Old 12-03-2009, 12:05 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I'm in az and the car is in texas right now, but here is a picture

What model is that CJ? Fit the quads ok?
Originally Posted by Greg Smith
The Cobra Suzuka GT and Cobra Sebring Pro GT would both probably fit you. Always try on a seat before you buy it, everyone's shaped differently. Also pay attention to the height of the shoulder belt holes in relation to you shoulders(+ Hans). I'm not a big fan of aluminum seats, rarely are they mounted correctly.
I looked at those also...how is the thigh area? I had an OMP originally and it killed my quads and almost cut off the circulation.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 12-03-2009, 12:23 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
kirkey
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Previous owner of mine had Mitch Piper modify the factory sliders for the driver's side and mounted a Kirkey Intermediate Roadrace seat. I'm 220# with a 46 inch chest and broad shoulders and I fit the 16 inch seat like it was made for me. The only complaint I have is the seat is rocked to far back. I'll adjust that over the winter.

I also have that same seat in my Datsun V8Zcar project, although I'm buying an Ultrashield for the Porsche.

http://www.ultrashieldrace.com/prod.php?id=109

Mike
Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Deluxe Road Race

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/index.ph...&code=Series43

Lots of sizes and easy to mount.
With the aluminum seats...I'm a little afraid of them. They make them by bending them and I've heard they are not quite as safe as the fiberglass.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
I looked at those also...how is the thigh area? I had an OMP originally and it killed my quads and almost cut off the circulation.
I would say they're roomier than most seats.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
I would say they're roomier than most seats.
Yep. OMP depending on the model have some extremely narrow seats.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Tom N
Instructor

Originally Posted by mooty
spg pro hans xl
if your thighs fit in, it will work then
Rog,

Mooty is on target.

I would go with the Recaro SPG XL frame (I have the SPG XLs in my GT3), which will work for your height and build. I assume the Pro Hans is the halo version.

Will that seat fit in the Miata?

BTW I agree with you on the Kirky aluminum seats. When I was looking at seats, I sat in several Kirky seats, one of them 20" wide, the only race seat I have been in that was loose on me They did not feel as solid as the Recaros.

See you at Roebling in January?
Old 12-04-2009, 09:12 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tom N
Rog,

Mooty is on target.

I would go with the Recaro SPG XL frame (I have the SPG XLs in my GT3), which will work for your height and build. I assume the Pro Hans is the halo version.

Will that seat fit in the Miata?

BTW I agree with you on the Kirky aluminum seats. When I was looking at seats, I sat in several Kirky seats, one of them 20" wide, the only race seat I have been in that was loose on me They did not feel as solid as the Recaros.

See you at Roebling in January?
Looks like the Pro Hans will fit...it is the halo version which I want. Thanks Tom.
What event is in Jan?
Old 12-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Tom N
Instructor

FL Crown PCA has a DE on Jan 23-24 @ RRR.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:06 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Roger, I had good luck with my custom Kirkey, to get it perfect I bought 2 seats though..
The first one was close, but not perfect, but close enough to make a second one perfect with adjustments. I think the seating position is so important it was worth it. The Kirkeys are not that expensive and the are easy to "adjust"

The right side was slanted to fit the tunnel closer, recline just perfect to the steering wheel location and perfect length seat bottom and side leg support and torso to hold you legs and body perfect. Bolted against the floor.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:02 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
With the aluminum seats...I'm a little afraid of them. They make them by bending them and I've heard they are not quite as safe as the fiberglass.

I suppose there are drawbacks to bendability of aluminum, but then composite seats can fail too. I recall hearing about a composite seat failure in a drag racing accident years ago that badly injured the driver due to the sharpness of the broken composite pieces.

Scott
Old 12-05-2009, 08:00 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tom N
FL Crown PCA has a DE on Jan 23-24 @ RRR.
Ahh. Will be there with the new spec pinata.
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Roger, I had good luck with my custom Kirkey, to get it perfect I bought 2 seats though..
The first one was close, but not perfect, but close enough to make a second one perfect with adjustments. I think the seating position is so important it was worth it. The Kirkeys are not that expensive and the are easy to "adjust"

The right side was slanted to fit the tunnel closer, recline just perfect to the steering wheel location and perfect length seat bottom and side leg support and torso to hold you legs and body perfect. Bolted against the floor.
Originally Posted by stownsen914
I suppose there are drawbacks to bendability of aluminum, but then composite seats can fail too. I recall hearing about a composite seat failure in a drag racing accident years ago that badly injured the driver due to the sharpness of the broken composite pieces.

Scott
Thanks guys. Luckily I will have my old seat (thanks to Rob) so I'm taking the guess work out of it. Used seat, but used by me.

I guess all of them can fail. Rough accident occured at Roebling yesterday with a good friend and fellow rennlister. He walked away with no issues but car was totalled or close to it. We are blessed to operate cars at such high speeds and have the safety equipment we have.

Quick Reply: Seat Advice