NASA TT Class for '09 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default NASA TT Class for '09 Carrera

I wonder if someone could help with a little experience on how to get to the right result of a NASA time trial classification.

I have a 2009 Carrera 4S Cabriolet
385 hp
3516 lb (plus 230lb driver)
Toyo RA-1's.

What's the right math for power/weight and points for this car? (I have my own working, but want a sanity check.)

If I change the rear sway to the GT2 adjustable. What's the points?

If i change out the third (center) muffler for a delete pipe, what's the points for the exhaust mod and is there points (I assume there is) for weight reduction?

If I replace the front seats with seats with lightweight shells, is that just a weight reduction point calculation?

Has NADA set a precedent on PDK (or any dual clutch in any other car, say BMW) for points?

I have the '09 PDFs, by the way.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:40 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the points PDF then why is there a question? The points are all listed.

RTFM
Old 10-23-2009, 12:39 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Darren
If you have the points PDF then why is there a question? The points are all listed.

RTFM
Charming.

The "FM" doesn't cover all of my questions.

The '09 cars are not listed, so it's a matter of working hp/lb ratio, then adjusting rather than working from the specific car.

It's the end of the season and I made a last minute decision to join some friends at the track for the "finale" weekend.

Presumably someone has already read the 40+ pages of the "FM" to pick out the relevant, overlapping or special cases or worked with NASA folks to arrive at a precedent.

The best advice so far is just to run in TTA.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:46 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

adam, pm karlooz.
he's nasa expert.
so you will be at SP this weekend then???
Old 10-23-2009, 01:00 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Ok, I'll try for a real answer:

997 C4S ('06'-07) PTA 3252

Is the 09 significantly different in performance? If not I'd assume this stays the same, you start in PTA with 0 points.

Sway bars +2
Exhaust +2 (I think, dont worry about the weight you're over anyway)
Front seats 0 points (over weight)
Clutch 0 (free!)

I'm not the authority, Greg is greg@nasa-tt.com. I would send him an email if you're concerned verifying all of this.

I'm 99.99% sure that TTA is correct for your car. I think you would need to use 16 more mod points before getting bumped. AND you could lose 500 lbs!!! and not change.

Its a very difficult TTA car to be competitive in, I don't think anyone will challenge you anyway.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:01 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
adam, pm karlooz.
he's nasa expert.
so you will be at SP this weekend then???
Thanks. Yep. Looks to be a great weekend of racing and the luxury of another weekend at Sears is too good to pass up.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:03 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

BTW TTA and PTA are the same thing. The Performance Touring series rules are the same a the Time Trial rules for NASA.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:06 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Darren
Ok, I'll try for a real answer:

997 C4S ('06'-07) PTA 3252

Is the 09 significantly different in performance? If not I'd assume this stays the same, you start in PTA with 0 points.

Sway bars +2
Exhaust +2 (I think, dont worry about the weight you're over anyway)
Front seats 0 points (over weight)
Clutch 0 (free!)

I'm not the authority, Greg is greg@nasa-tt.com. I would send him an email if you're concerned verifying all of this.

I'm 99.99% sure that TTA is correct for your car. I think you would need to use 16 more mod points before getting bumped. AND you could lose 500 lbs!!! and not change.

Its a very difficult TTA car to be competitive in, I don't think anyone will challenge you anyway.
Thanks. I don't want to bother NASA folks leading into a big weekend, I'm sure they're already fully occupied. I just wanted a bit of a sanity check so I don't show up Saturday and have last minute changes.

By the way, though it's not much on paper, it seems the '09 is significantly quicker than the '07 and I think PDK should attract points, but I suppose the various TT organizers will wait and respond once they see the actual delta.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:13 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Thanks. Yep. Looks to be a great weekend of racing and the luxury of another weekend at Sears is too good to pass up.
wish i can be there.
raced with PRC last time when they were at SP.
the BSR was having fun with the slower spec 911's ;-)
two wide through the esses and two wide through T7
Old 10-23-2009, 01:14 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks. I don't want to bother NASA folks leading into a big weekend, I'm sure they're already fully occupied. I just wanted a bit of a sanity check so I don't show up Saturday and have last minute changes.

By the way, though it's not much on paper, it seems the '09 is significantly quicker than the '07 and I think PDK should attract points, but I suppose the various TT organizers will wait and respond once they see the actual delta.
no kidding. once they see the time you posted two weeks ago, you will be classed with cup cars
Old 10-23-2009, 01:15 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Shhhhh! Stop asking so many questions
Old 10-23-2009, 11:35 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 460 Posts

Email Greg NASA TT director. Or post the question on
http://www.nasaforums.com/viewforum....f55be39f5d6769

Since the 09 is not listed it would probably default to TTS/TTU depending on hp to weight as per dyno sheet. If no dyno then TTR is your only option. The 2010 TT rules will have some significant changes at least in how shocks are graded.

Peter
Old 10-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Haha that heavy car in TTU? Porsches just don't work in the PT/TT rules IMHO. If you really want laughs compare the points from a built GTS3 e36 M3 vs a GTS3 993. Very similar cars in GTS3 but the e36 (generally) ends up PTB.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Derik Royal
Intermediate

If the component isn't specifically addressed with a point assessment or if removal isn't expressly prohibited, then you should be able to remove it as long as you meet the base minimum weight (w/ driver)
I could certainly make a case for the car startiing off in TTB with the horsepower to weight ratio exceeding 11:1, but what do I know. I'm at 19 points in TTA with 3,180lbs driver included. I don't see too many other Porsches in TT down here although they can be competitive. An 05 911S has the TTA track record at all of the tracks NASA FL runs at. PDK is a nifty device.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Derik Royal
An 05 911S has the TTA track record at all of the tracks NASA FL runs at.
This is the same basic reference point I got from someone locally who used to run an '07 C2S in TTA with a lot of upgrades.

Quick Reply: NASA TT Class for '09 Carrera