Sponsored by:

2010 PCA club racing rules changes

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Steward B.

As to carpet being glued to the passenger seat in a stock class car, thus meriting removal, let me tell you about the cup car owner at Sebring who was informed that his car "wasn't as delivered from the factory" to which his retort was "your rules don't specify what factory"
Sounds like the cup car owner was influenced by the same definitions that Smokey Yunick used:

It was common practice in NASCAR at that time to use the much stiffer Ford frame in a Chevy, Pontiac, or Dodge. Smokey believed that to mean that you could use “any manufacturers” frame in any car. So he “manufactured” his own frame. Since you had to keep the engine centered between the frame rails, he moved the entire frame to the left, as well as the fuel cell, driver and many other components to improve the balance of the car on Daytona’s banking. The engine was also used as a stressed member in the frame. The underside was an engineering marvel. The floor boards were lowered to create a belly pan, custom-made adjustable front control arms replaced stock units, and a revised front steer system was used to optimize the Ackerman angle and make room for the engines belly pan style oil pan.
http://www.canepa.com/inventory/race...e_1/index.html

I gotta say, I'm so happy with the camber plate and carpet ruling. Hopefully, I won't be disappointed with Donna's definition of clamber plates.

Thanks to all on the PCA CR committee for their efforts and rational, much-needed evolution.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 11-05-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:13 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Hmmm..........Havoc
Old 11-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,565 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Hmmm..........Havoc
I replied to your PM but I am not sure if it went through. Please let me know if you didnt get it.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 11-19-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
Thank you Bruce and everyone on the rules committee, this really is a very positive step forward. Time to find something else to bitch about
Won't take you long.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:49 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,197 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
so glad I did mine and it looks like this

Dont envy anyone the job
That's neither attractive nor eye pleasing. I'm thinking something in an orange **** carpeting would be suitable. Or have 'starry night' painted on the floor.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:47 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I replied to your PM but I am not sure if it went through. Please let me know if you didnt get it.

Noth'n yet.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Nothing yet.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:28 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
so glad I did mine and it looks like this

Dont envy anyone the job
Dan, looks like I can start grinding in order to prep my car's interior for the paint job!!!! Hopefully it turns out as nice as yours. :-)
Old 11-06-2009, 08:49 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Couple more years and a Voodoo dance in front of Norbert's grave and my cut all to hell GT will be back in a single letter class!
Old 11-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Steward B.
Carpet AND headliners can be removed. Note that we've clarified that indeed headliners can be removed. However, any removal must "be presented in an attractive and eye pleasing manner" See General Rule No. 9. In other words, clean up the carpet glue. Note also this isn't carte blanche to remove side panels, door panels, dashboards, etc.
Bruce,

If we have carpeting that has replaced the rear package shelf (the folding cardboard and vinyl thing behind the rear seats and under the rear glass of a 911), can we remove the carpeting there?

Also, since there is carpeting under the rear seat cushion bottoms, can we remove the cushions? Most of us have had to ditch the folding seat backs since they were interfering with the rear arms of the roll cage.

I usually email Donna, but I thought this might be an easier way to disburse the info as opposed to having 300 of us email her with the same, essential questions.

Thanks again!
Old 11-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Just an FYI (though most likely know this), an RS Carpet set has very lightweight sections that cover that area in an "eye pleasing manor".......... it's ounces vs. many pounds of sound barrier/padding/upholstery.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:09 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Just an FYI (though most likely know this), an RS Carpet set has very lightweight sections that cover that area in an "eye pleasing manor".......... it's ounces vs. many pounds of sound barrier/padding/upholstery.
Not to mention less fuel for a fire
Old 11-06-2009, 11:22 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Funny how every year the so-called "stock" class rules move further and further from stock. I'm not saying that's bad, just funny. May as well just scratch any rule related to stock appearance/functionality and be done with it already.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Funny how every year the so-called "stock" class rules move further and further from stock. I'm not saying that's bad, just funny. May as well just scratch any rule related to stock appearance/functionality and be done with it already.
We still have to run stock motors/transmissions, stock suspension design, stock body tub and fenders, and hopefully stock wheel diameters.. Having an interior in a race car was never a good idea regardless of class designation.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:42 AM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,197 Likes on 425 Posts

We still have to run stock motors/transmissions, stock suspension design, stock body tub and fenders, and hopefully stock wheel diameters.. Having an interior in a race car was never a good idea regardless of class designation.
+1.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:52 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah, I agree. There's obviously a balance between safety/utility and keeping the car streetable/in-stock-form. It's clear that PCA has given up on trying to maintain that balance, and I expect most would say that's a good thing.

Quick Reply: 2010 PCA club racing rules changes