Sponsored by:

Arai GP-5W HANS Installation question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 03:59 AM
webbie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Arai GP-5W HANS Installation question

I got an Arai GP5W that come with pre-drilled holes for HANS. Recently I purchased a HANS with sliding tether and quick click anchor.

According to the HANS instruction, there is a nutwasher that you need to pry away the helmet liner and put it there.

However, reading from HMS site, it implied the nutwasher is not necessary.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/r...s/arai-helmets

Already pre-drilled for installation of HANS Device posts. There is also a special seat for the HANS posts molded into the shell.
Prying away the liner is very hard and I try not to do it unless I can confirm it is the right way to do it. There is not too much information available on the internet or the manufacturer site, could somebody that have done that shed some light on this topic?
Old 01-03-2010, 09:03 AM
gomez1
Racer

I didn't really "pry" anything. I just used the thin tool it came with to shove the washer into postion. It's not super easy but not super hard either. See if that works.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:24 AM
jsh
Instructor

Originally Posted by gomez1
I didn't really "pry" anything. I just used the thin tool it came with to shove the washer into postion. It's not super easy but not super hard either. See if that works.
Ditto above, you just have to loosen the edge of the padding somewhat to start the wrench with the nut/washer in place & fish it up to the predrilled hole.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:46 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default GP5W Hans Holes

The GP5W is predrilled but does not have the washers under the liner. The only manufacturer I'm aware of that includes the washers is G-force.

The ARAI liner is usually pretty tight against the shell. Use the thin wrench that came with the HANS to pry away the liner and shimmy the washer up under the liner.

Sometimes I use two HANS wrenches, one to hold the liner away from the shell, the second wrench to slide the washer up under and it slides on top of the first wrench. You can get the nut on the washer stuck on the fabric liner and rip the liner if you force it too much.

If you want to send the helmet to us, we will install the anchors at no charge and just charge the shipping to return the helmet back if you are having problems getting them installed. Some dealers will install the anchors at no charge when you purchase the device from them so you may want to check with the original seller too.

If we can answer any other questions, feel free to give us a call.

Linda

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 01-03-2010, 10:14 PM
webbie
Pro

Thanks everybody and Linda.

Just want to give some credits when it is due. I bought my HANS from ApexPerformance and Linda shipped them via USPS to Canada within a week or two during Christmas time. Problem free. Great service.

If I were not in Canada, I will definitely send my helmet to Linda and have them install it. I am going to try it again with the new information.

Happy new year.

Quick Reply: Arai GP-5W HANS Installation question