Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Miata or Boxster as my next track car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 08:56 AM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=911vet;7030809]Most of the argument is academic unless money is not an issue. It takes a lot of money to buy horsepower and to keep the horses running. I don't have that kind of money.

"But if the GT3 driver's ego is as oversized as his engine, then I have no option but to let him fool himself into believing he's a great driver just because he can "go fast."

Shannon:

You are making way too much sense lately. Show us some pics of the Miata. Good move.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:47 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
SM will have a hard time. assuming lousy DE drivers, the miata will be screwed. you will not get a point by until 1/2 way down the straight, by then you have zero momentum left and the guy in front is wondering why you dont pass him.....
Not really, think exit speed.
I have no problem passing much faster cars down the straights in DE. Occasionally, I'll get the A*# that doesn't get the hint, but after a few corners they usually figure it out and I am by and gone.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:11 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sig_a

You are making way too much sense lately. Show us some pics of the Miata. Good move.
Sometimes we come by wisdom through thoughtfulness and virtue, sometimes we are dragged to it kicking and screaming. It was the latter in my case

I am looking forward to the Miata.

I'll have a 911 to drive on the street and a Miata to terrorize the track with. Life doesn't get much better.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:00 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 911vet
Sometimes we come by wisdom through thoughtfulness and virtue, sometimes we are dragged to it kicking and screaming. It was the latter in my case

I am looking forward to the Miata.

I'll have a 911 to drive on the street and a Miata to terrorize the track with. Life doesn't get much better.
Just noticed you aren't too far from me. Hope to see you at Mid-Ohio next year (and maybe Bluegrass if they open). I'm swapping an LS1 into my 944 turbo this off-season, so I guess we're heading in two opposite directions.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:09 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

SHANNON!
Congratulations! You've got a track car, and you didn't beat up the Cab too badly.
Are we going to see you this weekend? (I'll bet so) Last run of the year.
I'd like to spend a session in the right seat, if you don't mind. I might be doing the same car swap.
See you Saturday.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

There are a lot of compatible cars to play with at DEs. 944 n/as, E30s and the usual assortment of older Japanese cars all run at Miata levels. Yes, you can (and will) be held up by higher HP cars. It's a small price to pay.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:00 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
There are a lot of compatible cars to play with at DEs. 944 n/as, E30s and the usual assortment of older Japanese cars all run at Miata levels. Yes, you can (and will) be held up by higher HP cars. It's a small price to pay.
I've been driving a non-S Cooper for years at all kinds of DE/open track venues...with PCA I'm normally in Black/"A"/Solo run groups and seldom run into problems. As long as everybody (BOTH fast and slow cars) cooperates and reminds themselves that it's not a race things usually go well.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:34 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aeshultz
SHANNON!
Are we going to see you this weekend? (I'll bet so) Last run of the year.
The 911 is still at the body shop and the Miata is still out of state. But I'll be there to visit with all my track buddies and to steal a couple of Miata rides if I can.

Originally Posted by gbuff
I've been driving a non-S Cooper for years at all kinds of DE/open track venues...with PCA I'm normally in Black/"A"/Solo run groups and seldom run into problems. As long as everybody (BOTH fast and slow cars) cooperates and reminds themselves that it's not a race things usually go well.
Thanks, that gives me some encouragement. I have to admit I sometimes have second thoughts and wonder if I'm going to miss the HP of the 911 to the point of distraction. But I guess it was never gonna keep up with the ever-increasing number of C4S tubos and GT3s anyway. I'll have to swallow my ego a little perhaps. Then again... from what I've seen, sometimes it's the Porsches that have to swallow as Miatas and Suburus pass them.

Um... what do you mean it's not a race? Where do you drive, cause I haven't been to that DE yet!
Old 10-30-2009, 09:39 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Not really, think exit speed.
I have no problem passing much faster cars down the straights in DE. Occasionally, I'll get the A*# that doesn't get the hint, but after a few corners they usually figure it out and I am by and gone.
Yeah, one mistake I made early on in my low-hp 3.2 "momentum car" was that I'd be all over the bumper of a 996/997/turbo that wasn't so good in the turns and I'd have to let up. So when we got to the straight, they were gone.

I had a great instructor point out that if I would hang back at the entry and catch them at turn out, I'd have a better chance of getting that point-by. It does work sometimes.

Besides... the evil side of me actually gets as much satisfaction out of watching the car in front of me squirm, get rattled, get offline, and panic because I'm all over him and he isn't giving me the pass. He escapes in the straight only to have to endure the attack in the next set of turns. It's better than passing sometimes!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:16 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought a 96 Miata, not quite Spec, but heavily track prepped.

I'll let you know how slow I go. [/QUOTE]

Congratulations, I am sure you will enjoy the car. My mentor beat it into me - "don't worry about speed, smooth and consistent is most important." Boy does that apply to my momentum car!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc
Congratulations, I am sure you will enjoy the car. My mentor beat it into me - "don't worry about speed, smooth and consistent is most important." Boy does that apply to my momentum car!
I agree with you, but the first thought that went through my mind as I read your post is what Gilles Villeneuve once said: "You can tidy up speed, but you can't speed up tidiness."
Old 10-30-2009, 10:51 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I agree with you, but the first thought that went through my mind as I read your post is what Gilles Villeneuve once said: "You can tidy up speed, but you can't speed up tidiness."
Amen - the fun thing for me is I get to see it in my daughter who when given the choice between doing de's in our 924 S or our '06 Boxster S chooses the 924. Boy is she becoming smooth!
Old 10-31-2009, 08:33 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by 911vet

I have been looking only at Miatas but started thinking Boxster too.

There is a lot of appeal to stay in a Porsche on the track. Even if it is a Boxster and not a 911.
Even if it is a 911 and not a Boxster.

There fixed it fer ya.

Haven't driven the Miata (although have seen some really fast drivers in them) but can tell you from 2 DE's in the Boxster (after 2 yrs of DE's in my 996 GT3), the Box Rox!
Old 11-02-2009, 09:32 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Congrats on your Miata purchase! I too track a Miata to keep the costs low and I have a lot of fun running at PCA DE's.

Below is a picture of my car at the Peachstate PCA event at Road Atlanta last weekend. Check out that POS paddocked beside me. I had to watch the driver (and the two mechanics he brought with him) all weekend to make sure they didn't scratch may car!
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

Ferraris are a dime a dozen. Now a bad *** looking Miata like yours is a rare sight! Very nice looking Miata!

Quick Reply: Miata or Boxster as my next track car?