Sponsored by:

Sebring Night Racing Video

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 12:09 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Sebring Night Racing Video

Will race at Sebring for the first time in February. Does anyone have good night racing video to share?

any good tips?

Thanks

Fred

Last edited by FredC; 12-28-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:24 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...g-footage.html
Old 12-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 167 Posts

To learn the track - Join iRacing, buy Sebring and run the SRF around the International (17 turns, assume that's what you will race) track. You will think you had been there before by the time you arrive...

Last edited by Gary R.; 12-28-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:45 PM
FredC
Drifting

Sounds good!
Old 12-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a very bumpy track by looking at the Fying Finn's video. I wonder if the iRacing game shows that in their vids.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:28 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Best bet is to watch day time video repetitively and know the track as much as possible when you can see it. I did the night race last year and was surprised and how difficult, at least for me, it was to drive consistent laps the first few sessions out. Once I had the brake points, turn in and other key aspects mastered it made it far easier to avoid the mind games you'll experience. It's no surprise they mandate some track time in the light before trying to drive at race speed when dark and I do mean dark.

Make sure you run the most powerful lights you can and their adjusted perfectly. I ran with stock lights and they sucked.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:38 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Fred, how are things??

I just ran Sebring for the first time last month. I learned the track basics by doing 40 or 50 laps in Forza 3 on my XBox and watching some video. It's obviously not the same as actual track time, but it's still very helpful (at least for me). When I got on the track the first time I already knew where I was on track at any given time, what kind of turn was coming up next, some general ideas of where and how much to brake, general idea of turn in points and lines, etc. So instead of wasting my first test session or two just figuring out which way the track went, I immediately jumped into working on braking points, etc.

I also ran my first night race at Sebring, which was a blast. For me, the darkness itself wasn't much of an issue. A lot of people talked about how dark the track is (and it definitely was), but there wasn't really any point at which I lost track of where I was or where I needed to go. For me the biggest problem was the start of the race and glare from the lights around me. Despite putting tape on the rear window and dimming the rear view mirror, glare from the side mirrors and the lights all around me seemed to really screw me up. Anyhow, I mention that because I've talked to a few pros about it since then, and a couple of them had had the same problem. Their suggestions were: 1) if you wear contacts, take them out and wear glasses instead (contacts just make glare worse for a lot of people, including me), and/or 2) wear glasses/sunglasses with amber lenses - supposedly that cuts the glare without making things too much darker.

Don't know if either of those suggestions will help, but I plan to try them at the next night race.

Good luck!!
Old 12-28-2009, 04:26 PM
FredC
Drifting

Thanks Colin, things are good.

great suggestions, very appreciated!

Originally Posted by cobrien
Hey Fred, how are things??

I just ran Sebring for the first time last month. I learned the track basics by doing 40 or 50 laps in Forza 3 on my XBox and watching some video. It's obviously not the same as actual track time, but it's still very helpful (at least for me). When I got on the track the first time I already knew where I was on track at any given time, what kind of turn was coming up next, some general ideas of where and how much to brake, general idea of turn in points and lines, etc. So instead of wasting my first test session or two just figuring out which way the track went, I immediately jumped into working on braking points, etc.

I also ran my first night race at Sebring, which was a blast. For me, the darkness itself wasn't much of an issue. A lot of people talked about how dark the track is (and it definitely was), but there wasn't really any point at which I lost track of where I was or where I needed to go. For me the biggest problem was the start of the race and glare from the lights around me. Despite putting tape on the rear window and dimming the rear view mirror, glare from the side mirrors and the lights all around me seemed to really screw me up. Anyhow, I mention that because I've talked to a few pros about it since then, and a couple of them had had the same problem. Their suggestions were: 1) if you wear contacts, take them out and wear glasses instead (contacts just make glare worse for a lot of people, including me), and/or 2) wear glasses/sunglasses with amber lenses - supposedly that cuts the glare without making things too much darker.

Don't know if either of those suggestions will help, but I plan to try them at the next night race.

Good luck!!
Old 12-28-2009, 05:07 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

Here is one in slow motion, my first time at Sebring with this car..
http://www.youtube.com/v/CLOD3uKTVGk
Old 12-28-2009, 08:18 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

back marker weighing in:

The track had a light stand in T3 to "light" the corner but fo me when I was going thru T1-T2 it seemed to be aimed at me which created a momentary flash. That could have been a one-off and has since been corrected. The other area that I noticed was coming out of T7 it is dark not an issue but after leaving a very well illuminated corner (T7) the run to T10 is like a black hole unless you have traffic.

Several people I chatted with posted either their best or near best time as the night takes away alot of the "noise" that is available at day, it requires total focus which correlates to fast laps.

Enjoy
Old 12-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Yes, my buddies ran their best times at night. Weard. Didn't know if it was just the focus or cooler air and more horsepower.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:25 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Gasser:

For me = both.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 655 Likes on 204 Posts

Hey, watch this clip...after about 3 min. or so there is a night lap...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDTtKfOLx6U

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 12-28-2009, 09:02 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by VERBOTN125
back marker weighing in:

The track had a light stand in T3 to "light" the corner but fo me when I was going thru T1-T2 it seemed to be aimed at me which created a momentary flash. That could have been a one-off and has since been corrected. The other area that I noticed was coming out of T7 it is dark not an issue but after leaving a very well illuminated corner (T7) the run to T10 is like a black hole unless you have traffic.

Enjoy
Trying to find the apex at 9 was the hardest thing for me the first time at night. After a while I just decided that there is so much room there that "close" was good enough. Sorry I'm going to miss it this year.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:51 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's my night video from '08. This is me chasing Musante. I came in 2nd overall and won Worker's Choice for the effort. (Video quality is not that great.)

Sebring in 964 Cup at night

(Btw, racing at night is awesome!)

Quick Reply: Sebring Night Racing Video