Sponsored by:

Sunroof removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 11:32 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Sunroof removal

as a winter project, i want to remove the sunroof, all the stuff to operate it, and close off the hole. The car is a 1980 SC.

What pitfalls should i anticipate?
How much of a weight saving should this represent?
What's the best way to close off the hole?

Thanks

Fred
Old 10-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Fred!

No pitfalls really. Just lots of irritating cleanup of glue etc.

I took mine out and the motor stuff was about 12 lbs.

I kept the metal roof piece. I had Piper Motorsports weld four tabs to the underside and filled the seams.

Big benefit is that Piper was able to run a diagonal roof bar much farther away from my head

I'll try to get some pics for you.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

I believe the fiberglass panels are illegal, so you can have the original panel welded in or you can always have a new no-sunroof roof panel installed. You could also take an aluminum sheet and pop-rivet it into place with some sealer to keep the water/wind out to go true ghetto. I think Dan told me it saves about 5LB total.

Streak - why would you go to the trouble of removing that and still run 100 extra LB of impact bumpers??
Old 10-21-2009, 01:28 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cut the roof off a 77 leaving a lip 2 inches around all 4 sides. The removed part that had no mechanicals on it was 70 something pounds. Is it legal to remove the sunroof type roof and replace with a non sunroof roof? If so 70 pounds from up high is good to loose.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:29 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Fred are you starting to find ways to lose 100 lbs for next year prepared E class?
Old 10-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kurt M
I cut the roof off a 77 leaving a lip 2 inches around all 4 sides. The removed part that had no mechanicals on it was 70 something pounds. Is it legal to remove the sunroof type roof and replace with a non sunroof roof? If so 70 pounds from up high is good to loose.
Kurt, are you saying the sunroof/mechanicals weigh 70LB MORE than a stock roof panel??? And yes, our cars were available without sunroofs so a "sunroof-delete" is legal AFAIK.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:01 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looked into this a few times over the years. Sunroof delete is legal in stock but it must be a metal panel of some sort. Best way to do it is to drill out the spot welds along the rain gutter and pull and replace the panel. I've been told by a few folks that trying to match the compound curve in the original opening is tough and body filler will crack/pop out from the twisiting.

Plus with silver metallic paint you'll have to paint out to the gutters anyway so there's not really any incremental painting involved with the new panel route.

I know you want a perfect look. Go with the new panel.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrisp
I know you want a perfect look. Go with the new panel.
You obviously haven't seen Frederico's car recently.....
Old 10-21-2009, 02:36 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a full sunroof delete panel from a scrap 944 I will drill out the spot welds along the rain gutter and pull and replace the panel. As I am respraying the car this winter and fitting a new cage now is the best time to have the roof off. Try looking around for accident damaged sunroof delete shells where the roof may be untouched.

Alternatively a good bodyshop guy told me he could install sheet metal and then panel beat it to shape but would take more of his time to do
Old 10-21-2009, 02:38 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

on my 928 sunroof car 10 years ago, I was able to cut most of the "stuff" out and saved 25lbs! (still bolting in the heavy , 15lb sunroof panel! ) my last car was a non-sunroof car, but now I have to do it all again with a sunroof version of the 928. I have a roof from a non sunroof car and will try and have someone put that in. after looking at the structure of both, it looks like a huge job, but I guess worst case, we could cut a square out , taking most of the sunroof structure out and weld in the matching square of the donor roof. I hope it can be done as a replacement. looks like a big job though!

mk
Old 10-21-2009, 02:41 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
on my 928 sunroof car 10 years ago, I was able to cut most of the "stuff" out and saved 25lbs! (still bolting in the heavy , 15lb sunroof panel! ) my last car was a non-sunroof car, but now I have to do it all again with a sunroof version of the 928. I have a roof from a non sunroof car and will try and have someone put that in. after looking at the structure of both, it looks like a huge job, but I guess worst case, we could cut a square out , taking most of the sunroof structure out and weld in the matching square of the donor roof. I hope it can be done as a replacement. looks like a big job though!

mk
Not sure about the 928 but the 944 is easier than it looks - so I am told (looks very daungting at first) Do a search on the 944 turbo forumn for a user called 'future' and search keyword 'roof'
Old 10-21-2009, 03:12 PM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gary R.
You obviously haven't seen Frederico's car recently.....
long time no speak buddy I am hoping to beautify the car in my spare time over the winter now that we have a bigger garage. Way too many panels are held in place with duct tape, tie raps and various other temporary fasteners...
Old 10-21-2009, 03:13 PM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by DanR
I just bought a full sunroof delete panel from a scrap 944 I will drill out the spot welds along the rain gutter and pull and replace the panel. As I am respraying the car this winter and fitting a new cage now is the best time to have the roof off. Try looking around for accident damaged sunroof delete shells where the roof may be untouched.

Alternatively a good bodyshop guy told me he could install sheet metal and then panel beat it to shape but would take more of his time to do
Respraying... can't wait to see how the car looks once you're done.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:24 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.

Streak - why would you go to the trouble of removing that and still run 100 extra LB of impact bumpers??
Because I'm afraid of Corvettes
Old 10-21-2009, 03:29 PM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Streak
Because I'm afraid of Corvettes
Nice! Does your car pull to the right Streak?

Quick Reply: Sunroof removal