Sponsored by:

Remembering Greg Moore - October 31, 1999

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 01:03 AM
Dennis K
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's hard to believe it's been 10 years. I was there at California Speedway that day too. I heard the terrible news over the radio scanner and as it filtered from the officials to the crews to the drivers. I was a huge fan of Greg's and it really hit me hard. The flight home that night out from Ontario was the quietest I've ever been on.

I remember going to Phoenix in '94 when out of nowhere, this new kid named Greg Moore qualified on pole for the season-opening Indy Lights race. The car was bare of sponsorship, with only a "99" on the endplates. The Tasman Racing teammates, who dominated Lights back then, were at least 1 mph slower. Greg destroyed the field in that race. He led every lap and I believe he lapped everyone but second place. It was obvious he was a prodigy. I followed his career closely from that weekend on.

The guy was awesome to watch. He had a natural feeling for ovals and he'd run closer to the walls than anybody else. When he got the drive at Penske, I thought he'd go on to dominate the series. It's too bad we never got to see it.

I still run a blue "99" on the side of my car at DE's in his memory.

Quick Reply: Remembering Greg Moore - October 31, 1999