Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sim Racing important/useful for learning tracks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

I have 5 buttons programmed to play special sounds
1- BRAKE!!
2-OFF!!
3-THROTTLE!!
4-SLIDE!

My own version of BOTS training...
Old 12-22-2009, 03:57 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I have 5 buttons programmed to play special sounds
1- BRAKE!!
2-OFF!!
3-THROTTLE!!
4-SLIDE!

My own version of BOTS training...
What's the 5th button?
Old 12-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

5 - OH CRAP!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2009, 01:30 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks Guys
Old 12-23-2009, 01:44 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just last night;

DHL Porsche RS Spyder at Mid Ohio. Only spun twice! Best: 1:14:989. Don't know what they
really can do, but this doesn't seem too bad for only 25 laps or so.
Found out later the "braking help" was set to the high setting. I knew
something was wrong because the nose would dive in mid corner without me
doing anything.

Damn nannies!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Bumping this... after 3 years, are there any better options than Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport? Thanks for the input.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:38 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
Bumping this... after 3 years, are there any better options than Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport? Thanks for the input.
yes.

iracing is amazing (although somewhat limited in terms of US based road racing circuits).

rfactor is still "okay", especially if you get good car/track models. rfactor2 is out but still very much in beta form.

Netkar and Asseto Corsa (releasing this fall/winter) are pretty good physics models as well.

Sim Raceway is okay (rfactor based physics) but still being rolled out. they have lots of cars but only a dozen or so tracks.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
yes.

iracing is amazing (although somewhat limited in terms of US based road racing circuits).

rfactor is still "okay", especially if you get good car/track models. rfactor2 is out but still very much in beta form.

Netkar and Asseto Corsa (releasing this fall/winter) are pretty good physics models as well.

Sim Raceway is okay (rfactor based physics) but still being rolled out. they have lots of cars but only a dozen or so tracks.
OK, what do I need for iRacing? I see the thread at the top, but it's quite... long. I see mixed reviews on the Thrustmaster wheel, but is that the one I want? Do I need more than that? How about a shifter? How crazy do I need to get?

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:24 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
OK, what do I need for iRacing? I see the thread at the top, but it's quite... long. I see mixed reviews on the Thrustmaster wheel, but is that the one I want? Do I need more than that? How about a shifter? How crazy do I need to get?

Thanks!
first, make sure your PC/monitor can handle the software. you need a lot of RAM and a good video card I'd recommend NOT using a laptop. and it has to be Windows based but you can make iracing work on a Mac if you run windows on it (I know, I know...)

I'd recommend a Logitech G27 wheel/pedal set. pretty much the default rig for a lot of people and all you'll need to get started.

Amazon Amazon
Old 10-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

first, make sure your PC/monitor can handle the software. you need a lot of RAM and a good video card I'd recommend NOT using a laptop. and it has to be Windows based but you can make iracing work on a Mac if you run windows on it (I know, I know...)

I'd recommend a Logitech G27 wheel/pedal set. pretty much the default rig for a lot of people and all you'll need to get started.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-941-0.../dp/B001NT9TK4
+1, the Logitech is a great place to start and if your computer has the "Intel Integrated Graphics Chip" you will be disappointed with quality/frame rate.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:21 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

I use my Sony Vaio laptop with my G27 and it works pretty well. It does have 4Gb of Ram though.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:50 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sbelles
I use my Sony Vaio laptop with my G27 and it works pretty well. It does have 4Gb of Ram though.
what video card?
Old 10-08-2012, 11:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,168 Likes on 1,831 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-941-0.../dp/B001NT9TK4
Agreed. I add the "Perfect Pedal" hydraulic brake pedal replacement for the G27 available from Sim-Craft in FL. Brake pedal "feel" is extremely important for more realism and better control.

You MUST have a pretty good GPU (video card) in order to render ALL of the incredible detail in iRacing. When I am remote coaching using iRacing, I'm asking people to look for the PA speakers on the back of telephone poles headed into Bishops at Sebring, transformers on telephone poles going into T5 at Road Atlanta and the radio antenna in the distance lining up the entry into the Keyhole on Mid-Ohio Club! You won't see those (iRacing won't draw them) unless you have serious juice!

Originally Posted by Gary R.
+1, the Logitech is a great place to start and if your computer has the "Intel Integrated Graphics Chip" you will be disappointed with quality/frame rate.
Agreed.

Scott, 4 GB RAM won't help draw the objects in the detail you need to see. You need a dedicated video GPU of at least 512 MB and preferably 1GB or 2GB. Yes, that's in a laptop.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-09-2012, 12:01 AM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Probably best to focus on a "gaming" machine of tower/laptop chassis. 8GB of ram at least, and pretty damn serious gfx card. HDMI out would be great for the LCDs you will want to run.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:32 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,168 Likes on 1,831 Posts

The Gateway FX series from CompUsa is my choice.

Quick Reply: Sim Racing important/useful for learning tracks?