Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storing a racecar in an enclosed trailer - pros and cons?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 03:08 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Storing a racecar in an enclosed trailer - pros and cons?

Hi,

I could use a nice enclosed trailer to replace my open trailex (which is too narrow for the cup cars). I could also use more garage space. Keeping one of the race cars in the trailer would be very handy. But could this damage the trailer, or are there other problems? I guess I could put the trailer up on stands to take the load off the tires and axles. Any comments appreciated.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:21 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 45 Posts

You won't do any damage to the trailer or anything like that - a nice enclosed trailer will be rated for 7000+ lbs of cargo and it's not really going to notice a sub 2500 lb race car. The only problem is that most race car insurance policies (the kind that cover the car against fire damage, etc when they are sitting in the garage, sitting in the paddock, etc) specifically exclude being parked in a trailer on your property....
Old 01-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 174 Posts

Been doing it for 5 years Mike, can't say there are any negatives to it at all.. 24' Thule V-Nose.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:33 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My Cup car is stored in my enclosed aluminum trailer...when the trailer wasn't hauling my son's karts around.
As mentioned above, no issues with damage to the trailer (suspension) or tires.

It also does provide for a "no rodent" storage zone...which can sometimes be a problem.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I know of a number of trailers that store racecars over the winter or whenever and none of them are any worse for wear. The only bads I've seen have been from a car that has a leak or something and it gets into unprotected wood floor.

The only thing I'd ever be concerned with was trailer getting stolen.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:47 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or if you were to say, leave said enclosed trailer outside all winter, without winterizing the car. Only to find in the spring that your motor has been rendered useless by the frozen expanded water within.

Not me, but that did happen to someone I know. Doh.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:02 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

6 + years... Be sure to keep the trailer tires well inflated and as Schwank said, winterize it and remove the radiator cap....
Old 01-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 883 Posts

Only risk I see is having the entire trailer + car stolen. BSR_257 on this board had that happen to him not that long ago.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 01-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. We also had a stinky car with old gas in it for about 2 months in the trailer. I was worried about it making the carpet smell (trailer is carpeted) + other stuff, but it's all good. Go for it.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:49 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by schwank
Or if you were to say, leave said enclosed trailer outside all winter, without winterizing the car. Only to find in the spring that your motor has been rendered useless by the frozen expanded water within.

Not me, but that did happen to someone I know. Doh.
Porsche race cars don't have water...
Old 01-24-2010, 04:55 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Porsche race cars don't have water...
that's what I thought.... but after the F-L fiasco my once roomy garages are now overflowing with race cars that normally stay at the race shops. So I had Spencer come over and winterize them. You CAN fit two 911s and a Viper in a 2 car garage (with a floor jack).

I guess the old 911 will get the trailer, it's lighter, no coolant, and insured as a street car

Thanks for the feedback!!!! Now I need a real truck.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 174 Posts

Sean is selling his diesel Excursion, best of both worlds, truck and SUV
Old 01-25-2010, 03:45 AM
Jase007
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike:

I've been storing in the trailer for years ... no problems.

Winter issues:

I'd recommend sealing the motor if you are running CAM2 to stop internal oxidation. E.g. I seal up the exhaust and carbs after "fogging" the motor. Use on-board electric pump to get the CAM2 out of the fuel cell (better for foam and it won't be any good come spring time), get the car up on jack stands (have metal floors) to take some weight off the suspension and have an oil filled space heater set at ~40F and on a timer to "semi-heat" the space. Also pull the battery and store indoors with several others on a multi battery charger/battery tender.

Trailer is plugged in when at home and inflate tires to max cold PSI ...and check often.

Change the oil, defog, add fresh CAM2 , nut and bolt and off you go in the spring.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:12 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like the oil heater idea. get some big sheets of the hard pink insulation (the 2" thick stuff) loosely placed inside the trailer so you can take it out easily come spring and you'll have a pretty nice spot that won't see much in the way of big temp swings and condensation issues.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:09 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got an enclosed trailer and I have been storing the car in the trailer. It is infact very handy as where my father lives (the only place I can store the car etc) does have rodent issues. They live the desert and field mice get into every thing. Heck they have a nasty habit of eating electrical wires.

Anyway the trailer is nice rodent free, dry storage. It leaves space in the two car garage for regular cars. We had some really heavy rains this week an the car stayed dry. Zero leaks in the trailer.

I also painted the wood floor with an expoy based Porch & patio paint. This stuff is great at preventing oil drips from penetrating the floor. This way I can just wipe up the drip very easily. I don't store fuel in the trailer however. My trailer is a 24 foot so I even have space for doing a little light work in the trailer. I have easy access to the engine and yesterday spent the day hammer out the right front fender. I just rolled the car forward so the fender was in the curbside door. Then slipped the jack in and started hammering.

Freezing here is a concern. It never gets super cold, but a 25 degree morning is possible. I like the ideal of an oil heater at 40F. That would be perfect for our needs.

Quick Reply: Storing a racecar in an enclosed trailer - pros and cons?