Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Will Danica Succeed in NASCAR?
YES! She'll have a victory in her first year
8.53%
Will do OK...Middle of the packer
53.49%
NO! Will not be competitive and hype will end quickly
37.98%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

POLL...Will Danica Succeed in NASCAR?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 11:17 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POLL...Will Danica Succeed in NASCAR?

Will Danica Succeed in NASCAR?
Old 12-13-2009, 11:29 PM
DanR
Drifting

its not likely anyone would do well in their first season, they say it takes 2/3 seasons to be up to speed. (see Montoya for instance)
Old 12-13-2009, 11:30 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Guess it depends on your definition of succeeding. Getting paid as much as she does to drive a race car sure seems like success to me.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:37 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

She's successful making money that's for sure. At winning races, not so much. If she didn't have a you know what between her legs, she would be struggling to get a ride. She's an affirmative action race car driver. I can't wait till someone puts her into the wall.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:46 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wonder if she will be announced as part of the 2010 Drive for Diversity programme drivers...

Here is the 2009 list:
http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/head...eup/index.html
http://drivefordiversity.info/content/
http://www.d4d.tv/

And some commentary on the program:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...fan/index.html
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar..._ed&id=3937399
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor...iversity_N.htm
Old 12-14-2009, 03:49 AM
LDadrenaline
Racer

she will likely be in one of the best prepped cars out there. unfortunately a lot also relies on driver feedback and seeing how flustered she gets over small things, I don't see her providing too much good feedback within the first few years. I think after some seasoning she will learn how to play the game and then we will see what really happens. I am a believer that she is over-hyped. Good driver, but not GREAT like it is marketed to the world. I put that she would do okay.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Land Jet
She's successful making money that's for sure. At winning races, not so much. If she didn't have a you know what between her legs, she would be struggling to get a ride. She's an affirmative action race car driver. I can't wait till someone puts her into the wall.
Who cares. She's there. She happens to have something that is more marketable than most she is competing with. There are plenty of drivers there too who wouldn't be there without the $$ they were able to bring to the table personally or through sponsors. That's the racing game. Even the "best" drivers rarely making to the top on their talent alone.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:46 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Man you're off the charts... You should consider all the decent male drivers she finished ahead of in races and championships in the last 3 years...

That being said, it has proven hard for jpm to adapt. I can only imagine how much tougher it will be for her.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
Man you're off the charts... You should consider all the decent male drivers she finished ahead of in races and championships in the last 3 years...
+1
Old 12-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

She didn't win any championships and until she does she is just a mediocre driver. Racing is about winning and being the champion to the fans. It's about money and sponsorships to the business people. The only reason Pantie-ka gets all the hype and sponsors is because she is a woman and the business people see a chance to reap rewards from gaining female fans who'll spent their money with them. Those women don't really care if she wins the championship. They have crowned her already just because she is at the table. Why defend mediocrity? I don't defend the men who finished behind her in the IRL. I don't begrudge her the right to make a living at her chosen profession. I just don't consider her a great driver or champion. Even the UPS man is a driver. I watch racing to see the Schumachers, Sennas, Prousts, etc. I'm a fan, not Bernie Eclestein{spelling} or the like.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:41 AM
DWalker
Racer

There have been a lot of truly great drivers that have never won a championship, yet had long and successful carreers. My take on Danica is she is a capable driver who has made the most of what she has been given. I dont know many drivers who, if given the chance, wouldnt do exactly what shes done.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:45 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
...She happens to have something that is more marketable than most she is competing with...
Based on her photos, I believe she has 2 things that are more marketable than most she is competing with.

NA$CAR has simply been introduced to Title IX.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

where's the selection for "She will not be competitive but the hype will continue regardless"?
Old 12-14-2009, 03:08 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,370 Likes on 1,996 Posts

Anyone read Richard Petty's interview in C&D about this? He basically said she would not succeed in NASCAR because she is a woman and there ain't never been a woman that has been successful in NASCAR.

He went on to say there are only 6-8 racers in NASCAR. There are several good drivers, but only 6-8 racers that can compete for wins.

IMO, she's used to the roundy round, like someone said, she'll need a few years to get up to speed, but then it comes down to her equipment.

Looking at how she's improved compared to her teammates this year, it looks like she's better, but she's not in a Penske car.

Will she eventually be in a Hendricks car or a top team when she's ready for Cup? That's the key. And in my opinion, Jr. was exposed because the excuse that he doesn't have top equipment is no longer valid.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:10 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

She's a fairly good driver, better than many.

One very important thing you should remember, professional racing is all about marketing and she will be very good for marketing Nascar

Quick Reply: POLL...Will Danica Succeed in NASCAR?