Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seats For DE; OEM But Different

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009 | 04:28 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Question Seats For DE; OEM But Different

I've been wanting to install 996 GT3 or better seats, but since I only do a couple DEs a year, I've been reluctant since I don't care for my passengers, mainly the wife, to have to deal with entry and exit of the seat and accompanying bolsters.

Had a friend [instructor] advise me that I could simply install the GT3 seat in the driver's position and keep my standard comfort seat in the passenger position, and avoid the whole 'must be equal safety' discussion if *both* seats are using the stock seat belts.

I guess I could swap the comfort for GT3 passenger seat for each event, but that's a couple grand that just sits covered up for most of the year, whereas I'd likely keep the shell installed for me year round.

Thoughts? Can tracks impose their own rules with regards to seats? PCA?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2009 | 04:42 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Hi,
This is from the Northeast region PCA rules for DE which basically says exactly what you stated.
Equal restraints are required for driver and passenger (if a passenger is present). "Equal restraints" means both occupants have the same level of equipment. NER/Zone 1 regions require that all instructors' cars that may take a passenger have equal restraints and that they "default up to the higher level of protection", i.e. if one has a five-point harness, both must have them.
At the tracks that I DE, I have not seen any limitations imposed.

FWIW, I put the 6-GT3 seats in my 986 and they are one of my favorite mods. They are reasonably comfortable and I don't move at all when cornering. On long trips they are a bit uncomfortable although I usually put a foam U-shaped pillow behind my neck as the seats are perfect only when I have a helmet on. The seats are relatively easy to install/uninstall and once you're up the learning curve you could probably do each side in less than 20 minutes.
Old 10-18-2009 | 07:25 PM
sparks259
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

as an instructor, i would not get into a car without equal restraints.
period, end of discussion.
Old 10-18-2009 | 07:30 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

restraints = seat belts? They would be the same in this case.
Old 10-18-2009 | 07:51 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whitey||C4S
restraints = seat belts? They would be the same in this case.
I think you are interpreting this correctly. If you put in a GT3 seat AND use the stock seat belt, then both driver and passenger have "equal restraints."

The rule is meant to prohibit putting in a race seat AND a harness JUST on the driver side.
Old 10-19-2009 | 01:00 AM
RamVA
Racer

I understand where you're coming from, but I'd say just get both. You can swap in the stock seat for your wife when you need to. My gf doesn't love the GT3 seats, but she doesn't complain too much. (She's most bummed about losing the seat heaters.)
Old 10-19-2009 | 09:41 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by RamVA
I understand where you're coming from, but I'd say just get both. You can swap in the stock seat for your wife when you need to. My gf doesn't love the GT3 seats, but she doesn't complain too much. (She's most bummed about losing the seat heaters.)
I think you may be right. When a single seat is ~$3000, might as well get both for less than double that. I wouldn't want to get into a 'sparks' situation at the track. Used seats that are in great condition are difficult to find.
Old 10-19-2009 | 03:19 PM
RamVA
Racer

Originally Posted by Whitey||C4S
I think you may be right. When a single seat is ~$3000, might as well get both for less than double that. I wouldn't want to get into a 'sparks' situation at the track. Used seats that are in great condition are difficult to find.
I got (gasp) replicas and I'm happy with them. Just bear in mind you'll probably have to drill the floor for the sub-belts.
Old 10-19-2009 | 03:22 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sparks259
as an instructor, i would not get into a car without equal restraints.
period, end of discussion.
Sometimes, as an instructor, I opt for the factory three-point when I take a look at the botched installations on "race" belts. And some have passed tech!
Old 10-19-2009 | 03:31 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race911
Sometimes, as an instructor, I opt for the factory three-point when I take a look at the botched installations on "race" belts. And some have passed tech!
+1. All the time it seems.
Old 10-19-2009 | 06:56 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Have you considered 997 sport seats? They bolt right into the 996. I bought some used GT3 sport seats{not buckets} with the alcantara inserts, and coupled them with the CGLock{it really works}, and I don't move around in the seat at all when I do DE's. They have bigger bolsters than the 996 sport seats, which holds you in the seat better, and they are also comfortable for 5 hour drives. Power recline, manual front to rear lever, manual lever for height adjustment. Maybe another option for you. I love mine.
Old 10-19-2009 | 07:33 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Maybe a set of Recaro RS4's

Or A8's?

Or new GT2/3 seats?

All of those are full reclining / adjustable street seats with lots of nice bolstering for track use.
Old 10-19-2009 | 08:43 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

I have a 6/GT3 seat on my side year-round, then swap in the passager side one 6x per year for track weekends (and install a harness bar and harnesses at the same time). It's not too much effort once you get the process memorized. Well worth the extra hour or so on either side of the weekend for the added safety and control on the track. Regardless of which seats are in the car, I make sure the factory 3-point belts are available and working for street driving to/from the track. It's not that hard. And if you are patient, you can find 6/GT3 seats used. PM me if you need a lead on a pair for sale on the west coast (I have a buddy who is thinking about getting rid of his).
Old 10-19-2009 | 11:56 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

my fix was a GT3 seat for me and no seat on the right side. WIth the LWFW, exhaust with 200 cell cats, and mod suspension, my wife would not get in the car regardless of what seat was in it
Old 10-23-2009 | 08:49 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

As a follow up, I wound up buying 2 seats. Sparks can instruct me if I should be so honored

Quick Reply: Seats For DE; OEM But Different