Sponsored by:

IRacing on Long Island

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default IRacing on Long Island

I just came back from IRacing in Hauppague NY, where I "drove" VIR, LRP and WGI in Riley Daytona Prototype. This was my first time doing this, and at some point I had to walk away, as I was sweating profusely and needed to breathe.
Absolutely amazing!

The manager there is Artie Wiener, and his cell phone number is 516-984-4868

I'm not sure of their business hours but if you call Artie, I'm sure he will open it up for you. Price was $50.00 per hour, and there are some group discounts available. I would definitely go back.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:01 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
I just came back from IRacing in Hauppague NY, where I "drove" VIR, LRP and WGI in Riley Daytona Prototype. This was my first time doing this, and at some point I had to walk away, as I was sweating profusely and needed to breathe.
Absolutely amazing!

The manager there is Artie Wiener, and his cell phone number is 516-984-4868

I'm not sure of their business hours but if you call Artie, I'm sure he will open it up for you. Price was $50.00 per hour, and there are some group discounts available. I would definitely go back.
I was at the site last year, it was very nice, did you see all of the old race cars they had in the back of the shop?
Old 11-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just the ones Formula car plus some amazing, and amazingly expensive models. I'm definitely going back there when I have a free weekend afternoon.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:05 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

What is IRacing? Is it an iRacing.com simulator? Enlighten me.

Never mind, enlightened myself with a Google search on "IRacing in Hauppague NY". I pay $150 per YEAR for it and can run it 24/7 on my home PC, $50 and hour??? Put 100 hours in and you have a darn nice home simulator!
Old 11-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Rick, I've been thinking about setting up a computer and a "simulator" for iRacing (I have enough freakin' seats in my basement!).

I'm curious what you thought about it as a learning tool - both learning new tracks, and also for learning new techniques.

Do you think it's a (partial) substitute for real seat-time?
Old 11-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Yeah Rick, what do you think?
Old 11-05-2009, 10:59 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Rick, I've been thinking about setting up a computer and a "simulator" for iRacing (I have enough freakin' seats in my basement!).

I'm curious what you thought about it as a learning tool - both learning new tracks, and also for learning new techniques.

Do you think it's a (partial) substitute for real seat-time?
Personally, I like the league system in iRacing. However, I find the driving physics to be sub-par. I think the real issue is that the force feedback is not as well integrated as in other sims, which really harms immersion. The tracks are GREAT - totally spot on, but I wouldn't build a system just to run iRacing.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The driving physics are not sub par, they are in the top 3 with LFS and Simbin's rfactor/GTL/GTR/GT2 games. I find the force feedback works extremely well. In fact I've turned it down so that it's not as invasive. I agree that iRacing's strong suit is definitely the accuracy of it's tracks. Nothing comes close.

The one thing that frustrates me is there is no repair ability when in the pits during a race. If you get punted from behind at the beginning of the race, the result is the same as if it's your fault, and you may as well give up and have to wait for the next race in 1 hour+. That sucks.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:27 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

What series are you guys running this season? I'm focusing on star mazda and radical.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:02 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
The driving physics are not sub par, they are in the top 3 with LFS and Simbin's rfactor/GTL/GTR/GT2 games. I find the force feedback works extremely well.
I think LFS and the GTx series are leagues ahead of iRacing as far as the driving physics go. But hey, different strokes.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

And I like rFactor's physics better than GTR2, I guess it's a matter of taste.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:42 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

It is going to be a loooooooong winter..........

I better get my computer fixed soon...........
Old 11-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Gary R.
And I like rFactor's physics better than GTR2, I guess it's a matter of taste.
rFactor runs on the same "gMotor2" physics engine as all the GTR, GTR2 and GTL games from SimBim.

The only difference is the packaging of the User Interface.

I've developed add-on cars for both games and it's essentially the exact same physics model.

So, I have to smile when you say you like rFactor's physics better..
Old 11-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
I think LFS and the GTx series are leagues ahead of iRacing as far as the driving physics go. But hey, different strokes.
LFS has an awesome tire model, and the rest of the physics are great too, but in the end the graphics are so simple and clean, that it doesn't feel 'realistic'..

iRacing does a great job of VISUALLY convincing you that you are in a race car at a race track, it captures all the visual cues that you need, as a driver. It's like GTR but better. The physics are excellent but the sim doesn't give you the technical overlays that show tire wear and g-forces, like LFS does.

iRacing is definately the sim to stick with for fair, online racing where everyone is on the same level, with REAL tracks and cars.

LFS is good but lacks real cars and real tracks.

rfactor/GTR-series is most like iRacing but with unlimited free add-ons - except the addons might not all be 100% realistic.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I can never seem to get the feeling of understeer out of the GTR2 cars and with rFactor I have no problem getting off throttle oversteer, maybe it's just me.

Quick Reply: IRacing on Long Island