Sponsored by:

Panamera in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 01:17 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is absolutely amazing, and (IMO) anyone with an ounce of driving ability, once they try it, will want one.

You want ugly look at the new Rapide, or the Fiskar or the F458 (I saw them all in Frankfurt).

Initially, I thought the Panamera was a disaster but after some critical analysis I realized the potential..and then I drove it in various iterations over 3 months.

It is the proverbial "ugly duckling" that turned into a swan. I drove it again at Candlestick today...and if you get rides with Cass Whitehead, you will walk away in disbelief at the capabilities.

It is the fastest 4 door sedan on the Ring (7:56) which equals the new 997s (with X51) at 405Hp, and only 6 seconds slower than the 997 Turbo.....amazing!
Old 11-01-2009, 06:54 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like the f*cking hindenberg...functional or not...its disgusting.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:34 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Interesting how polarizing the Panamera is. Seems like a mix of great performance but with many people not liking its looks. Maybe they should have called it the Porsche GT-R.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:18 AM
67FJ45
Pro

Maybe they should just charge more for it so people will think it's desirable.
Attached Images  
Old 11-01-2009, 09:45 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 825 Posts

I'm sorry.

No amount of horsepower, torque, or roadholding prowess can outrun THAT much ugly.

I ain't spending $100,000+++ in the hope that its looks "grow on me". At that price point, the looks should be part of the package.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 11-01-2009, 11:28 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw one at the dealer the other day. I like it!
Old 11-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
Saw one at the dealer the other day. I like it!
There's no accounting for taste!

Old 11-01-2009, 05:06 PM
67FJ45
Pro

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I'm sorry.

No amount of horsepower, torque, or roadholding prowess can outrun THAT much ugly.

I ain't spending $100,000+++ in the hope that its looks "grow on me". At that price point, the looks should be part of the package.
The pic above is the Bugatti Galibier, the >$1million sedan that is speculated to be nearing production. I posted it because I think its butt (viewed from the side) bears a striking resemblance like the Panamera. I wonder how its looks will play with the motoring press.

VR, awesome avatar, as always!
Old 11-01-2009, 05:10 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

I was hoping I'd like it better in person, but after seeing it my impression was that it better drive REALLY, REALLY good if it's going to be a success. It does look like Bangle was in charge of the rear end design. On the other hand, I thought the interior finish was very nice.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Compared to the 750 or S Class the Panamera looks OK to me. Driving it is a revelation though.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Compared to the 750 or S Class the Panamera looks OK to me. Driving it is a revelation though.
New 750 still looks like ***, but LEAGUES better than when the current 7 series debuted.

New S class looks like its designers slammed a bunch of LSD microdots while touring the Bauhaus museum.

New Panamera looks like a bag of dog**** from the B pillar back, but nice from the B pillar forward. Perhaps the design group was comprised of 2 teams that despised each other?

JMHO....

Old 11-01-2009, 07:50 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I refuse to give one a point. They'll have to black flag me.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

The Panamera is hideous looking to me. I understand that not everyone will share that opinion. My issue with it is that I don't know what it is for.

It is not a sports car, even though it is certainly fast, especially in the Turbo version.

It is not a luxury sedan, as it will certainly ride like ****, due to huge wheels and tires, as well as the 'Ring tuned suspension.

It will certainly be as big of a piece of **** as the Cayenne (and indeed all other recent German cars). The idea of any of these cars being usable as road cars in 15 years is laughable.

The depreciation is very likely to absolutely epic.

All these things can be correctly said about the competing Ferrari (which is 2 or 3X the price), but the Ferrari does not look like a rolling turd.

I am sure it will be a huge hit anyway.

Chris Cervelli
Spline Technologies
Old 11-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Premier Motorsp
The Panamera is hideous looking to me. I understand that not everyone will share that opinion. My issue with it is that I don't know what it is for.

It is not a sports car, even though it is certainly fast, especially in the Turbo version.

It is not a luxury sedan, as it will certainly ride like ****, due to huge wheels and tires, as well as the 'Ring tuned suspension.

It will certainly be as big of a piece of **** as the Cayenne (and indeed all other recent German cars). The idea of any of these cars being usable as road cars in 15 years is laughable.

All these things can be correctly said about the competing Ferrari (which is 2 or 3X the price), but the Ferrari does not look like a rolling turd.

Chris Cervelli
Spline Technologies
But how do you really feel about it? j/k of course
Old 11-01-2009, 08:38 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Premier Motorsp

Chris Cervelli
Spline Technologies
I couldn't have said it better myself! Also, the hideous form and shape is by CHOICE. There's no engineering or packaging constraint to dictate the cars utter hideousness.

Quick Reply: Panamera in the rain