Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short clip of Raikkonen's snow tests with his Citroen WRC.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
That was pretty funny Lewis...

But on to a question I've always wondered about rallying...What exactly is the navigator saying to the driver? I can never understand it. I've heard the navigator even talking as they were sliding off a cliff...very intereesting stuff.
The navigator is telling the driver what kind of turn is coming up. The number is analagous to the tightness of the turn. Also commenting on whats coming up other than turns. Jumps, water, long flat out sections, etc.

Stolen from another place

Turns and Speed... on a scale from 1-6. When they say Right 6 for example it means a gentle gradual turn which you can keep heavy throttle throughout the turn. And a 1, would be a very difficult turn, usually a 90* degree turn or more that requires massive braking. So 6 being easy and down towards 1 being the hardest.

Care : Hazardous
Caution : Very Hazardous
Crest : Rise in terrain hides track beyond.
Jump : Rise in terrain that if taken at speed, wil jump the car into the air. Remember once your tires leave the ground, you have zero control of the car.
Long : A long Corner
Very Long : an extended long corner
Turn : a corner at a road junction
Opens : Corner widens on exit
Tightens : Corner becomes tighter on exit
Narrows : Road Narrows
Don't Cut : Do not drive across the apex of the corner
Straight : Hold a straight line through the coming bends
Bends : Ripples in the terrain which could unsettle your suspension.

Professional drivers also mention distance in Meters.. like
3 left, 100, over crest.
This means, slow down for a left turn, in 100 meters, over the crest.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:30 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Navigator stuff can be very funny .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q39S4bjjU-Q
Old 01-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVISRILEY
Nothing says batsh@t crazy like a big jump at high speed, in the snow, between two rows of big trees. I love it.
Agreed
Old 01-29-2010, 04:35 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kimi crash

http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk...Arctic%20Rally
Old 01-29-2010, 06:52 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

"Finn i won 3 bottles of Patron !
2. One for Alonso Destroying KR in japan . ( you and ray here ) "

how did you get a bottle for Alonso cheating and having piquet crash, thas bs and i would call shenanigans, evil shenanigans....

if you think people dont crash all the time in WRC what chanel are you watching, oh yeh we just got wrc back this year, some of the best crashed often can we say collin mcrea?? he has more highlight wrecks then anyone.

as for a winning car for those 8 years, what are you smoking and share it with the rest. top teams, as in won alot in the past but not top cars, every teams has good and bad years, look at mclaren beginning this year, or redbull all other years.

Just wait till Loeb makes it to F1 that will be intersting, damn frenchies.

Guess your just a hater, some valid bets but some
Old 01-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
The navigator is telling the driver what kind of turn is coming up. The number is analagous to the tightness of the turn. Also commenting on whats coming up other than turns. Jumps, water, long flat out sections, etc.

Stolen from another place
Joe's quote explains it pretty well and for those who might've not heard, Kimi crashed on 2nd stage in the Finnish winter rally he's running (he did stay out on the snow bank for 10 minutes but could continue), he had a mistake in his "notes"
or he did heard wrong or the co-driver read wrong, in any case, Kimi heard it was a "5" corner (the number basically describe distances) which would mean it's almost flat out but instead if was "3" so when he arrived at the turn, he was obviously going way too fast...

Oh and for Wayne who now is beyond himself, Kimi has been doing 2nd best stage times being 5 seconds behind Sordo who is World Class WRC Rally driver so not too shabby for a rookie...
Old 01-30-2010, 02:14 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Der ABT
"Finn i won 3 bottles of Patron !
2. One for Alonso Destroying KR in japan . ( you and ray here ) "

how did you get a bottle for Alonso cheating and having piquet crash, thas bs and i would call shenanigans, evil shenanigans....

if you think people dont crash all the time in WRC what chanel are you watching, oh yeh we just got wrc back this year, some of the best crashed often can we say collin mcrea?? he has more highlight wrecks then anyone.

as for a winning car for those 8 years, what are you smoking and share it with the rest. top teams, as in won alot in the past but not top cars, every teams has good and bad years, look at mclaren beginning this year, or redbull all other years.

Just wait till Loeb makes it to F1 that will be intersting, damn frenchies.

