Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What parts do you bring for a race weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 08:46 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What parts do you bring for a race weekend?

Sounds silly, but I am still working on the "must haves" for a race weekend to keep the car running. There always seems to be something simple that ends up giving you the shaft.

My typical kit for an air-cooled 993:

DME relay,
Spare computer (if raining)
Lug nuts, seats bolts, wheel studs, rotors, half shaft, coil, dist cap, rotor, plugs, spare flywheel sensor, used spare clutch, pressure plate, MAS air flow sensor, air filter, big box of bolts for various fittings (CV joints), wheel bearing, drop links front and rear, fuel injectors.

At this point, I have had to service all of the above at the track less the clutch.

What am I missing? Toe links? Anyone care to add the odd parts not covered?
Old 10-22-2009, 09:03 PM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i'll add: spare serpentine belt(s). spare alternator. a spare hub for every corner of the car (complete, assembled, and ready to go, with brake calipers bolted on. i bring 4 spare axles (two each of each side). a HUGE box of spare nuts and bolts. a small, cheap mig welder (with welding mask!). my electrical kit, which consists of tons of different spools of wire, my soldering gun, and just about every type of spade connector in existence. spare exhaust tubing (can be welded to fix something). tons of spare brake rotors and pads, plus some spare brake hardware parts. spare set of braided brake hoses. an assortment of spare coolant lines (lol i don't think you need any of those!!!). a spare brake master cylinder, bolted up already to a spare vacuum canister and reservoir, ready to be bolted into the car. a spare slave cylinder for the clutch (with line already attached). a big battery charger comes in handy, too. that's most of the 'kit' that i bring with me (that is for the Probe; the honda civic race kit is almost identical).

todd
ReidSpeed
Old 10-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by d15b7
i'll add: spare serpentine belt(s). spare alternator. a spare hub for every corner of the car (complete, assembled, and ready to go, with brake calipers bolted on. i bring 4 spare axles (two each of each side). a HUGE box of spare nuts and bolts. a small, cheap mig welder (with welding mask!). my electrical kit, which consists of tons of different spools of wire, my soldering gun, and just about every type of spade connector in existence. spare exhaust tubing (can be welded to fix something). tons of spare brake rotors and pads, plus some spare brake hardware parts. spare set of braided brake hoses. an assortment of spare coolant lines (lol i don't think you need any of those!!!). a spare brake master cylinder, bolted up already to a spare vacuum canister and reservoir, ready to be bolted into the car. a spare slave cylinder for the clutch (with line already attached). a big battery charger comes in handy, too. that's most of the 'kit' that i bring with me (that is for the Probe; the honda civic race kit is almost identical).

todd
ReidSpeed
Why don't you just bring another probe?
Old 10-22-2009, 09:07 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The more I think about it and read about the spares lists, the more signing up for track support from a reputable company seems to make sense.......

But that is just me, with no mechanical skills whatsoever......
Old 10-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A close friend did not calibrate his torque wrench and somehow managed to torque the lug nuts so tight on his '87 Carrera that he sheared one off. He didn't feel safe driving with only four and had no spares so his weekend ended during practice.

I have had a one year old Bosch alternator give it up during a practice session. Were is not for the kind assistance of fellow competitors and rennlisters (thanks Ernie J and Van) that were able to get a used unit and help with the installation my weekend would have ended right there.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:09 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

I forgot to mention the belts. Brakes, fluids etc are absolutes so I did not mention. Good idea to bring spare brake lines and bleeder valves too I would think. How about the time Darren rebuilt his trans at the track? Todd, see you at Tbolt.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:10 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Streak
Why don't you just bring another probe?
That's my strategy -- bring 2 cars
Old 10-22-2009, 09:10 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

I have a spare everything, though I did give my spare tach to Sean F.....
Old 10-22-2009, 09:11 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Streak, Todd brings the welder. If the Probe breaks in half, he just welds it back together.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

I think the spares question begs another, which is what do you need to replace periodically because you know it's a wear item so that it doesn't fail? Specifically wheel bearings, ball joints, spherical bearings, stuff like that. Ideally if you knew how long these items last, which you probably have a good idea now Bob, just replace them before they go bad.

For example the 2003 996 Cup manual says:

After 30 hours:
"Completely dismantle suspension, crack detection of all parts; renew wheel bearings and drive
shafts.
· Change fuel filter."

I think that's the way to think about it, just replace the parts when their life is over (to be defined how long that is) rather than waiting for them to fail.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:23 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Geoffrey will have the most comprehensive maintenance list. His car is perfect. I bet he replaces stuff because it looks dirty to him.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:25 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren
I think the spares question begs another, which is what do you need to replace periodically because you know it's a wear item so that it doesn't fail? Specifically wheel bearings, ball joints, spherical bearings, stuff like that. Ideally if you knew how long these items last, which you probably have a good idea now Bob, just replace them before they go bad.

For example the 2003 996 Cup manual says:

After 30 hours:
"Completely dismantle suspension, crack detection of all parts; renew wheel bearings and drive
shafts.
· Change fuel filter."

I think that's the way to think about it, just replace the parts when their life is over (to be defined how long that is) rather than waiting for them to fail.
Completely agree with preventive maintainance but PMS carryies it too an extreme. That maintainance schedule was created with Super Cup and Carrera Cup series in mind. They also rebuild their motors after 40 hours but cups rountinely go well over 100 hours. For club raced cups, you can relax the waypoints a bit...
Old 10-22-2009, 09:29 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

^^^^^^^ A racer from our club had David Donohue drive his Cup at NJMP over the summer. After the session he said " NOw I know why they rebuild them so often!!!" David corded a slick in one session. LOL!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

I guess I don't take club racing as seriously as many of you. I take a couple rotors and pads and thats about it. Oh and a case or two of beer so if my car breaks early in the weekend I have some refreshments to keep me busy while I watch the rest of you fight it out. I put the car up and fight another day.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

-rotors
-brake pads
-half shaft (used it at the last PCA Summit race)
-belts
-spark plugs
-distributor cap
-distributor rotor
-stickers to cover damage that can't be rubbed out (kidding)

Quick Reply: What parts do you bring for a race weekend?