Sponsored by:

ALMS - FORZA MOTORSPORT 3

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
That's one of the things that I love about GTR2 for the PC. You can download free tracks that have been created or converted from other sources. I've got Watkins Glen, Limerock, VIR, Daytona, Miller, Road America, Mid-Ohio and most of the California tracks. Detail is OK. Certainly not Forza3 quality. But I'll take realistic track dynamics over visual detail any day.
Windows only?
Old 11-02-2009, 09:57 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
the physics are pretty rad but more than anything you can really alter the handling via car setup if you know what to do...it's great
And that's the big "IF"........... Still plodding around trying to take this version a little more seriously than Forza 2. Not getting it so far. Am enjoying Le Mans though. And even the no chicanes version of the track! Just need to fake a 910's performance somehow with one of the other cars.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:26 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

yeah I mean ken you've really got to play with alignment, pressures, spring and shocks otherwise the cars don't really come alive.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:58 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

No doubt. But the little I played with it in "2", nothing corresponded to the real world. So I gave up and the little I played, I treated it more as an arcade. Was messing around with the RS Spyder at Le Mans earlier, and I see the leaderboard has some best time in that class of 3:01? Uh huh......... Maybe you get a couple of seconds under an existing track record, but not 30 plus.

In any case, if you want to throw out some settings that work for you I'll be happy to try them out!
Old 11-03-2009, 02:58 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been enjoying the hell out of Forza 3. It's worth buying an xbox for. Heck, Forza is the only game equi and I play. I've just got the microsoft wheel, but I suppose really what you want is:

http://www.fanatec.de/html/index.php?id=250&lang=en

They've got a GT3 RS wheel too but it's PC only. I guess that's worth it for NFS:Porsche Unleashed.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:38 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
No doubt. But the little I played with it in "2", nothing corresponded to the real world.
That was my experience, too. You make real world changes for real world problems and the cars did not react. I have stayed away from modifying cars in F3 because I had given up on the lack of realism in F2. I will have to try some mods in F3 and see if they improved the physics.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:20 PM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd be very interested to know if changes that were made to the cars were realistic enough that this game could be used as a training tool to minimize wasted time at the track. It seems for us that it is easier to go in the wrong direction than the correct direction in adjusting shocks and sway bars, and before we know it, we're returning the settings to where we started Friday morning.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:44 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nothing will ever be a substitute for "wasted time at the track". seat time prevails over all.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:00 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

I suspect the "wasted time" refers to down time between run sessions?

RE: the usefulness of a sim as a setup training tool, no I don't see it at all with this game. Broad strokes seem to cover all configurations.

Since I put my comments up yesterday, I set up what I'm most experienced with at the place I'm extremely experienced--a 930 at Laguna. (Would have done the '73 RS, but I didn't have the bucks to buy one!)

Out of the box, I'm at about 1:43 on my third flyer. So then I screw around with it just as you would a real car--suspension upgrades, wider tires, and a short ring and pinion. Down to 1:38. Uh huh. Not in my lifetime with me "driving".

But taking a step back to Forza 2 when they had all the tires you could buy from various manufacturers, say you slapped on those Hoosiers. On said 930, you going to be optimal at less than -1 degree camber? Run that adjustment past -3, then use the telemetry to tell you what the temps are across the face of the tire. Nothing to do with real world at all.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:01 AM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the one flaw with their physics is that the grip level is too high. Since forza2 they haveadded tire simulation (instead of just basic grip) so that tire flex is taken more into account. However they still have far overestimated the grip capabilities. I have a dodge ram in the game that will pull 1.2g's... haha
Old 11-04-2009, 09:00 PM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts

My gamer tag is RSR14 if anyone wants to race somtime.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:09 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

you can't compare the real life physics or tire temps to the game but you can alter the handling of the cars within the game parameters, I mean hell it's a lot better than nothing for 50 bucks.

and as far as lap times, it's a lot easier to drive 11/10ths with no conscious fear in a game then real life...
Old 11-08-2009, 01:39 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

It's still a game, so we can only expect so much. I've been out of the country since it was released, gotta buy it this week. I've got a new Xbox that I've not hooked up yet, I assume the Logitech wheel and pedals from my PS2 won't work?
Old 11-16-2009, 08:01 PM
RSKY BIZ
Shark Slayer
Rennlist Member

Location: 'BETWEEN NORTH STAR BOROUGH...& THE CONCH REPUBLIC'
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EDUCATE ME, PLEASE!

Originally Posted by ajcjr
You should check out the Rfactor Endurance mod, i am not a gamer but i do play rfactor all of time and this mod is great!!
Originally Posted by LDadrenaline
Here is a thread with all of the cars/tracks. Quite a few porsches

http://forzacentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31595
Originally Posted by Nugget
I've been enjoying the hell out of Forza 3. It's worth buying an xbox for. Heck, Forza is the only game equi and I play. I've just got the microsoft wheel, but I suppose really what you want is:

http://www.fanatec.de/html/index.php?id=250&lang=en

They've got a GT3 RS wheel too but it's PC only. I guess that's worth it for NFS:Porsche Unleashed.
Originally Posted by LDadrenaline
nothing will ever be a substitute for "wasted time at the track". seat time prevails over all.
This has piqued my interest to a new level. Total gaming N00B here.
I have never even Wii'd, so to speak!

Can you walk me through this -- I am trying to learn:

* Differences in applications / features between Forza 3 and rFactor;

* Whether most of the list of cars and tracks are 'downloadable add ons' -- as in additional purchase vs. included; and

* Further guidance, recommendations regarding the wheels and pedals!

Thanks in advance!
Kim
Old 11-16-2009, 08:54 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RSKY BIZ
* Differences in applications / features between Forza 3 and rFactor;
Forza 3 is a video game, rFactor is a racing simulator.

Quick Reply: ALMS - FORZA MOTORSPORT 3