Old 10-13-2009, 07:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
It is getting funnier by the post...

But you are right, there are better tracks than others to get valuable seat time. For me though, I will take all the seat time in 4 stroke indoor karts (at any track conveniently located) to keep reflexes, habits, and feelings as crisp as possible during the winter. There is now way in hell indoor karting didn't help me at lrp last april... after 7 months of total inactivity in a race car...DE or race. To me it is the most convenient and economical way to keeps skills from deteriorating in the dead season...
It is a conclusion based on limited input....you have only done indoor karting, so it is difficult to say if you would have experienced different results at LRP based on a different winter routine.

And I still fail to see the humor in any of these posts that you refer to.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:23 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Everything I know came from indoor karting....
Old 10-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Barfly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to agree with Lewis on this. Indoor karts provide a low level of off season preparation. I would rather fire up iRacing, read a book, go for a jog , whatever, over running indoor karts. Sure they provide "something," but not much. And comparing an indoor vs. an outdoor option (I know, winter...), it is barely the same sport.

_______
Jason
Old 10-13-2009, 08:28 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Limited input? You are making an assumption.

Last winter I only did indoor karting...yes.

I raced 100cc FA class vortex (if you karted you know these...) karts in 90 and 91 outdoors though.... I have an idea of the difference.

I agree whole heartedly that
2 stroke outdoor karts are a better training tool for racing in general, but when that option is not available, indoor, plain vanilla karts remain an amazing option imho. Wouldn't you agree?

And the humor... I just think that it is pretty big to say that indoor karting aint worth much. That's all.

Originally Posted by ltc
It is a conclusion based on limited input....you have only done indoor karting, so it is difficult to say if you would have experienced different results at LRP based on a different winter routine.

And I still fail to see the humor in any of these posts that you refer to.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:29 PM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Everything I know came from indoor karting....
Me too!!!
Old 10-13-2009, 10:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I agree whole heartedly that 2 stroke outdoor karts are a better training tool for racing in general, but when that option is not available, indoor, plain vanilla karts remain an amazing option imho. Wouldn't you agree?
I believe my position was that it would be better (staying in the winter karting activity, as originally posted) to travel to something like Bondurant (or even Russell), given the performance/feedback/benefits of an outdoor sprint kart combined with the total track hours/instruction compared to any potential benefits gained by an indoor concession kart, specifically F1Boston.

And the humor... I just think that it is pretty big to say that indoor karting aint worth much. That's all.
Again, my comments were with respect to indoor karting at F1Boston, knowing the track, karts, mechanics, track staff and program.
I believe I did mention that there are better indoor karting facilities (and equipment) to F1Boston.

Limited input? You are making an assumption.
Last winter I only did indoor karting...yes
And then you correlated your LRP performance directly to your winter F1 karting experience. A similar correlation could have been made to what color socks you were wearing vs your LRP performance. The correlation is based on a very limited set of data and it is not unusual the psychology of human performance to look for immediate cause and effect, again even if there is limited statistical backing.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:24 PM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by ltc
The correlation is based on a very limited set of data and it is not unusual the psychology of human performance to look for immediate cause and effect, again even if there is limited statistical backing.
Now, this is really and fluffy funny. ... Statiscally insignificant correlation...checking out. Gotta go to my indoor karting league! See ya!!!
Old 10-13-2009, 11:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Now, this is really and fluffy funny. ... Statiscally insignificant correlation...checking out. Gotta go to my indoor karting league! See ya!!!
Good luck.

http://indoorkartworldchampionship.com/
Old 10-14-2009, 12:18 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Me too!!!
They have grass on indoor kart tracks? Was that black grass Sean was upside down on with his brake lights on?

I would love to do more indoor karting but let's be realistic. I weigh 220, the guy in front of me weighs 150. I can tell, even during the yellow lap with the goveners engaged, when I have the go pedal shoved so far in my foot is up the 150LB guys ***, that he is pulling away from me.. Now either he has a CT Stock motor or weight (for some unknown reason physics can't explain) has something to do with it!!!
Old 10-14-2009, 07:26 AM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Now either he has a CT Stock motor or weight (for some unknown reason physics can't explain) has something to do with it!!!
Old 10-14-2009, 08:31 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I would love to do more indoor karting but let's be realistic. I weigh 220, the guy in front of me weighs 150. I can tell, even during the yellow lap with the goveners engaged, when I have the go pedal shoved so far in my foot is up the 150LB guys ***, that he is pulling away from me.. Now either he has a CT Stock motor or weight (for some unknown reason physics can't explain) has something to do with it!!!
I started a cart league at AllSports GP in VA 8 or 9 years ago. We were booked tight most nights but would let walk ins run with the group when there were slots open. The walk ins positions did not count but the racing was the same. One night a good sized 200 pound +guy comes in and signs up. He wiped the floor with the rest of us. Turns out he was a Kart champ from Brazil.

Karting can teach race craft. You learn how to size up the other drivers and how to exploit their weaknesses. It also lets you learn and hone good mental practice for keeping your head and race planning.

Which brand of tire works best at an indoor track and what H&N should be used?
Old 10-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Animus
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
I started a cart league at AllSports GP in VA 8 or 9 years ago. We were booked tight most nights but would let walk ins run with the group when there were slots open. The walk ins positions did not count but the racing was the same. One night a good sized 200 pound +guy comes in and signs up. He wiped the floor with the rest of us. Turns out he was a Kart champ from Brazil.

Karting can teach race craft. You learn how to size up the other drivers and how to exploit their weaknesses. It also lets you learn and hone good mental practice for keeping your head and race planning.

Which brand of tire works best at an indoor track and what H&N should be used?
You're leaving out some vital information here. How much do the rest of guys that were racing weigh? 200 lbs vs 180lbs is probably not a notable difference in karting. However trying racing a good junior who weighs under 100lb, and you being 200lb. There has got to be a difference here due to weight. No?

Quick Reply: Karting........