Sponsored by:

JIC vs Moton Clubsport vs Moton 3-way

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Default JIC vs Moton Clubsport vs Moton 3-way

It's that time of year again (upgrade time) and I'm considering upgrading my JIC Cross suspension to Motons on my Boxster S.

Assuming everything else stays constant, how much laptime improvement should one expect going from JIC's to Moton Clubsports? How much more would be gained going to Moton 3-way motorsports?

Has anybody actually done this upgrade and have real experience to back up the numbers?

(Oh, and I have already done a search, but I haven't found any really useful info other than "Motons are better than JIC". I'd like to get an idea of how much better so that I know how many $$$ per second I may be spending)
Old 12-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 656 Likes on 204 Posts

My best guess is .01 seconds per $ spent.....

WAY WORTH IT..

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 12-29-2009, 04:03 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it will depend on the track layout and even moreso, the surface. The JIC are terrible on anything with curbs to jump or lots of bumps. At least mine were. I've heard the Clubsport is much better from those that have switched. The 3-ways are a whole cut above the CS. However I really like the JIC on smooth surfaces, but had to run full stiff because the springs rates were way too soft and even then the car rolled.

But I'm halfway in your shoes now, have problems justifying 8k all in on Clubsports when you can just go for it and get the 3-ways.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:27 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

You can set the JIC's up for different spring rates. I just sent mine back to Jon for service. After thinking about it for some time, I decided not to change my spring rates from the 700/900 set up I have now although he told me he could.

I like the JIC's but to be honest have not driven a car with Motons hard enough to see a difference.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
I think it will depend on the track layout and even moreso, the surface. The JIC are terrible on anything with curbs to jump or lots of bumps. At least mine were. I've heard the Clubsport is much better from those that have switched. The 3-ways are a whole cut above the CS. However I really like the JIC on smooth surfaces, but had to run full stiff because the springs rates were way too soft and even then the car rolled.
I agree that the JIC's feel great on smooth surfaces, and that they really let you know when the surface isn't smooth.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:17 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Brian,

I went with Moton CS's with improved spring rates over JIC's's based on feedback I received from others who claimed the Moton upgrade was superior to the JIC's. I do not know how the JIC's would have performed but I do know I picked up close to 2 seconds at NJMSP Lightening and 3 seconds at Thunderbolt. Similar improvement was observed at WG, Lime Rock and Sebring. Now a portion of the decreased lap times is associated with better driving and knowing the tracks better but the turn in and overall handling was improved significantly.

I agree with others about how well the Moton's improve handling over rough surfaces, the stability is outstanding.

My suspension improvement have been in phases;

Koni's with rubber all around.
Removed the rubber and went with solid bushings front and and back.
Installed power steering.
Added Motons.
Added 18's.
Now I have no excuses...
Old 12-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found about a second when I changed from JICs to 3-way KW motorsport (which are equivalent to the Moton 3-way motorsport shocks). It takes a lot more time and effort to get the 3-way set-up with the right springs and bump/rebound settings than the extremely simple JIC. Don't expect to slap on the new suspension and go faster - it took me all year to get them close to dialed in to gain that second.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Motons are better than JIC. Fact.

Brian, you should get four way adjustables.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,671 Likes on 862 Posts

Brian, as I posted in another thread, starting in January, the Club Sports will be identical to the 2 way Motorsport models. They are awesome on curbs, berms, aprons, and bumps, as well as rough tracks like Summit Point. Do you need 3 ways? I seriously doubt it...

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 12-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Six ways.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:04 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I went from stock 993 suspension to JICs (8/11 kg/mm = 450/620 lbs/in) two years ago. During that first season, the simplicity of one adjustment **** made experimentation very easy and helped me learn how the basic adjustments changed the car's handling. The set-up is very good and I was able to adjust for smooth tracks (WGI and NJMP) as well as bumpy tracks like Summit Point. For the money, it's a tremendous set-up (including very high quality camber plates/rear upper mounts).

This past season, I started experimenting with different alignment settings and analyzing data. By the end of the season, I think I had the car set up very nicely and she performed pretty respectably at my first PCA club race at NJMP.

However, I love the tinkering and engineering part of motorsports. For me it's all about learning and getting the most out of my car and my own performance. The next logical step in the learning process was more adjustability and perhaps stiffer springs, so I installed JRZs last weekend with somewhat modestly stiffer springs.

I'm hoping that the baby-step approach will make the learning and transition easier. I'm expecting a lot of experimentation (and perhaps professional assistance) to get the car up-to-speed again (and then it will be time for the next major overhaul).
Old 12-30-2009, 10:21 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Do you need 3 ways? I seriously doubt it...
Bah! What part of this sport has anything to do with need?
Old 12-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Glen, let me know if you get some professional assistance this year on setup, as I'm interested in that too. I'm in the process of swapping out the JIC setup for a Moton triple setup.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:25 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have JIC's on my 993 C4S with very heavy springs - 10k/14k. I think they are a much better option then a PSS-10 setup, but I wouldn't put them into the Moton / JRZ category.

Also, I have seen a lot more JRZ setup's recently than Moton. I don't know if JRZ is more aggressive or providing better support.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,671 Likes on 862 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
Bah! What part of this sport has anything to do with need?
Hahahahaha!!! OK, let me translate: 2 way Motons would make you faster AFTER you figure out how to set them up. 3 ways? Probably little if any improvement over the 2 ways.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Quick Reply: JIC vs Moton Clubsport vs Moton 3-way