Sponsored by:

Pictures of PCA Stock Class Interior

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

ah, i get what you mean. i can't imagine a scrut would move you to prepared for trim which is a definite gray area. my cage meant deleting most if not all the trim. the scruts have been really good about not punishing for things like trim which are meaningless in the grand scheme of things. you can remove the headliner, anything that interferes with the cage and Donna issued clarification to a Rennlister that anything that is part of an RS carpet kit in a 911 can be removed. i think you can keep it pretty darn clean.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Ben, David, Gary, et al...it was a ton of work, which I did last winter in preparation for installation of the custom welded cage. It would be nearly impossible to do now with all the bars in the way. The car is a non-sunroof Euro SC, and with everything removed, it weighs under 2400 even with the cage and nitrous bottle.

There are several different adhesive removers you can use to take the carpet glue off, such as Goof Off, Goo Gone, and 3M Adhesive Remover. All are pretty toxic, and will give you a headache after a while. The stuff I used came in a can, but I put the sprayer part of a windex-type bottle into the can and sprayed the areas first, letting the agent soak in before I wiped it away. You just have to scrub and scrub to get it all out. In some of the dry areas I used a metal brush on the end of my drill.

I painted it with a brush and layed it on really thick. Here's what it looked like after the carpet came out, but before the glue was removed.
Attached Images   
Old 01-01-2010, 04:08 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
There are several different adhesive removers you can use to take the carpet glue off, such as Goof Off, Goo Gone, and 3M Adhesive Remover. All are pretty toxic, and will give you a headache after a while.
For those of you that plan to tackle this project over the winter.
Do not take the toxic warning lightly. Be sure to wear a high quality respirator( the one with the replaceable filters). I took on a project like this several years ago when I converted the interior on my 993. I did it over a 3 to 4 week period in a poorly ventilated garage. It was winter and I chose to leave the garage doors closed in order to stay warm and did not wear a respirator. I started getting bad headaches towards the end of the project. A week or so after completion I started getting massive headaches, dizzy spells and vomiting. I had to be rushed to the hospital for an MRI. They thought I had a brain tumor! They eventually treated me for vertigo, but my wife believes I poisoned myself. I had to go on a detox diet for a month! Take extra precaution and make sure you take breaks and walk outside to get fresh air. A lot of it is common sense, which apparently I don't have.

Last edited by CornerCarver; 01-01-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

I get that way if I overdo my paint huffing...
Old 01-01-2010, 04:33 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I think I want to do tackle this project on my 911.....

Is it complicated or just time consuming?

I mean, all I would need to do is remove the seats, rip off the carpeting, remove the glue,
freshen up the paint and place the seats back on, right?
Old 01-01-2010, 04:57 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Chris M: congrats! Looks great. Wish mine looked half as good!
Old 01-01-2010, 05:06 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD

I mean, all I would need to do is remove the seats, rip off the carpeting, remove the glue,
That's all.... Takes about 2 hours.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:15 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I think I want to do tackle this project on my 911.....

Is it complicated or just time consuming?

Start now, have it done by dinner time..

Get that electrician in there yet? Your missing a lot of racing!
Old 01-01-2010, 05:18 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Start now, have it done by dinner time..
Sounds doable.....

Originally Posted by Gary R.

Get that electrician in there yet? Your missing a lot of racing!
When is the next race?
Old 01-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
That's all.... Takes about 2 hours.
Maybe 3.

Originally Posted by FredC
Chris M: congrats! Looks great. Wish mine looked half as good!
Thanks!
Old 01-01-2010, 06:17 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I am in the process of removing RS carpet from floors and headliner.

Headliner and carpet on passing side are out and most of the glue removed. What a bitch of a job. Slowly working my way through the roof.
I plan to paint the floors black by brush and spray the roof with automotive paint to match the exterior.

I tried many different solvents and glue removers. Methyl Ethyl Keytone (MEK) works the best. Pre-wetting helps alot. Floor surfaces are MUCH easier than the roof (I have to work around the cage).

Never work w/o carbon filter respirator that fits smug.

I plan to finish the roof and floors before I start the back area.

I'll post pix later.

Last edited by paradisenb; 01-01-2010 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Respirator
Old 01-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is the current state of my car. The bolt-in cage is removed and the dash is almost out. I need to gut the doors for NASCAR bars. Fortunately, most of the bad stuff was removed when the bolt-in went in several reays ago. It looks like a new paint job is in order.
Attached Images   
Old 01-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by CornerCarver
For those of you that plan to tackle this project over the winter.
Do not take the toxic warning lightly. Be sure to wear a high quality respirator( the one with the replaceable filters). I took on a project like this several years ago when I converted the interior on my 993. I did it over a 3 to 4 week period in a poorly ventilated garage. It was winter and I chose to leave the garage doors closed in order to stay warm and did not wear a respirator. I started getting bad headaches towards the end of the project. A week or so after completion I started getting massive headaches, dizzy spells and vomiting. I had to be rushed to the hospital for an MRI. They thought I had a brain tumor! They eventually treated me for vertigo, but my wife believes I poisoned myself. I had to go on a detox diet for a month! Take extra precaution and make sure you take breaks and walk outside to get fresh air. A lot of it is common sense, which apparently I don't have.
Al, I used Goof-Off to try and remove the adhesive in my 993 and, even while wearing an Home Depot organic respirator, began to get a bit nauseous after a while. I will have to go to Grainger.com to see if I can find a better filter for my mask.
Originally Posted by paradisenb

I tried many different solvents and glue removers. Methyl Ethyl Keytone (MEK) works the best. Pre-wetting helps alot. Floor surfaces are MUCH easier than the roof (I have to work around the cage).
Randy, good to know about the MEK. Did you try Good-Off or xylene?

Here's some info on MEK: http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemi...ealth_mek.html
Old 01-01-2010, 08:27 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Al, I used Goof-Off to try and remove the adhesive in my 993 and, even while wearing an Home Depot organic respirator, began to get a bit nauseous after a while. I will have to go to Grainger.com to see if I can find a better filter for my mask.[/url]
Mark,

That's not good. Do you have the garage doors open? These chemicals affect people differently. It's not worth the side effects. Have someone else do it. Trust me on this one.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:56 PM
xupkid2
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just stripped my interior this weekend. Took about 10-15 hours and I still need to paint it. I still had my cage in which made it fun since my chest is now bruised from leaning on the door bars all day long. What I found to work best is to use a 1" stiff scraper and a heat gun to get the thick tar off. I then used a 4.5" angle grinder with a Dewalt wire cup (opt for the wound wire one vs crimped) and some citrus based tar remover that I got at Autozone. Took all the tar glue and left over padding off. Finally I went over it with a paint remover wheel on the grinder and I now have a nicly stripped interior which is about ready for paint. It was a PITA but it looks good and should turn out well. Im hoping to also keep out some of the trim pieces as in the 944 the only ones to go back in are next to the rear seats and one could argue that it gets in the way of safety. I mean for the 5 pds it adds I may throw it in just to be safe or at least keep it in the trailer. Im hoping to get the final cleaning of the interior tomorrow and will post pics then.

Quick Reply: Pictures of PCA Stock Class Interior