Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heavy Braking Squirm???

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 12:33 AM
Todsimpson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote play in the suspension. Under braking you'll get toe out on one or both rear wheels. In my case, the back end would just wag back and forth slowly. Pretty predictably too, 3-4 wags at the end of a long straight.

The play was so bad it had ovaled the trailing arm mount on one side. I had to have the mounts welded up.

I rebuilt the sticky calipers and now the car brakes nice and straight.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:51 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 660 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
How much preload was installed in the diff and how long ago was it installed. It's relatively easy to pull the diff and check the preload and discs. Toe can also play a big role in what you're describing, but a Guard under 80% decel lockup should pull that car straight....

I just noticed you're running Pagid Blacks f & R. You could try Yellows (RS19) up front to create more rear bias....
Interesting, I just had the same thing happen a few weeks ago at Roebling in my 02 Boxster S. Prior to going to the event I had Pagid black pads, Pilot Sports and a track alignment done. The mechanic that installed the Pagids warned me that until the pads get worked into the rotors I could feel some instability under heavy braking, so I presumed that this was what I was feeling.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:42 AM
joel-cs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
In addition, if you have rubber bushings you'll likely feel some amount of instability under braking.
+1. This was the cause in my Cayman. I was getting huge toe changes under heavy braking. Gt3 lower control arms in the back fixed the problem.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:19 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

You don't happen to have a Quaiffe limited slip, do you?
Old 10-31-2009, 05:33 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave,
No Guards Transmission

Quick Reply: Heavy Braking Squirm???