Sponsored by:

Miata or Boxster as my next track car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 09:17 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Your budget has made your decision easier. Miata.

The Boxsters are very nice but will cost much more to run.

944s are not nearly as inexpensive to own and operate as is generally believed. Ask their owner's to show you ALL the receipts, including the one they hide from their wives.

If you're already strapped, I'd stay away from the Boxster. (Besides, you'd be looking at the oldest ones 97-99 at that price). I have had many a well driven Miata eat my lunch. I'd go Miata no question.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:22 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you going racing or just "de"ing? Some PCA regions arent friendly to non-porsches. Economically, a Miata will be a cheaper way to go, no doubt about it. That said, either a Boxster or a 944.

Not sure about your take on the '44. An 8valve 944 will run $1-5K. Another $2k in "safety" if that's your thing, and you have another $2-5K for upgrades and extras.

A Boxster will run you, at minimun, $7.5K for a high mileage or salvaged titled example. You don't "need" a rollbar in the Boxster cause it already comes with one.. and get a read on the "spec boxster" rules.. and build one, over time, in that direction. Grow the car as you grow as a driver. Boxster parts are pretty cheap and plentiful and the cars are DIY friendly.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:23 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

944s are not nearly as inexpensive to own and operate as is generally believed. Ask their owner's to show you ALL the receipts, including the one they hide from their wives. [/QUOTE]

Careful dude, I know where you live and I know your bride! H'm, I could be tempted by $10/K...would only loose $15/K and wouldn't have to spend the $8/k I am contemplating over the winter. Anyone interested in a track ready/street legal '88 924 S?
Old 10-28-2009, 09:23 PM
sig_a
Pro

I like the Miata idea, and will let you know of any good ones in Cincinnati area. Good luck and good thinking.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:24 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

since your budget is $10k.....miata is the ONLY option...... you'll be hard pressed to find even a 97 boxster with high mileage for under $10k and you still need to modfiy it....944's are fairly cheap...but parts are NOT and they still have oiling issues...so plan on new rod bearings EVERY YEAR....

Miatas get a bad wrap, but they are extremely fun to drive....sure they don't have the HP of other cars, but the operating expense is very low too...so you can spend more $$$ on track time!
Old 10-28-2009, 09:24 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

for 10k, nothing else than a proper kart comes to mind. Not being pranky here, if it came down to 10k for me, that's all i would do... (by the way, i have way less than 10k to allocate to racing but hey, I still do it )
Old 10-28-2009, 09:26 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 962 Likes on 586 Posts

Miata- but you may say I'm biased...
Old 10-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

My 2002 Miata is one of my daily drivers, and it's silly fun to drive. I never thought of myself as a "Miata guy". Sure, I thought they were cool, modern iterations of the British roadster when they came out in the '90's, but it was never a car that I thought would be all that fun.

Boy, was I wrong. My street Miata with the sh*tty, stock suspension is just a joy to toss into corners. I love my 993 too much and really enjoy the folks in the Porsche club for me to consider dumping the P-car, but if I wanted to race and was scraping by, I would gravitate to the Miata in a heartbeat. Parts are dirt-cheap, the racing is very competitive (I know you're not racing. Yet.) and your budget is limited by $10,000.

Look at it this way: at least you're coming from a 3.2 Carrera and not a GT2 or some other power monster. You'll be fine with the Miata.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:30 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Your budget has made your decision easier. Miata.

The Boxsters are very nice but will cost much more to run.

944s are not nearly as inexpensive to own and operate as is generally believed. Ask their owner's to show you ALL the receipts, including the one they hide from their wives.
That is suppose to read 'ones' plural regarding receipts.

You guys know how it is.

Chris I saw you buying a race suit and who knows what else last weekend. You are one of those guys.

Not me, my wife see the receipts and Scruggs. "It's what he likes."
Old 10-28-2009, 09:36 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That is suppose to read 'ones' plural regarding receipts.

You guys know how it is.

Chris I saw you buying a race suit and who knows what else last weekend. You are one of those guys.

Not me, my wife see the receipts and Scruggs. "It's what he likes."
Naw, the suit was for Ashley, I was only the instructor/crew. Oh yea, the new rotors and pads were also for Ashley as was the new remote oil cooler and the 944 T oil filter console. It's amazing what the wife will allow when it's for her youngest daughter.

Whoops, a little off topic. I vote for the Miata (or a Honda Civic Si, gets you in BMW events)
Old 10-28-2009, 09:37 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Miata, plenty of room to do your own work under the hood. The Boxster mid engine is a PITA to work on. Consumables much less expensive with the Miata. I know of one person who has gone from a 911 to a Miata and loves his Miata. And to top it all you finally get a car with the motor at the proper end.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:41 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rlm328
The Boxster mid engine is a PITA to work on.
Maybe just me, but I never had to work on my Boxster motor.. Check PS fluid, change an air filter and call it a day. The boxster motor *may* be easier to access than the cayman due to the nature of the different roofs? Never worked on a cayman before.

Make sure you fit in a Miata as well. I found them challenging. The Boxster was built for taller/bigger people. Not sure if that's a concern.

And if you are considering a Miata, you might as well consider a 914. So.. Boxster, 944, 914 or miata
Old 10-28-2009, 09:46 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxjim
Miata, for all of the above state reasons. Cost, plenty of parts out there, cost, used Miata race cars out there, cost. If you decide to race SCCA, would be a relatively simple step.
Yeah they are neat. The only problem is all the other Miatas.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Two things about Miata. First, make sure you fit in one (with a helmet). I didn't (and I'm only 6'1"). Second, if you get any satisfaction out of having "paddock mojo" you'll be giving that up. But bang for the buck, it's a winner. I wish it was bigger!
Old 10-28-2009, 09:56 PM
jsh
Instructor

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Two things about Miata. First, make sure you fit in one (with a helmet). I didn't (and I'm only 6'1"). Second, if you get any satisfaction out of having "paddock mojo" you'll be giving that up. But bang for the buck, it's a winner. I wish it was bigger!
PG:

I'm 6'1" and 200lbs and fit fine (w/headroom). It's all in fitting/installing the seat. Find someone who knows these cars to set you up and you'll fit......

Quick Reply: Miata or Boxster as my next track car?