision, determining and managing (potential vs actual) risk of injury.

The reality is that the vast majority of non professional 'racers' have suboptimal integrated safety systems (improper geometry, non HALO seats, non full containment seats, safety nets, etc) ...and each lives with their own level of exposure and risk.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:30 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I use the Defnder H&N. Once the straps are properly adjusted it only takes an additional 30 seconds or so to attach the tethers. And to release the tethers all it takes is a tug on the release straps.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:47 AM
hbennett
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not denying there are some pretty good devices on the market now, namely the SS Hybrid line, but I think a lot of people are taking the statement "not dependent on the harness" to mean they work with a stock 3-point system. I have never seen a written or spoken statement from SS that the R3 works with a 3-point system.

Howard Bennett
HANS Performance
Old 02-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
He has to do whatever he is comfortable with....period.
It is a personal decision, determining and managing (potential vs actual) risk of injury.

The reality is that the vast majority of non professional 'racers' have suboptimal integrated safety systems (improper geometry, non HALO seats, non full containment seats, safety nets, etc) ...and each lives with their own level of exposure and risk.
ALL forms of integrated safety systems are suboptimal compared to this:

It's all compromises in the end.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:23 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by hbennett
Not denying there are some pretty good devices on the market now, namely the SS Hybrid line, but I think a lot of people are taking the statement "not dependent on the harness" to mean they work with a stock 3-point system. I have never seen a written or spoken statement from SS that the R3 works with a 3-point system.

Howard Bennett
HANS Performance
I would take the statements (or lack thereof) to mean "not tested with 3 point harnesses".

It is left up to the user to assume that a device that has been designed to be independent of (external) harnesses, like a Hybrid or a White (or others), would not suffer a significant change in performance (relative to the user loads) when used with a harness (3-7 point).

Quick Reply: Alternative to HANS??