Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety advantage to Carbon Kevlar seat vs. Fiberglass?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 12:38 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

What constitutes a 'cycle' in a seat??
Old 01-04-2010, 12:43 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 305 Likes on 194 Posts

Especially for something like a seat, where failure could be a huge problem in a severe accident, kevlar can have advantages. While only somewhat stronger than fiberglass and not and strong as carbon, kevlar is significantly "tougher" than either of the other materials. So when deformed, it is less likely to crack than fiberglass, or splinter into a million pieces like carbon does when it ultimately fails. I suspect this is why kevlar would be combined with carbon to make a very strong and "tough" seat.

Though seats rarely fail, you don't want to be the one for which it happens. I recall that many years ago a drag racer had a composite seat fail, and it nearly severed the driver's arm.

Scott
Old 01-05-2010, 04:36 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Well certainly kevlar will take a bullet better. I live in the city of Chicago so it's a nice safety feature. You know, pistol-wielding road ragers and gang-bangers and the like.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:55 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talking about materals without consideration of how the materals are implemented does not help much. I think the OP presented up a good question. C/F is stronger than FG pound for pound but if the seat is made lighter the gain might be only less weight, not a stronger or safer seat. As noted later there might be other considerations to look at as well such as how C/F can splinter into nasty bits when it does fail. Same with FG/ plastic or metal seats, how the materal acts but more so how the seats are made and mounted matters and I might guess it matters more than the materals used. The good news is there is more choice and information than ever before.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Well certainly kevlar will take a bullet better. I live in the city of Chicago so it's a nice safety feature. You know, pistol-wielding road ragers and gang-bangers and the like.
LMAO! But...but...but guns are illegal in Chicago! How can criminals get them????

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Quick Reply: Safety advantage to Carbon Kevlar seat vs. Fiberglass?