Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sim Racing important/useful for learning tracks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Agreed. I add the "Perfect Pedal" hydraulic brake pedal replacement for the G27 available from Sim-Craft in FL. Brake pedal "feel" is extremely important for more realism and better control.

You MUST have a pretty good GPU (video card) in order to render ALL of the incredible detail in iRacing. When I am remote coaching using iRacing, I'm asking people to look for the PA speakers on the back of telephone poles headed into Bishops at Sebring, transformers on telephone poles going into T5 at Road Atlanta and the radio antenna in the distance lining up the entry into the Keyhole on Mid-Ohio Club! You won't see those (iRacing won't draw them) unless you have serious juice!

Agreed.

Scott, 4 GB RAM won't help draw the objects in the detail you need to see. You need a dedicated video GPU of at least 512 MB and preferably 1GB or 2GB. Yes, that's in a laptop.
Other than high-end "Gaming Laptops" that spell out "X" amount of dedicated RAM, the memory the video card uses is shared system memory, which is substantially slower in speed and bottlenecked even more by having to be transmitted through the system bus. So be careful when buying a laptop, and if you see "Up to X amount of video memory".. it's shared.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,167 Likes on 1,831 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Other than high-end "Gaming Laptops" that spell out "X" amount of dedicated RAM, the memory the video card uses is shared system memory, which is substantially slower in speed and bottlenecked even more by having to be transmitted through the system bus. So be careful when buying a laptop, and if you see "Up to X amount of video memory".. it's shared.
True. That's why I bought a "for iRacing" MacBook Pro with a dedicated and switched (on demand) GPU with 1 GB dedicated VRAM. VRAM is video RAM, dedicated solely to the the GPU.

The Asus G73X series is pretty good for a Wintel iRacing laptop.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-09-2012, 07:56 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
what video card?
Yes, it's Intel with non-dedicated vram.

Originally Posted by Lolaman

Scott, 4 GB RAM won't help draw the objects in the detail you need to see. You need a dedicated video GPU of at least 512 MB and preferably 1GB or 2GB. Yes, that's in a laptop.
I didn't even know that they were supposed to be there. Maybe that's why I'm so slow. Once again I need spend more money to go faster.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:14 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
I didn't even know that they were supposed to be there. Maybe that's why I'm so slow. Once again I need spend more money to go faster.
LOL, some things never change
Old 10-09-2012, 08:57 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
LOL, some things never change
Time to go try out the Mustang on an inadequately rendered Laguna Seca.

Quick Reply: Sim Racing important/useful for learning tracks?