Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA vs. PCA only for DE events

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 517 Posts

Woke up one April morning to three inches of snow. Too cold to get out of sleeping bag to pee (until it hurt so bad I had no choice).
Did you get out of the bag or not? I didn't hear of any yellow snow warnings.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:20 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by trumperZ06
Chin shows a mid Ohio track event May 31/June 1.

Go to: www.chinmotorsports.com for more information.

You will get ample track time along with experienced instructors.

Passing anywhere on the track with "point byes" in advanced group.

My experience has been that the Chin group drivers are about one level above other clubs, exception being novice.

Don't know the clubs in Ohio...

down here in the South East our BMW clubs have good D E Events.

totally agree with this.

Chin, NASA, PBOC all are more exciting, more fun, and more track time than PCA. PCA is a nice place to start to learn but you quickly grow tired of the minimal track time and no passing in the corners.
NASA beats PCA any day.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:41 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
totally agree with this.

Chin, NASA, PBOC all are more exciting, more fun, and more track time than PCA. PCA is a nice place to start to learn but you quickly grow tired of the minimal track time and no passing in the corners.
NASA beats PCA any day.
WOW, Florida must be much different than where I am from. NASA track time in the Great Lakes Region sucks compared to PCA. That's the biggest pick I have with NASA in both HPDE and racing. Look at a NASA schedule for the Great Lakes region. It's like a PCA schedule except they stick in 3 race groups and time trials (not sure how many groups of those). You can imagine what that does to everybody's track time. At least up here, you can easily tell which one is run strictly for profit and the other not so much.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:24 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here in Az NASA offers 4 20 min seesions per day for DE. PCA offers 4 maybe 5. NASA offers event every month when the weather is nice for 2 days while PCA is maybe one every other month for one day at the "less tracks".

For us PCA is good place to start as it low key and relaxed. Plus some guy in his 80k 911 does not need to worry about being passed by a civic. (still could get passed by a 944, but at least that is still a Porsche). Even so most guys when they really catch the DE bug run NASA primary and PCA secondary. Sadly since PCA does not race (one club race a year does not count for me) I run NASA exclusively as I do not have time to run both organizations. If I did DE I might run a few PCA events, but still would run NASA stuff.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:18 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
WOW, Florida must be much different than where I am from. NASA track time in the Great Lakes Region sucks compared to PCA. That's the biggest pick I have with NASA in both HPDE and racing. Look at a NASA schedule for the Great Lakes region. It's like a PCA schedule except they stick in 3 race groups and time trials (not sure how many groups of those). You can imagine what that does to everybody's track time. At least up here, you can easily tell which one is run strictly for profit and the other not so much.
I guess all regions are different. My local PCA club does not have much planned this year for DE's and 1 of the events they are doing the brake killing short course at Sebring...did that once, not much fun. Therefore I will be doing Chin and PBOC events a lot this year again. Like other have said Chin allow passing in the corners with a point by. This is much more fun and allows you to owrk on other skills. Our PCA club would never ever allow this.
I am proud I have become a PCA instructor and will run PCA when time permits but there is just not much going on.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:34 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mid Ohio is my home track and I run with both PCA & NASA, I do of course, favor PCA, due to being involved with track events for them, but my observations are similar to above. I think PCA will give you The same or more track time for less cost and less of a wait between runs. I think the instructors are compairable. I think PCA may be a bit more conservative, thus safer. However, as said above, if you have any intention on going racing some time in your future, then NASA kicks our *** on skill prep for racing.

With PCA adopting open passing for instructors, that is changing, and in time this is going to trickle down, but that will take time. So if you are looking for some instructed track time 2x per year for the money and safety factor PCA is a good bet.

Your PCA Region is NOR, I am from MOR, we are doing a joint event with your region in June at Nelsons Ledges, check out a new track. You can find your local events on clubregistration.net.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:11 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can get a hall pass, we have our annual three day event at Mid Ohio Mother's Day weekend. (PCA Founder's Region (Potomac) ) Unfortunately, that will be our first DE of the year as our April event at Summit Point will not happen in 2010. Summit Point Track resurfacing in April.

Quick Reply: NASA vs. PCA only for DE events