Spectator Killed at Dakar Rally in Argentina

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 10:49 PM
fb47243
Too Old To Remember My First Time
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spectator Killed at Dakar Rally in Argentina

(CNN) -- A woman watching the Dakar Rally in Argentina died Saturday after a vehicle in the event went off the track, striking her and other fans, race organizers said.

Sonia Natalia Gallardo died Saturday afternoon at a hospital in Cordoba, Argentina, race organizers said in a statement on the event's Web site.

The others who were hit were being treated for "slight injuries," the statement said.

The incident, which involved German driver Mirco Schultis and Czech partner Ulrich Leardi, occurred in the race's first stage, from Buenos Aires to Cordoba, the organizers said.

Schultis and Leardi were driving in a 4x4 Desert Warrior truck, according to the Web site.

Tomas Fragueiro, a photojournalist with Argentina's La Voz del Interior, witnessed the accident and told CNN that he helped police and medical teams take care of the victims.

"I was in the internal zone of the 30-kilometer curve where most reporters were standing," said Fragueiro in a telephone interview.

"Security did not include the security tapes required in most races and [Gallardo] was standing outside a safety zone," he said.

Race officials offered their condolences to the victim's family, and called for organizers and authorities to "exercise the greatest care and keep within special 'spectator zones.' "

Established in 1978, the Dakar race is an intrepid, off-the-beaten-path rally that involves modified vehicles. Known for its strenuous itineraries, the race first took place from Paris, France, to Dakar, Senegal, and later moved to other regions of the world.

This year's Dakar race is in South America for the first time. The race spans from Argentina to Chile from January 1 to 17.

CNN's Helena De Moura contributed to this report.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:35 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

its sad that it happen but understandable. The spectators are way to close in rally and dakar races.

God Speed !
Old 01-02-2010, 11:44 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 204 Posts

At first I thought this article was a joke since the Paris-Dakar rally as I remember it never involved South America.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:15 AM
prg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm amazed more rally spectators aren't killed. You can tell most countries have a lower tort lawyer to citizen ratio than the USA.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Bruizer
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Is this being televised?
Old 01-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,709 Likes on 881 Posts

Old 01-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Jim W
Instructor

Rally was moved to S America last year after terrorists murdered some French spectators in Africa the year before I think.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Astro0boy
Instructor

VR,
I'm not sure if you can pull the Darwin card when said evolution was induced by the actions of another.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:45 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

RIP, May God help fill the void for the others She left behind...

Our sport is cruel and unfair, as a driver we acknowledge and accept those risks as do those that love Us.

When a fan is lost, it makes little sense to me....I still come to accept it, as I know that near the very edges lies life worth living.
Always hoping those lost knew the risks and accepted them also...

Good Community We have, It's a rare group that lives and dies together pursuing something they really love.

I hope I am making sense, not sure...thanks for listening.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,709 Likes on 881 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroboy
VR,
I'm not sure if you can pull the Darwin card when said evolution was induced by the actions of another.

Sure I can. Read post #2 in this thread.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Quick Reply: Spectator Killed at Dakar Rally in Argentina