Sponsored by:

More NJ

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 02:57 PM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default More NJ

I know its been beat to death,but I think this is some additional news you can use.

The one thing you must accept is that NJ laws as they pertain to all racing activity (ie:road,oval or drag) ,NJ law supercedes anything else.It doesn't matter what the sanctioning body says,what the FIA may think, or what the Snell Foundation advocates,it just doesn't matter.

As a road racer,I also dabble in roundy round racing at Wall Stadium in NJ.I run a Legends car and the first time I showed up at the track,my car passed muster but my 2.5 year old belts and my three layer OMP suit did not.

The state police were present and would not let me out on the track until I corrected these two apparent deficiencies.

Belts could not be more then two years old from date of manufacturer.It didn't matter if they were the finest polyester,cam lock ,HANS compatible belts ever made.If they were more then two years old they were no good.Thankfully a vendor was at the track so I had to buy a $100 set of Simpson latch link belts or pack up and go home.I choose the former.

Next came my suit.I showed them the label indicating the three layers ,but it didn't matter.All competitiors must wear fireproof underwear no matter how many layers their suits may be.Luckily I had the underwear from back in the day when I had only a two layer suit.So I put it on and out onto the track I went.

Now understand, not the track, the state police or anyone else gave a rats petute as to my medical history,blood type or allergies, nor did they care if I had any sort of fire surpression device in my car.Not even a hand held was required.

Needless to say the NJ's involvement in on track safety appears to be cursory and shallow at best.

This latest incident at a PCA DE event is proof of that. A 20 year old set of OEM seat belts are fine ,but a racing five or six point harness over two years old is not.

I've done two PCA races and two SCCA races at NJMP,plus several DE's since it opened and have not had any issues with anything,but how long that will continue is anybodys guess.

My suggestion to anyone who wants to race at NJMP in the future,beg,borrow or steal a set of Nomex underwear,because you may need it someday to satisfy the state police.

As far as belts are concerned,my current FIA approved Sabelts are good till 2011......buy it will be interesting to see if they will let me race next year with them.If not,I'll do the same thing with my Porsche that I did with the Legends car.Purchase a set of $100 Simpsons and change them out every two years.

When it comes to racing in NJ, which is now seemingly now the home of racing safety expertise(LOL) ,we don't have much choice.

Tom B.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tomburdge
When it comes to racing in NJ, which is now seemingly now the home of racing safety expertise(LOL) ,we don't have much choice.
I know what my choice is.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:34 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,370 Likes on 1,996 Posts

When the police checked your underwear, did they have the decency to ask you to turn your head and cough?

Can anyone in Jersey including the track management at NJMP that decided to post last week answer the question of FIA belts?

If the FIA says a set of $600 belts are good for 5 years, does New Jersey state law supercede that and deem the belts no longer able to be used in their state after only 2 years of manufacture date?
Old 11-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
If the FIA says a set of $600 belts are good for 5 years, does New Jersey state law supercede that and deem the belts no longer able to be used in their state after only 2 years of manufacture date?
If so, that alone is likely enough to make sure I'll never make the trip for a club race or DE.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:43 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

I sense a burgeoning business opportunity in the state of New Joisey to export 2-yr-old FIA belts to the less-enlightened states...
Old 11-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

What is NJ law on the seatbelts and such? Do they actually have a law that states you must wear Nomex underwear under your driving suit? Is there actually a state law or county law that states your harnesses in the car need to be less than 2 years old?

This is all very intriguing to me as I have never heard anything like that coming from a state office. I have been around where sanctioning bodies have made these rules.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:43 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SUBCHAPTER 3. SAFETY REQUIREMENTS FOR VEHICLES AND PERSONNEL: ROAD RACING AND HIGH PERFORMANCE DRIVING SCHOOLS

§ 13:62-3.7 Safety belts, shoulder harness and crotch belt
(c) All vehicles (except motorcycles) participating in
racing, racing event practice, qualifying or testing shall require
a minimum of a five-point safety belt for each occupant
meeting one of the following standards:
1. SFI 16.1 or SFI 16.5, incorporated herein by
reference and available at http://www. sfifoundation.com,
seat belts shall be valid until December 31st of the second
year after the date of manufacture punched or indicated on
the SFI tag. There shall be one original tag attached to one
of the two shoulder belts, one original tag attached to one
of the lap belts and a third original tag attached to the
crotch belt.
2. FIA 8853, incorporated herein by reference and
available at http://www.fia.com/ spor t /
Regulations/standregs.html, seat belts shall be valid for
five years from the year of manufacture. Belts are
stamped or printed with an expiration year. FIA seat belts
expire on December 31 of the year printed or stamped on
the FIA tag. FIA tags are located on each leg of the
shoulder belt and lap belt, and on one leg of the crotch
strap.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:00 PM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
What is NJ law on the seatbelts and such? Do they actually have a law that states you must wear Nomex underwear under your driving suit? Is there actually a state law or county law that states your harnesses in the car need to be less than 2 years old?

This is all very intriguing to me as I have never heard anything like that coming from a state office. I have been around where sanctioning bodies have made these rules.
Yes and yes. In fact at Wall stadium,if you win the feature they can and have checked for underwear at post race impound.Rumor has it that they took a win away from someone for not wearing the underwear.

Also,when I bought the Legends car I had to make sure it had a "special NJ safety kit" installed.It consisted of several additional components unique to just racing in NJ. Otherwise the car would have been legal in all the other 49 states without this kit.

Tom B.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

WOW! That is crazy. Since when did lawmakers become such experts on this. I can't believe they actually devoted the time to research and write a law like this for the state.

Hard to believe that a racecar could only be 49 state legal.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:11 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,370 Likes on 1,996 Posts

LOL,

Post race inspection includes underwear check?? Who checks the females?

What happens if a particular driver has a "code brown" moment on track? Who gets to check him?

This topic keeps getting better and better.

I personally go commando....
Old 11-06-2009, 06:04 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

underwear check?? Who checks the females?
Old 11-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Since when did lawmakers become such experts on this
Since when did lawmakers become experts on anything? Healthcare social security, banking, automobile manufacturing? The list could go on, and on, and on...!
Old 11-06-2009, 11:57 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Since when did lawmakers become experts on anything? Healthcare social security, banking, automobile manufacturing? The list could go on, and on, and on...!
+100
Old 11-07-2009, 10:07 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

i have been drag racing in NJ for years and i still go and help/crew ( i am going road racing). And i have never seen a NJ trooper at a drag track. Why only road racing?
Old 11-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,607 Likes on 836 Posts

LOL,

Post race inspection includes underwear check?? Who checks the females?

What happens if a particular driver has a "code brown" moment on track? Who gets to check him?

This topic keeps getting better and better.

I personally go commando....

But, according to Pete Tremper and others here, you all should be THANKFUL for this level of government intrusion into your private life, just to have a track in New Jersey.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Quick Reply: More NJ