Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What PCA class would you race in........

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 12:08 PM
JR944
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I think John is the only one who got the question.

My 2 part answer:

If I could race any class and didn't have to pay for it myself: GTC3/996 Cup car. It's relatively easy to drive, great fields at most big races, and way fast enough to scare the crap out of me!

Unfortunately, I don't have the confidence that I could beat everyone else in the class (Jerry ) therefore insuring future sponsorship.

Being the junky I am, and wanting to continue racing on sponsorship $$'s, I'd be forced to pick a class where the competition wasn't so strong. Would have to look at results and competitors, but suspect the best choice for a fun car with somewhat weaker competition would be GT1 or GT2. (No offense intended to current competitors there)
Old 11-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
What class would a 550 Spyder race in? With my lack of talent, that's where I would have the greatest chance of dominating and keeping the car/sponsorship going beyond one year.
Yeah, you're sooo slow.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:04 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

John and Jr.........

Congrats in deciphering my question.........
Old 11-05-2009, 03:09 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Ah I missed the dominating part... forget GTC classes then if you want sponsorship the following year. There are guys who won almost every stock class race for years and when they changed to GTC they became mid-pack finishers. Of course some of that is due to more-legal GTC engines
Old 11-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When it comes down to it, sponsorship or not, I want a racecar that is reasonably fast, in a class with a good amount of competition, and one that is usually at the front of the run group so that I have a chance to be on pole.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:00 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
When it comes down to it, sponsorship or not, I want a racecar that is reasonably fast, in a class with a good amount of competition, and one that is usually at the front of the run group so that I have a chance to be on pole.
Oh yeah, forgot about the importance of winning the run group too! Try explainning to your kids that you DID WIN the race (class) but didn't cross the finish line first!!
Old 11-06-2009, 03:30 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 263 Posts

I was in the Super Classes/GT for years and switched to Stock (F then which I think is like E now) to see what more "equal" cars would be like. I enjoyed that quite a bit more than the super class because of more folks on the pavement and closer competition. In fact, I liked it so much that I sold the F car and went to a formula class in SCCA (FC). Now _that_ was really competitive. So like many others here, I echo the choice that has a lot of similar cars with good drivers in them.

Quick Reply: What PCA class would you race in........