Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an older 911 an harder car to drive well........

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 03:03 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is just an opinion poll and flaming for what I think isnt really called for anyway.

I still believe a gtc4 car is harder to drive than a D car at the limit. A decent driver can be ok in a d car, he would get killed in a gtc4 car. I know I am not the only one who believes this. most just dont want to post it and go against the grain.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Mike Iapaluccio and Jim Lewis seem to have made the transition to GTC3 ok....
Old 10-24-2009, 04:15 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think the initial question has anything to do with your now new argument. Start a new thread asking if driving a cup at the limit is more dangerous and challenging than driving an SC. Your likely to get the answer you want that way. Paolo's questions was more directed towards racing an older car vs a new car in the same class and what one would be easier to be fast in. Maybe Paolo should clarify with yet another new ..........thread.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NJcroc
this is just an opinion poll and flaming for what I think isnt really called for anyway.
I don't think that Bob flamed you, and as he stated, it was not his intention. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but it is not supported by the general facts and experiences of the better drivers, in my opinion.

I still believe a gtc4 car is harder to drive than a D car at the limit. A decent driver can be ok in a d car, he would get killed in a gtc4 car. I know I am not the only one who believes this. most just dont want to post it and go against the grain.
Of course a GTC4 car is harder to drive than a D car (which is essentially a hopped up street car), but you are mixing apples and oranges. Compare a GTC4 car to a 935, and then tell me which you think is harder to drive. The pros will tell you. Compare a 914-6 to a Boxster, compare a 964 Turbo 3.6 to a 997TT. If you compare cars that are somewhat similar, the newer cars will always be easier to drive well.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
or is it just as easy as the newer ones?........

1) Is it as easy to learn to drive well as the front and mid-engined Porsche?.......

2) Is an older 911(car) driver required to be more skillfull than the other platforms in order to survive and place well, or it doesn't matter whether the "nannies" (ABS, Power Steering, PSM) in the newer cars are there on or not?

Just looking for some discussion........
1) How do you know if a car is being driven well? Because it's fastest in its class?

2) PSM gets in my way, and leaving it on costs me about 1-2 seconds per lap. It also prevents me from trail braking (even mild trail braking). The ABS seems to engage far too often on a bumpy track. So, I'd argue that the "nannies", as you put it, require the driver on a newer car to be more skillful as they have to figure out how to work around those impediments.

Now, the newer cars do have better suspension technologies, but you weren't asking about that.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Why is you bros all picking on da D cars?? Slam dem F cars, datz Paolo's gig!
Old 10-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Why is you bros all picking on da D cars?? Slam dem F cars, datz Paolo's gig!
I'd pick on them because it seems like virtually every D class driver lays down some monster lap times. It must be because those cars are so easy to drive.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian P
I'd pick on them because it seems like virtually every D class driver lays down some monster lap times. It must be because those cars are so easy to drive.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:48 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Bob, you hit on the nose....

Brian, by driven well I mean podium.......BTW, can your PSM be shut off?

Gary, they all pick on the D cars cauze you guys are so darn fast with dem CT Stock engines......
Old 10-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Bob, you hit on the nose....

Brian, by driven well I mean podium.......BTW, can your PSM be shut off?
Podiuming has a lot more to do with the driver than it does with car choice.

The PSM can be turned "off", but it reactivates while the brakes are being used. That's why it completely kills the ability to trail brake.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:16 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Podiuming has a lot more to do with the driver than it does with car choice.
Originally Posted by Larry Herman
If you compare cars that are somewhat similar, the newer cars will always be easier to drive well.
The PSM can be turned "off", but it reactivates while the brakes are being used. That's why it completely kills the ability to trail brake.
Brian I woulnd't argue with Larry......

you should just get a 911.......then you will have nothing interfering with your driving.......
Old 10-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Brian I woulnd't argue with Larry......

you should just get a 911.......then you will have nothing interfering with your driving.......
Funny. However, I don't believe his GT3 had PSM, so he didn't have the same issue with it that I did.

Also, you should note that according to the national PCA statistics of DE incidents, the overwhelming plurality (it was almost a majority) of incidents were with GT3's. It seems surprising that that would be the case if they were so easy to drive.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny. However, I don't believe his GT3 had PSM, so he didn't have the same issue with it that I did.
True, and having PSM get in the way of a more advance driver such as yourself would be a hinderance. Still the basic platform of your Boxster is far superior to what was made 20 years ago. I think that PSM does not affect the majority of drivers out there.

Also, you should note that according to the national PCA statistics of DE incidents, the overwhelming plurality (it was almost a majority) of incidents were with GT3's. It seems surprising that that would be the case if they were so easy to drive.
That doesn't surprise me. They are solid, predictable and highly communicative cars. With 400 hp though, they are not a car for the untalented. I would be interested to know what percentage of those incidents involved drivers with less than 2 or 3 years track time.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:00 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

True, and having PSM get in the way of a more advance driver such as yourself would be a hinderance. Still the basic platform of your Boxster is far superior to what was made 20 years ago. I think that PSM does not affect the majority of drivers out there.

That doesn't surprise me. They are solid, predictable and highly communicative cars. With 400 hp though, they are not a car for the untalented. I would be interested to know what percentage of those incidents involved drivers with less than 2 or 3 years track time.
Given that about 1/3 of overall incidents were in the instructor group, many of them were with people who had lots of experience.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

I agree that the platform is better, if for no other reason than a mid-engined platform is better. The "nannies" that Paolo talks about gets in the way of a driver with even medium experience. For a racing environment (and this is the environment Paolo cares about) those nannies are definitely a detriment.

Quick Reply: Is an older 911 an harder car to drive well........