Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 06:33 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seat Advice

Building a new spec miata and need some seat advice guys. For those that don't know me, I'm 6'2", 215, wide shoulders, bigger than average legs with a long torso. I need to sit as LOW as possible in the miata with a seat that will fit in the miata. Don't want to spend a ton of money (it is a miata). Prefer a halo style seat. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 12-02-2009, 07:00 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

spg pro hans xl
if your thighs fit in, it will work then
Old 12-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Go over and search on the SpecMiata site if you havne't already. This has been covered there quite a few times. For many seats you end up need to 'modify' the tunnel to get the seat to fit.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:17 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

kirkey
Old 12-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

Previous owner of mine had Mitch Piper modify the factory sliders for the driver's side and mounted a Kirkey Intermediate Roadrace seat. I'm 220# with a 46 inch chest and broad shoulders and I fit the 16 inch seat like it was made for me. The only complaint I have is the seat is rocked to far back. I'll adjust that over the winter.

I also have that same seat in my Datsun V8Zcar project, although I'm buying an Ultrashield for the Porsche.

http://www.ultrashieldrace.com/prod.php?id=109

Mike
Old 12-02-2009, 08:37 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
kirkey
Deluxe Road Race

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/index.ph...&code=Series43

Lots of sizes and easy to mount.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:13 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an Intermediate 16" - 47500 with Black Tweed Cloth and an IOPort Adjustable Seat Back Brace I'd like to sell.

IOPort has a size/fitment chart HERE

PM if interested.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
...For many seats you end up need to 'modify' the tunnel to get the seat to fit.
Just to be clear, "modify" in this case refers to "hammer-tuning" the mechanical shape of the tunnel, allow for seat bottom/side clearance. "BFHammer", actually.

If you're the only user, bypass the seat sliders entirely and slam the seat right down to the floor...no risers...no nothin....between the "flat bottom" of the seat and the floor. Also consider using an air chisel to remove the "bumpy things" that the stock seat sliders bolt to. All are considered legal.

And...take a hacksaw blade to the snap-in seat cushion foam padding...saw the **** out of it, and thin it waaaay down, as your comfort requires.

In the grand scheme of things, you are far from the biggest dude to be racing an SM.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:22 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

I would look into an ultrashield. I actually have the HUGE one which came in my SM. Guy I bought it from was 6'6" 270lbs at least and he fit in it. Basically it can't be on sliders so you have to bolt the seat in one position to the floor.

I am 6'0" 209lbs now and just bought the ultrashield spec miata seat. It isn't a halo but I like it a lot. Fits me much better. It might be a *little* tight for you though. Fits me pretty perfectly. Depending on how much of your weight is bodyfat, it may fit you very well.....or not at all.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

The Cobra Suzuka GT and Cobra Sebring Pro GT would both probably fit you. Always try on a seat before you buy it, everyone's shaped differently. Also pay attention to the height of the shoulder belt holes in relation to you shoulders(+ Hans). I'm not a big fan of aluminum seats, rarely are they mounted correctly.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:46 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

I drive with a race tech seat...I'll find a picture. I'm between 205 and 215 and have ZERO problems in my mx5 cup. oh yeah and I'm just over 6'1"
Old 12-02-2009, 10:51 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

I'm in az and the car is in texas right now, but here is a picture

Old 12-02-2009, 10:59 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 204 Posts

Roger - how about putting your old seat back in the Miata?

I removed it from the 996 and bought the regular version of the Hans SPG as the XL version you had was too big for me. I have another guy evaluating it right now but if he passes I could sell it back to you. Should fit perfectly as it is already preformed to your butt.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:26 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I'm in az and the car is in texas right now, but here is a picture
Is that the RT4009HR? I thought about getting the RT4009WTHR for the extra height since I'm a little over 6'7". I'm not sure I need the extra 20mm width but shoulder width would be good.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:02 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
spg pro hans xl
if your thighs fit in, it will work then
Fits good, but pricey and not sure how it fits in miata.
Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Go over and search on the SpecMiata site if you havne't already. This has been covered there quite a few times. For many seats you end up need to 'modify' the tunnel to get the seat to fit.
Good advice..will do.
Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
Just to be clear, "modify" in this case refers to "hammer-tuning" the mechanical shape of the tunnel, allow for seat bottom/side clearance. "BFHammer", actually.

If you're the only user, bypass the seat sliders entirely and slam the seat right down to the floor...no risers...no nothin....between the "flat bottom" of the seat and the floor. Also consider using an air chisel to remove the "bumpy things" that the stock seat sliders bolt to. All are considered legal.

And...take a hacksaw blade to the snap-in seat cushion foam padding...saw the **** out of it, and thin it waaaay down, as your comfort requires.

In the grand scheme of things, you are far from the biggest dude to be racing an SM.
Will prob mount to floor anyway. Just trying to make the job as easy as possible.
Originally Posted by jakermc
Roger - how about putting your old seat back in the Miata?

I removed it from the 996 and bought the regular version of the Hans SPG as the XL version you had was too big for me. I have another guy evaluating it right now but if he passes I could sell it back to you. Should fit perfectly as it is already preformed to your butt.
Sent an email Rob.

Quick Reply: Seat Advice