Sponsored by:

Who is experiencing cording of R6's

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 04:42 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who is experiencing cording of R6's

I have talked to a number of drivers who are experiencing cording issues of non loaded wheels recently These cars are all meticulously maintained with conservative race/track alignments. Personally I have corded the right front inside at lightening where typical where is outside. The remaining portion of the tire looks great. We can not find any wearing suspension parts and the toe looks fine, having just been aligned.

We are wondering if being a beveled vs a squareed tire if there is just not enough rubber on the edges.
Any similar issues or thoughts?????????????????????
Old 10-15-2009, 04:51 PM
DanR
Drifting

I run -2.7 camber up fron but the last 2 sets of R6's I have worn the OUTSIde of the front right wheel. Both times I took it back to the shop for alignment and they found no issue. I was planning to increase front camber as it is costing me a fortune (both sets less than 10 HC)

may be it is just me driving?
Old 10-15-2009, 04:51 PM
DanR
Drifting

I run -2.7 camber up front but the last 2 sets of R6's I have worn the OUTSIde of the front right wheel. Both times I took it back to the shop for alignment and they found no issue. I was planning to increase front camber as it is costing me a fortune (both sets less than 10 HC)

may be it is just me driving?
Old 10-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Clem
Racer

I have corded the outside fronts of two sets running nearly 4 degrees of negative camber. Both after ~12-15 heat cycles. Rears wear perfectly. This is on a 968 with 8.5" fronts wearing 245/40/18s.
No problems with the inner edges.
Seems I have the opposite problem??
Old 10-15-2009, 05:16 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I run a close to -3 camber.......

After 2 race week-ends my shop tells me they are all wearing beautifully even.....

Before the new suspension and set up I was cording the outsides much sooner than the insides.....

In my case it had alot to do (if not all of it) with the old suspension and old set up....
Old 10-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Pete Debusmann
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I think this problem is specific to the Lightning circuit in NJ. I have the same problem. I run the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups by the way. Last season I corded 3 different tires on the right front of my 993, all on the inside. Last Mon I corded another in the same way. When at lightning I try to rotate my tires and put a tire that is almost done on the outside shoulder onto the right front. Also after a few sessions with a good tire on the right front I'll move it to the left front to finish it up. This way I can usually balance the wear on my tires. The culprit is probably the light bulb turn. My front camber is set to -2.8 with zero toe.

Pete
Old 10-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

The Lightning course will definitely chew up the tires, and I'd be hesitant to blame anything else if that's your only data point.

With that being said, I have noticed that I'm recently starting to get significantly worse wear on my inside edges. I've worn down a set to the steel belts after approximately 15 heat cycles.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:42 PM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by Clem
I have corded the outside fronts of two sets running nearly 4 degrees of negative camber. Both after ~12-15 heat cycles. Rears wear perfectly. This is on a 968 with 8.5" fronts wearing 245/40/18s.
No problems with the inner edges.
Seems I have the opposite problem??
As I have the same issue I would love to know if other front engined 944 or 968's have this issue? I checked fender wear as I run same size wheels and they are ok!
Old 10-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still trying to figure out why you are cording your spare tire as it is the only tire that is not loaded. But seriously, right tire has the easy job at lighting and if you are good on toe and camber something is weird. What kind of pressures are you running? Are you sure it is not rubbing on something up inside the wheel well? You'd be amazed hw far your tire can travel up inside there. Lightning does chew up tires, must be something with the pavement.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:35 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just corded both fronts. Made an educated guestimate based on experience and a whole new suspension. More camber being dialed in even as we speak.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Im rear engine but no cording here. -3 degrees front. All 4 working beautiful...
Old 10-15-2009, 09:48 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

The timing of this post is perfect. I have a 968 with 18's and I've corded the left fronts at Thunderbolt twice now in less than 15 heat cycles. I run over -3 camber and have no issue with the right front. I think it's track specific because the wear is far less at Lightening and Lime Rock where I've run the 18's with a similar set up. I do think the 18's wear quicker than the 17's I previously run.

One thing that's worked is to flip the fronts every few runs to equalize wear.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:46 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I would look at the track...where mid ohio is pretty easy on tires Putnam park is like a cheese grinder. Also, I believe how your hc the tire on the 1st cycle does matter. Also, does the car u.s. or o.s.?
Old 10-16-2009, 08:56 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Track certainly matters for wear rates, but the wear patterns I'm leaning more towards alignment and suspension setups. We've got much higher rates than average, with 600# front springs and 34mm rear t-bars - car may also be lighter than some, scaling around 2550 with me in it. We've definitely experienced varied wear based on camber settings. I should mention I'm also running less swaybar than most - 23mm up front, 19mm in the rear. No Weltmeisters, just factory parts.

With 2.75 deg front and rear, we get very nice even wear across the tread face, with the rears wearing slightly faster.

But it's not as fast as it could be. With camber up to 3-3.25 deg front/rear, the car's much faster, but does wear the insides. We rotate agressively to try to mitigate that.

They eventually cycle out and we pitch 'em before we cord them; maybe 1-2 cycles before cording, they'll get a mild low spot where each circumferential tread depth groove was. Once that becomes evident, the tire usually has no good grip left and is at least a second, if not two, slower than new. Good for scrubbing in brakes, that's about it.

Of course - we are racing, not DE.

Depends, how bad you wanna go fast???
Old 10-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I corded 8 tires at the lightning club race. Not new tires by any stretch, but I never cord tires.

Quick Reply: Who is experiencing cording of R6's