Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Will Danica Succeed in NASCAR?
YES! She'll have a victory in her first year
8.53%
Will do OK...Middle of the packer
53.49%
NO! Will not be competitive and hype will end quickly
37.98%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

POLL...Will Danica Succeed in NASCAR?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 03:38 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

flawed logic. But colorful nonetheless...

Originally Posted by Land Jet
She didn't win any championships and until she does she is just a mediocre driver. Racing is about winning and being the champion to the fans. It's about money and sponsorships to the business people. The only reason Pantie-ka gets all the hype and sponsors is because she is a woman and the business people see a chance to reap rewards from gaining female fans who'll spent their money with them. Those women don't really care if she wins the championship. They have crowned her already just because she is at the table. Why defend mediocrity? I don't defend the men who finished behind her in the IRL. I don't begrudge her the right to make a living at her chosen profession. I just don't consider her a great driver or champion. Even the UPS man is a driver. I watch racing to see the Schumachers, Sennas, Prousts, etc. I'm a fan, not Bernie Eclestein{spelling} or the like.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:43 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DWalker
There have been a lot of truly great drivers that have never won a championship, yet had long and successful carreers. My take on Danica is she is a capable driver who has made the most of what she has been given. I dont know many drivers who, if given the chance, wouldnt do exactly what shes done.
+1
Old 12-14-2009, 03:48 PM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't wait for the first time she takes a swing at someone.Probably would get away with taking on a John andretti type.
Tony Stewart on the other hand would probably lay her out.
Tom B.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:53 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Danica will gain a huge fan base IF she becomes more fan friendly at the events. My personal experience seeing her at Indy events is she needs to acknowledge her fan and not hide and/or run from them, especially the kids.

Danica is not a agressive driver nor does she like to slide the car around and this is what it takes to succeed in NASCAR. Since she will be in the Nationwide Series I believe she will be a mid pack car.

Honestly I hope she does well and makes it up to the Cup seires but she will need a lot of seat time.

Will she be successful? She already is.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:56 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
She's an affirmative action race car driver.
QFT.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Sorry, don't know what QFT means.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:12 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Quoted For Truth
Old 12-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Danica is a really top notch driver and I think she'll be able to turn competitive times in the Nationwide series. It's about the right level for her to come in. I actually think that Trucks would be a bit better if it were truly hierarchial but to be honest the same guys are driving in all three series. Probably would be better to turn a few ARCA laps first.

HOWEVER, she's going to get clobbered for a while until she learns how to race. She always has been a great driver. But her IRL results have shown over and over again that her racing skills aren't up to the level the other drivers are. I never see her racing people down and in the Nationwide series where the competition is MUCH tighter than IRL it will become painfully obvious that she'll need to learn quickly.

I don't berate her skills as a driver, she's proven over and over again to be very good. She's yet to prove she's a great racer and top level roundy round is pretty hardcore in that department. I'd love for her to prove me wrong, but I doubt it.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:27 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports

She always has been a great driver. But her IRL results have shown over and over again that her racing skills aren't up to the level the other drivers are.
Bingo!
Old 12-14-2009, 08:14 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Well you know what.
I just might watch the first race she is in even if it is one of those left turn onlys.
Multiply that by whatever and she is accomplishing something right there.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:56 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FredC
Man you're off the charts... You should consider all the decent male drivers she finished ahead of in races and championships in the last 3 years...

That being said, it has proven hard for jpm to adapt. I can only imagine how much tougher it will be for her.
Fred, I agree, but think she may actually do better than JPM initially because of the amount of oval experience she has. JPM's biggest problem was learning to pass on exit not entry.

I still think year one will be a challenge.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:57 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

My sense is that she's an extremely talented driver, but has been held back in the IRL to some extent by not being in a Gnassi or Penske car. Even if she's not a top echelon racer, what she has accomplished, being competitive and even winning in what has been traditionally a man's world, is impressive. I'm happy for her success, and hope she has more of it.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Danica is a really top notch driver and I think she'll be able to turn competitive times in the Nationwide series. It's about the right level for her to come in. I actually think that Trucks would be a bit better if it were truly hierarchial but to be honest the same guys are driving in all three series. Probably would be better to turn a few ARCA laps first.

HOWEVER, she's going to get clobbered for a while until she learns how to race. She always has been a great driver. But her IRL results have shown over and over again that her racing skills aren't up to the level the other drivers are. I never see her racing people down and in the Nationwide series where the competition is MUCH tighter than IRL it will become painfully obvious that she'll need to learn quickly.

I don't berate her skills as a driver, she's proven over and over again to be very good. She's yet to prove she's a great racer and top level roundy round is pretty hardcore in that department. I'd love for her to prove me wrong, but I doubt it.
Well said. It'll be a real accomplishment if she can to run consistently in the top 10 in the Nationwide series by the end of the year. I'll guess she'll fall short of that. And adding to what mdrums said, she needs to learn to get out there with her fans vs. staying in the trailer. NASCAR will likely compel her to do so...this is big business compared with the IRL.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Fred, I agree, but think she may actually do better than JPM initially because of the amount of oval experience she has. JPM's biggest problem was learning to pass on exit not entry.

I still think year one will be a challenge.

JPM has 5 or so wins on ovals including the Indy 500 back when more than a couple of teams had a chance to win. One reason why I think she's going to have more trouble than he did.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,605 Likes on 834 Posts

More **** (however small) in the pits.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Quick Reply: POLL...Will Danica Succeed in NASCAR?