Guess your just a hater, some valid bets but some
Ahhh let me guess ........ a Newbie ? Alonso won in japan driving away ........ now hurry off and study..

Finn :

I did not say KR was slow, (well slower than FA,LH and FM ) i said he will crash more than he wins and it will get stale ...... Kapow ..out ...

But again I'm willing to entertain another one of my clueless bets on this...

Well ?
Old 01-30-2010, 08:15 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
Just wait till Loeb makes it to F1 that will be intersting...
Never going to happen.
His latest/last attempt at securing an F1 Superlicense was rejected out of hand IIRC.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:59 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Ahh Loeb .. .............. F1 .....

Old 02-01-2010, 02:01 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL @ the KR nuthuggers.......................almost a whole decade of top WDC material and he shows jack ......................a WDC by default, well, a WDC is a WDC nevertheless, good for him but for all the fanfare and could have should have he is a dud. Fact. LOL, this is the same guy who supposedly had MS shaking in his boots..............a guy who could not even ice Massa and Massa is not bad but far away from great.

Conclusion: he was fired from Ferrari, could only get mediocre rides with little $$$ similar to Montoya and instead of Nascar he will be forgotten in the WRC. KR is done , stick a fork in him.

BTW, about all those "huge *****" comments, yeah, more like great stupidity because those so called huge ones did not translate into endless wins .................
Old 02-01-2010, 08:38 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Q the Finn in 3, 2,...........
Old 02-01-2010, 11:22 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,926 Posts

Originally Posted by pole position
LOL @ the KR nuthuggers.......................almost a whole decade of top WDC material and he shows jack ......................a WDC by default, well, a WDC is a WDC nevertheless, good for him but for all the fanfare and could have should have he is a dud. Fact. LOL, this is the same guy who supposedly had MS shaking in his boots..............a guy who could not even ice Massa and Massa is not bad but far away from great.

Conclusion: he was fired from Ferrari, could only get mediocre rides with little $$$ similar to Montoya and instead of Nascar he will be forgotten in the WRC. KR is done , stick a fork in him.

BTW, about all those "huge *****" comments, yeah, more like great stupidity because those so called huge ones did not translate into endless wins .................
I know the Finn doesn't want to hear this, but Luca and the whole team just had enough of Kimi's "non-committal" to the sport. Luca miscalculated and basically traded someone like Schumacher that lived and breathed F1 and all it takes to be a champion to someone with raw talent, but didn't want to put in the hours away from the track to be one of the greats.

Now that Kimi is gone, Ferrari personnel are speaking freely in the Italian press on how they never saw Kimi, he was never at the factory, never helped with development and bascially, was an arrive and drive "pilota". They could not go another year without a developemental driver, especially with the serious injury to Massa and hence, the buyout of his contract a year early.

It really is too bad, because Kimi was one of those rare natural talents, but perhaps just too lazy.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:54 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

another new guy to the WRC

Old 02-03-2010, 01:47 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pete
I know the Finn doesn't want to hear this, but Luca and the whole team just had enough of Kimi's "non-committal" to the sport. Luca miscalculated and basically traded someone like Schumacher that lived and breathed F1 and all it takes to be a champion to someone with raw talent, but didn't want to put in the hours away from the track to be one of the greats.

Now that Kimi is gone, Ferrari personnel are speaking freely in the Italian press on how they never saw Kimi, he was never at the factory, never helped with development and bascially, was an arrive and drive "pilota". They could not go another year without a developemental driver, especially with the serious injury to Massa and hence, the buyout of his contract a year early.

It really is too bad, because Kimi was one of those rare natural talents, but perhaps just too lazy.
Talent is only a part of the puzzle. Montoya had talent, Coulthard had, etc even Ralf had it but there is so much more than that to be a top dog in f1.

On the other hand even if you are a no talent but big sponsorship $$ backmarker the experience alone combined with all the state of the art tech, drama and jet set lifestyle beats even a seven figure desk job all day long.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete

No Pete,

I agree mostly with you. Commitment isn't Kimi's strong point although I think during last season he certainly didn't give up even though the car was such a dog.

I do think thought that when he has a car that suit him, there ain't many around who are as fast as he is.

Quick Reply: Short clip of Raikkonen's snow tests with his Citroen WRC.