Watkins Glen Critique please? *video*

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 09:21 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Watkins Glen Critique please? *video*

Had an absolutely fantastic 2 day event with Niagara PCA Monday and Tuesday. Huge thanks to the guys over there for putting on the event.

The video is from black run group, Tuesday, final session, final 2 laps. The car is a Nissan 350z (Track Edition) with koni double adjustables, 350evo sways, Pilot Sport Cups (265's on all 4 corners), stock VLSD, headers, exhaust, clutch, tune. Car weighs just over 3100lbs and made 252whp on a mustang dyno. Unfortunately the front bumper cover and undertray suffered some damage at the last event, which I damaged further pulling it into my trailer so I had to run without it which caused some undesirable understeer.

I realize from watching this after the fact that I was probably a bit tight on my entry to 5 after the bus stop, and that I can get on the throttle significantly earlier there. I also think I'm loosing a good bit of time due to a slightly tight line in 6 as well. Let me know what you guys think, comments and critique are welcome. Lap times were 2:15.4~ for those two laps.

More photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rutch/s...7622573622940/

Video:

350z Onboard - Vimeo
Old 10-14-2009, 09:37 PM
mater
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice smooth steering inputs.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:44 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

2:16 from what I saw. Very respectable.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

braking too early across the board, but in particular in T1 and prior to the bustop. Late on the throttle in general as well. Giving up a lot on T11 - way too late, you can be really early on that turn and just barely brush the brakes and then back to full throttle. There is about 10 feet of banking in T11 and you should exit to hit the curb long before the bridge.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:59 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

First time seeing one of those (350Z) driven well! ;-)

Like a momentum car but with power .. I read the upgrades - stock brakes ?? Maybe why you are on them .. heard they were just passable in stock form.

Nice vid.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:10 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
braking too early across the board, but in particular in T1 and prior to the bustop. Late on the throttle in general as well. Giving up a lot on T11 - way too late, you can be really early on that turn and just barely brush the brakes and then back to full throttle. There is about 10 feet of banking in T11 and you should exit to hit the curb long before the bridge.
Sean you need to stop telling drivers (potential racers) about T11. It's real dangerous late apex, be safe!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2009, 10:14 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Sean you need to stop telling drivers (potential racers) about T11. It's real dangerous late apex, be safe!!!!!!
oops, my bad...i didn't give up all the secrets though
Old 10-14-2009, 10:15 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the comments and suggestions so far.

It is on stock sized brakes, 2 piece rotors for replacement ease (and cost), and Ferredo DS3000 pads. But it has electronic brake distribution and VDC/yaw control disabled. So it's got your run of the mill abs which I still find odd to drive with (used to have e30's and a 944 turbo).

Sean, I can totally see what you mean about T11. In T1 I'm WOT from the time I get off the brakes at entry until I brake for the bus stop, the car just doesn't make enough power to let it be known (I get drag going up the esses). Though I was showing an indicated 143 before getting on the slow pedal for the bus stop.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:42 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

I was catching you in the touring in 5-6-7 - I attribute that in many ways to the lack of front bumper / understeer. Even with that, you have way more grip than you think and could pick up a couple tenths or more through T10/11 - trust me I think you had a bit MORE though the bus stop available, if you stay off the dragons and only on the turtles in the entry, crash the crap out of the ones on the left to rotate the car and go WOT from there, but then again I've been driving an under-powered front-heavy POS lately so what do I know.

Your line isn't too tight into 6 it's too slow. Brake less, brake later, and get on the power earlier, there's so much more grip than the "omg don't get lose and die" DE line they preach there.

Also, the car is closer to 3200lb. Not that I would know (oh wait, avatar pic?)

PS send me my damn drift-box file already!

Last edited by dmoffitt; 10-15-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:53 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 858 Posts

What Sean said. In addition, a couple of more observations:

-in T1, you need to be more decisive with turn in; this will get you more onto the apex curb & away from the track out curb; why is this key? because T1 is heavily banked....except for the track out curb; might as well stay in the banking, brake less, and carry more speed into 1; you are also holding steering too long there ( a common theme in my comments) in part because of your non-decisive turn in

-more gas sooner in Bus Stop

-your line in 5 can work because there is lots of grip inside, but IMO you need to "detatch" from the apex curb sooner; you're holding steering too long and keeping the car bound up there when it wants to go straighter

-your line in 6 is fine...but again you are holding all your steering input way too long; beging unwinding smoothly much sooner

-your 1st lap you way overbraked for 8; 2nd lap much better

-way overbraking for 10; like 1 it is heavily banked and much faster than it looks; just beware the trackout is not on camber (just like 1)

I'll bet you had no cooling issues!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 10-14-2009, 11:07 PM
JClark
Instructor

Originally Posted by cello
- stock brakes ?? Maybe why you are on them .. heard they were just passable in stock form.

Nice vid.
Originally Posted by MPD47
It is on stock sized brakes, 2 piece rotors for replacement ease (and cost), and Ferredo DS3000 pads. But it has electronic brake distribution and VDC/yaw control disabled. So it's got your run of the mill abs which I still find odd to drive with (used to have e30's and a 944 turbo).

I thought the brake complaints were only for base model 350z and the track package ones (like this car) were fine, if not great, in the brake department?

You can brake later and carry more speed into the bus stop and T10. T10 is probably a lift no brakes situation in your car. I think your line through 6 is spot on. More often than not, people waste too much time on the outside of the turn setting up a high load late apex.

Nice driving, thanks for posting the vid.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:16 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

I should've probably clarified. My complaints with the car are not in the braking department. I'll definitely take a closer look at 10 next time I'm there. I am currently lifting for it, and perhaps a slightly later turn in point and a bit earlier throttle to settle the car will help some.

VR, definitely no cooling issues, hahaha. Thanks for the pointers so far.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:26 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

VR, what your saying is

Turn 5

I should be a car width, to a car width and a half further towards the curbing with the wheel slightly straighter towards 6 at this point. Correct?

Turn 6

That I have no business trying to go fast and being this close to the inner curb this far down the hill with this much steering angle?

Right?
Old 10-14-2009, 11:30 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice driving Mike, and thanks for the kudos, I'm glad you had a nice time.

Why don't I remember seeing the sunshine that I see in your video?
Old 10-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 858 Posts

Mike, on 5, no, I am saying that--for example in the photo still above--I can clearly see the track out curbing, yet look how much steering lock you still have dialed in. You should be "releasing" the car already and letting it go where it wants to go, which is towards that track out curb.

In 6, exactly.

By the way, the silhouette on the passenger side windshield has to go! And you need a rear view mirror!!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen Critique please? *video*