Sponsored by:

Another 997 GT3 Cup car video from Japan

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 11:26 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lamb
Now that we have clarified that the transmission in the Aussie V8 Supercar is a "dog ring" box (still not sure if it is an H pattern or a sequential pattern), I watched the video a couple more times to try to learn something. The interesting thing that I noticed about Greg Murphy's upshifts down the straight beginning at 0:59 is that it looks like he is not lifting off the accelerator at all while using the clutch lightly to make the upshifts. Am I seeing this right? If so, what is providing the momentary ignition (or fuel) cut to release the tension off the driveline to enable the upshift to happen?

Let me give you some additional background -> I do understand that sequentially shifted dog ring boxes can relatively easily use an electronic sensor to sense when the shift lever is pulled towards the rear of the car to make upshifts and correspondingly cut the ignition and/or fuel. However, it would seem that such and electronic sensor would be difficult to implement on an H pattern dog ring box. So I guess my real question is this -> How do you electronically cut the ignition and/or fuel to enable you to shift an H pattern dog ring box without lifting your foot off the accelerator pedal?

Jeff
Not sure exactly what they are doing for the "flat" upshifts. They might just be momentarily bouncing off the rev limiter. You can't really hear it - but the timing might just be that good.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:46 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lamb
Now that we have clarified that the transmission in the Aussie V8 Supercar is a "dog ring" box (still not sure if it is an H pattern or a sequential pattern)
It's definitely H-pattern in the videos posted above. Sequentials weren't allowed in the series until 2008.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:59 PM
dm930
6th Gear

My understanding is you can do it either way, with or without the clutch. 1- If no clutch, you need to be extra precise. 2- As Mike P. said, it is probably pretty hard on the tranny w/out clutch.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:13 AM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Originally Posted by claykos
Not sure exactly what they are doing for the "flat" upshifts. They might just be momentarily bouncing off the rev limiter. You can't really hear it - but the timing might just be that good.
Very good point. I suppose that technique could work, however, it just seems to me that the rev limiter technique would be difficult to complete on a reliable basis throughout a race. If the drivers are THAT good . . . and I guess they might very well be that good . . . that just blows my mind!!

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
It's definitely H-pattern in the videos posted above. Sequentials weren't allowed in the series until 2008.
I agree. Clearly, the video posted by claykos is an H pattern box and now that I went back to the video posted by Patrick to see that it was from Oran Park in 2006, then it must be an H pattern too.

Jeff
Old 12-16-2009, 01:38 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 42 Posts

I was thinking more about the flat upshifts...

I don't think it would be too hard to have a strain gauge on the shifter (like a sequential box) and program some logic into the ECU like: if wide open throttle and gear lever moved -> then cut ignition.

I have a friend who owns a couple of the PTG built world challenge E46 M3's and those cars use a Hewland H-pattern dog-ring box. He has told me that they have flat upshift capability, but he doesn't like to use it because it's hard on the car.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

As long as we are now on the subject of H pattern dog-ring boxes, and to tie this thread back to Cup cars, does anyone happen to know if any of the 996 Cup cars use dog-ring boxes? Or, do they use H pattern synchromesh boxes?

Jeff
Old 12-16-2009, 06:56 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 996 Cup Car uses an H-pattern gearbox with synchros. In the US, Alex Job Racing debuted the sequential in the 2003 ALMS season. Sequentials were later standard equipment in the 2004 RSR.

Quick Reply: Another 997 GT3 Cup car video from Japan