Sponsored by:

General DE question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 03:13 AM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
You're planning on doing DEs? Just to be on the safe side, you shouldn't have anything less than THIS.
I don't know. I think that turn 5 would tear that car up. Either launch it into the pits, or bury it into the infield.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With your goals and attitude, DE will be perfect for you. I'd favor the lower run groups just to keep it as non-competitive as possible.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:29 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

DE is a great way to learn more about you & your car. Speeds are higher, but your autox background will be a plus; your seat-of-the-pants senses are one up!
  • Listen to your instructor.
  • Ask to ride as passenger at some point(s), in either your or instructor's car.
  • If you & instructor don't mesh well (it happens) speak to Chief Instructor and see if switch can be made; don't let your day/weekend be ruined because of personality conflict (but I'll bet you find most instructors will be terrific to work with).
  • Talk to & meet people. The comraderie is a big part of the fun.
  • Respect the track - Respect the speed. Stuff happens, and sometimes its unavoidable. But many/most incidents could have probably been avoided.
  • Make sure your car is mechanically sound at all times. Don't ignore sounds/smells/leaks/etc.

And if you don't have fun, its your own damn fault!
Old 12-01-2009, 05:29 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

I never did the Autocross thing. One reason is that I have a 4 speed Tiptronic, and it sucks at low speed stuff.

I just jumped into the DE thing and went from the beginning group to the middle groups in a couple of weekends. It is a perfect thing for me. All I really did to the car was to put in a roll bar, 6 point harnesses, Recaro race seats, and a set of Nitto NT01 R compound tires.

The Nitto's have lasted me 15 track days so far, and have a few left, so not a big cost per weekend.

Really the biggest cost is the track time for the weekends. Probably averages about $400 for 2 days out here in CA. Then there's the hotel cost at another $150 or so for the weekend.

Sounds like a good plan, and most of the people that I have met are great to be around, and aren't there to "race", just to explore their own and their cars limits.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:44 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes this is the right choice with the right club. My view, PCA has the best beginner DE program, safety is paramount. You will be placed with a group of drivers with the same skills and goals as you do so there will be little pressure on you to impress or overdrive unless you do it to yourself. If you do, then you can't blame the venue. This is a fantastic hobby, and as said above its like eating just one potato chip, you can't you will have your whole head in the bag if you are not disciplined.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:56 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree with Frank - PCA is a great venue for DEs, especially beginners.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 12-02-2009, 02:30 PM
v8killer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out NASA here in AZ as well. http://www.nasaaz.com/

Quick Reply: General DE question