Sponsored by:

What is the true cost of racing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 10:47 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Wow. This is an insightful comment that truly speaks to me. It's all too easy to get caught up in the DE "swordfight" over the faster car / bigger wallet. Thanks. You may have saved me a lot of money!
Yeah it seems really strange, but I believe racing has saved me money vs DE. Here is how.

I started autocross and DE in 1998 in my stock 944 Turbo S. It was great fun, but I was new to all this. However in time I wanted more. Mostly for autocross since the Turbo S was not wel suited to tight courses. Plus I wanted a more raw feeling car. I could not do that to my turbo S and still keep it nice for the street.

So I built up 1984 944. It was junk when I got it, but perfect for my need. Decient body, but needed work every place else. So my father and began a father/son project to make this 944 into cheap autocross weapon. So that meant massive weight reduction for as little money as possible and stock everything else. The only paid performance mod I installed was a set of 225/50 R15 Victoracers. I even ran stock shocks and springs.

That car was a blast when I first ran it in 2000. However i wanted more. Time for suspenison mods under the guise that once buy them I won't need to pay money again. I could build a fancy motor, but if that means frequent rebuild it will get expensive fast.

So from Oct 2000 to April 2002 I modded the car little by little and found more speed. This car was faster in an autocross than my turbo and faster on a race track. The thing that kept me going was looking for new speed each event. By April 2002 I chose to race to keep things intersting. I figured the costs would not be much more. In fact they were not that much more at first.

That changed in Nov 2002 when I spun a bearing the motor and needed a rebuild. I was mid season and had another race a month away. So my father and worked hard to rebuild a spare block. Had it been DE I might have parked it for a year.

Still once I did that rebuild and did my final suspension tweaks the car has been the same since. I have run the car with virtually no component upgrades since Jan 2003. The car was basicly locked down by the rules. Here is where the 944 spec class forced my hand and kept me in budget.

The class rules have been very stable and limit mods to gutting, simple suspension work, safety gear and require stock motors. Given that my car was already 95%. So no new mods to stay in class. Since 2003 the only major upgrades have been to safey like a HANS & Fire bottle and to fresh paint I did myself. The rest has been just keeping up with maintenance.

So here is where the cost in DE would have killed me. I had great sucess in class in 2003 winning 15-20 races straight. So by sping 2004 I was getting a bit bored. I know had I been in DE I would have been bored even before then, but by 2004 I had dropped my lap times to 95% of optimal and there were no big time gains to see from driving. No major learnings. Heck I had already won alot too. If this had been DE I would had probably gone for a different car with more hp or stuffed a Turbo motor in my NA. Instead I took some time away from racing and by the time I got back my class was more competiitve than ever. Since then I have had to struggle for each position and each tenth. That has peaked my interest greatly.

Lately my focus has been on learning how to test and really fine tune a chassis. I used to just show up and drive. I was afraid any change to the car could make it worse. Well after way too long of doing that I am really into fine tuning. I will make small chaange and then determine the impact on track. This kind of thing helped me run the fastest lap of any 944 spec at Nationals in the Saturday warm-up and helped me lead the 1/2 the championship race. Still my racecraft was not perfect and that cost me dearly putting me donw to 4th by the end despite being on 2.5 seconds from first after 40 minutes.

So the point is that new challengers in racing and the narrow rule set has forced me to constantly develop and thus never get bored. As soon as I feel like I am getting bored I just look up and see that a 944 spec can lap PIR 0.5 seconds faster than me. I still have to find a way to do that. Or just say that rat bastard friend of mine got by me... I need to stop that.

If I was just lapping in a DE I would year to "improve" and since DE has nothing past instructor group improvement would mean better lap times. With nothing limiting me I am sure I would now be running hoosiers with at least 100 to 300 more hp than I have now. Keeping up with the Joneses in DE is hard, but in tightly regulated spec class you can't throw money at it.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:57 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you ever try to figure this out?

It'll only make you crazy...
Old 11-18-2009, 03:35 PM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Though the tendency to keep increasing the fun factor at a DE is to keep making the car faster, I've yet to figure out how people have any fun in something like a Ariel Atom or Radical. Not only are the cars capable of the same (or faster) laptimes as our race car, but they make up a lot more time in the corners and are slower on the straights than we are. It seems like you'd never get the chance to actually run more than 1-2 corners per lap without being held up a lot.
Good points. Despite the traffic problems at DE's, the Atom is still a hell of a lot of fun. Its those few open laps that you remember. I've moved on to racing my Atom and also run it at open testing days for pure track enjoyment. DE's are now social events with uninterupted laps considered a bonus.

Sad but true - most Atom owners don't have the traffic problem because they drive way below the car's capability.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Jim Clark
Addict
Rennlist Member

Honestly, if you have to ask how much to run a Porsche you probably shouldn't do it.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:17 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Where do we amortize the eventual engine/transmission rebuild?
Old 11-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
My wife is happy that my mistress is a car
My grandfather once told me... "its a bell curve, the more you make, the easier it is to find candidates, but the harder it is for them to qualify, the less you make, the easier it is to qualify the candidates, but its harder find them..." er, was he talking about a mistress?!?
Old 11-21-2009, 09:00 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickamurphy
My grandfather once told me... "its a bell curve, the more you make, the easier it is to find candidates, but the harder it is for them to qualify, the less you make, the easier it is to qualify the candidates, but its harder find them..." er, was he talking about a mistress?!?
I think he was talking about parking spaces.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:54 AM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

I never add this stuff up. If she asks, the answer is "I don't know".
Old 11-23-2009, 09:33 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 744 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Clark
Honestly, if you have to ask how much to run a Porsche you probably shouldn't do it.
Jim I disagree. The PCA racing program was originally set up to allow the average guy/gal make some safety modifications to their car and take a step up from the DE weekend to wheel to wheel racing. And while there has gotten to be an element of "keeping up with the Jones' ", someone that wants to go out and run a race can definitely do it on a budget. Heck, with some of the 944's, 914's, and now spec Boxsters, you can build a race car for very little money. So, no, you don't have to be in the 'money is no object' or 'if I have to ask I can't afford it' camp. I think many of us on here have a racing/track budget. The question is, does that budget run out after one, two or many track weekends.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 11-23-2009, 11:32 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

I think the "if you have to ask" idea is definitely true for the GT classes, not the stock classes (unless your goal is to win).
Old 11-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickamurphy
I have a very understanding wife. That is, she doesn't understand how much my racing habit actually costs
Old 12-02-2009, 10:10 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Originally Posted by Lemming
My wife is happy that my mistress is a car
Ironically, my wife is happy that my mistress is a 964. She even calls her a '*****' due to the time and money spent on her...

Quick Reply: What is the true cost of racing?