Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video: please critique my Mosport lap

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 06:20 PM
webbie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, good thing you catch on the track fever, worse than H1N1.

Short clip of me following you in the morning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97B5bRGXgTU&hd=1

PS. Don't even try to following that GT1 vette, 1:25 or something car at Mosport
Old 11-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Thanks, Bill. Do you typically start the turn after the sign in T4? Those off-camber downhills had me plenty confused.

As for the Esses, I find it fascinating that that strategy could result in a faster lap, since it would seem to require you to do more turning at T10. Is the payoff that you can be smoother through the whole complex if you're not braking and turning in several times? I really want to try this.

Also, Bill, I do hope we can meet up in the spring at Mosport. With whom do you normally run?
No, I go in under the "O" in the sign...just don't turn in quite so quickly, but you're right, you don't want to go out into the off-camber.

One payoff for the line through the Esses is that you can brake 'way later after the straight. It feels a lot less frantic. As to the rest, you can just maintain more speed. Webbie's video shows the first bit into 8.

I normally go out with UCR and Trillium BMW Club.

See ya

Bill
Old 11-11-2009, 07:13 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by webbie
Hey, good thing you catch on the track fever, worse than H1N1.
PS. Don't even try to following that GT1 vette, 1:25 or something car at Mosport
I've been vaccinated for H1N1, but I certainly felt a little sick after riding in that GT1 'Vette a bit later in the day! The track went by so quickly that it was basically meaningless to me, but I guess it did help me a little with T2...

Thanks to everyone for the input. I hope to see a few of you out there next year!
Old 11-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Being a novice and first time at Mosport, that's a reasonable lap.

I think everyone agrees that T2 & T4 are difficult turns for the reasons you mentioned: Blind, off-camber, over-a-hill and fast. T2 is extremely difficult.

It looks like your tendancy is to enter corners wide. In T1 you're wide of the patches. In T9 your entry is wide of the dark area on the track. I wouldn't worry about this because a wide entry is safer. Turning-in early can result in running out of track at track-out and that's a bad.

When I first went to Mosport, I too was lost at T2. As I crested the hill, I never really knew where I was positioned until I could see the first apex. And once I saw the first apex, it was too late to correct my line. One little hint I found was on the left wall is writing/advertisement. When you see the writing you have 1-2 seconds before you can see the apex and that gave me a tad more confidence to know where I was and to get on the gas and power into the apex.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:54 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jimbo951
It looks like your tendancy is to enter corners wide. In T1 you're wide of the patches. In T9 your entry is wide of the dark area on the track.
I think I've been going in so wide to try to see around the corner, or perhaps because I'm tentative about when to turn in, or have some kind of ingrained late-apex instinct.

Originally Posted by Jimbo951
One little hint I found was on the left wall is writing/advertisement. When you see the writing you have 1-2 seconds before you can see the apex and that gave me a tad more confidence to know where I was and to get on the gas and power into the apex.
That seems like a useful way for me to orient myself. I'm used to the sort of flat, simple course where you can see what's ahead and react to it as it comes, so needing to react to the corner before I could see it was a big logical leap for me.

Once again, thank you to everyone for the advice! I'm really looking forward to getting some in-car coaching next year.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:37 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you could use more of the track; missed apex at 1 by 2 feet, same over the top and down into 2; get those inside wheels right up to the grass there, way more track out at 3 lets you carry big speed...but, more importantly, just keep lapping safely, the speed will come comfortably.....
Old 11-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

More gas, less brake.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 11-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Ah, two new residents of Carjackistan. I love the citizenry of that fine nation.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Interesting. Do you still have a degree of control when they squall? Is that the step between the squeal I heard and full-blown sideways screeching?
Once you've exceeded the tires' grip (squallin') you're probably understeering, and it's just a matter of lifting gently to get back within the friction circle. I spent my 2009 track days on street tires (after a fewr years on R comps) and it was a good experience because the limits are lower and the transition from grip to tirewall was more gradual.

The "good" squeal will be high pitched and if you're doing it right, will maintain the same pitch. R-comps don't talk as much because they're gripping; and when they stop gripping they're sliding.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:14 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by gums
I think you could use more of the track; missed apex at 1 by 2 feet, same over the top and down into 2; get those inside wheels right up to the grass there, way more track out at 3 lets you carry big speed...but, more importantly, just keep lapping safely, the speed will come comfortably.....
When I try that at 2, it feels as though I'm turning in, then turning back out again to keep from cutting the corner. Maybe I'm way too slow here, as VR suggests!

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
More gas, less brake.
When I rode along in a GT1 'vette later that day, he kept pushing very wide out of turn 3, such that he would would start inside the concrete, but cross it at about where in the corner I judged to be the apex to be. Does everyone do this there?

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Once you've exceeded the tires' grip (squallin') you're probably understeering, and it's just a matter of lifting gently to get back within the friction circle.
Okay, I'll see if I can get them to do this on a more familiar track. Greg, did your street tires last you the whole season?
Old 11-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

When I try that at 2, it feels as though I'm turning in, then turning back out again to keep from cutting the corner. Maybe I'm way too slow here, as VR suggests!

When I rode along in a GT1 'vette later that day, he kept pushing very wide out of turn 3, such that he would would start inside the concrete, but cross it at about where in the corner I judged to be the apex to be. Does everyone do this there?

Okay, I'll see if I can get them to do this on a more familiar track. Greg, did your street tires last you the whole season?
They would have lasted at least two seasons if I hadn't locked up the rears at VIR,flat-spotting two of them. I ran Hankook RS2s and had them shaved to about half tread. (Of course, for me a "season" is about 8 track days.) You might actually get more track days out of a mildly shaved tire because it will reduce the likelihood of tread block coming off in chunks. Less tread also means less heat in the tire.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:46 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

A little over a year and a number of DEs later, I thought I'd return to this thread to thank everyone who chimed in so helpfully! I've been working hard at addressing a lot of the things you mentioned about the video, and I think I've come a long way.

One lingering question I have, though: why do all the fast cars I ride in with good drivers go so wide, so early out of T3? When I do it, it feels to me as though I'm driving all the way out there, only to slow down and turn in a way that bears no relation to the paved part of the track!

Thanks, again!
Old 05-14-2013, 05:17 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

May as well make this thread an evolution...

Here I am from this past weekend. Note all the changes to the track!

I think I can be a lot earlier on the gas. Thoughts?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:38 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like it, smooth and controlled.
I like the camera position,too.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:50 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

Very smooth , nice turn in, much less braking than before and you are about 12 secs faster this time around.

Great work!

Quick Reply: Video: please critique my Mosport lap